Environmental Portrait of my Father

I love this… and thinking in the same direction than Andrew, I tweaked…

Mark%20Fatherpp.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll spend a little more time editing it, am liking kodiaks rendition but not quite so dark, would prefer a halfway house between yours and mine.

would prefer a halfway house between yours and mine.

Just wanted to show a possible way with no pretension of any kind.
I like the way you see your father.

Just wanted to show a possible way with no pretension of any kind.
I like the way you see your father.
And I thank you for that, need to brush up on my old dodging and burning skills!

This is great.

Love it but would burn/vignette the top right to focus the light more on your dad

I'm generally not a fan of vignettes added in post; they rarely make sense with the light that's there and are often an attempt to remedy poor composition. In this case though I agree with Andy - you could darken the right. At the same time I'd lighten the left with a gradient and crop a smidge.

potter.jpg

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding dodging and burning; use it selectively without the need to impinge equally from a bad vignette.

I love this… and thinking in the same direction than Andrew, I tweaked…

Mark%20Fatherpp.jpg

Woah... too much IMO.

Just a dab in the top right as suggested would be my advice.

This is great.

I'm generally not a fan of vignettes added in post; they rarely make sense with the light that's there and are often an attempt to remedy poor composition. In this case though I agree with Andy - you could darken the right. At the same time I'd lighten the left with a gradient and crop a smidge.

View attachment 50608

Yeah... like that.

Woah... too much IMO.
This was not my idea of doing it (I have no right to interfere with Mark's artistic intent)
but an idea of what it would look like in say a very theatrical light, a suggestion.

Firstly thank you to all for your comments. I did take some care with this image but seems I rushed the processing so I had another go! Just comparing the two versions I can see how flat and without drama my original was. I am happier with this and have updated the original image in post #1.

Back