English Electric Lightning.

Now I like that Clive, very atmospheric and spot on with exposure.

Stuart

I remember seeing one of those take off from RAF Lechonfield. It went down the runway then went vertical on full reheat until you couldn't see it any more. Great shot of an often forgotten British aircraft.

Now I like that Clive, very atmospheric and spot on with exposure.

Stuart
Cheers Stu.

I remember seeing one of those take off from RAF Lechonfield. It went down the runway then went vertical on full reheat until you couldn't see it any more. Great shot of an often forgotten British aircraft.
What a great sight that must of been :)

I'm sure I can remember the lightning from Biggin Hilldisplays, but the memory is a little hazy because I was a relatively small boy and that was nearly 50 years ago.

I'm sure I can remember the lightning from Biggin Hill displays, but the memory is a little hazy because I was a relatively small boy and that was nearly 50 years ago.
Yep, the Lightning often flew at the early Biggin Hill displays, it's usual trick was to sneak in quietly just (a faint whistling sound) as the previous planes left the area, then when about halfway along the crowd-line perform the fastest 90 degree vertical climb I've ever seen, while deafening everyone for miles around with it's afterburners.

Of course that happened before the CAA stepped in with all their H&S rules..... ;)

Yep, the Lightning often flew at the early Biggin Hill displays, it's usual trick was to sneak in quietly just (a faint whistling sound) as the previous planes left the area, then when about halfway along the crowd-line perform the fastest 90 degree vertical climb I've ever seen, while deafening everyone for miles around with it's afterburners.

Of course that happened before the CAA stepped in with all their H&S rules..... ;)

My Dad was at Brands Hatch one year when a Lightning did this over the Clearways bowl, he said it made all the gravel stones on the ground jump up and down!!!!

D

I can well believe it with the sub-sonics from the back end of a Lightning, it could be hard to breathe sometimes just from the pressure-waves from those engines :D

We had a lightning at Boscombe down, the last flying. The last day of flying before it was retired, it did a display with a test pilot. Full reheat takeoff, wheels up and just pulled vertical, up and up. Then came back at max chat and broke the speed barrier very low over the runway. Stunning.

Interesting shot, any others?

We had a lightning at Boscombe down, the last flying. The last day of flying before it was retired, it did a display with a test pilot. Full reheat takeoff, wheels up and just pulled vertical, up and up. Then came back at max chat and broke the speed barrier very low over the runway. Stunning.

Interesting shot, any others?
A few more.....run shot a bit shaky though,think I was feeling some of that shockwave !

English Electric Lightning by Clive Weedon, on Flickr

English Electric Lightning by Clive Weedon, on Flickr

Clive

Excellent :D

The bass rumble through your chest even when a distance away. Reminiscent of trying to shoot concorde takeoff :D
Good flames shot, detail even in the dark. Whilst not technically perfect will be a great reminder of the day and the aircraft. Thanks for these.

Back