Critique Environmental portraits - First time using flash

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I recently bought myself a speedlight (Yongnuo 560iii) along with a trigger (YN560TX) for off-camera flash. It also came with a small 6x4" square diffuser. I roped a colleague into posing (he's also a photographer so it was less awkward getting him to pose!). We both work in conservation so I wanted to get some environmental-type portraits of him with chainsaw kit 'on location'.

I'm new to the concept of flash and while I've researched the principles, which I've tried to apply here, I know I'm a complete beginner, so any and all critique welcome (camerawork, flash use and PP).

Ben 7 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 6 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 5 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 4 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 3 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 2 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ben 1 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Working in conservation I'm surprised you can afford a flash gun! ;) Joking aside, it's a case of watch the shadows - that visor has repeatedly caused a few across Ben's face and glasses. I can't comment too technically as flash portraiture isn't my thing, but as general photos go I prefer Ben 2 and Ben 6, but that shadow from the visor runs right through his eye in 6 when you look more closely of view larger. However, it sets the saw in context with the surroundings, rather than cutting it in half or hiding most of it, which I think loses some context as a themed shot. Some of the others look a bit over-lit on one side, which I don't find appealing for portraits of this type. Hope this is useful.

I prefer Ben 6 - although his shirt is somewhat under exposed- be a good opportunity to photograph him actually using the Chain saw - might make for a more environmental portrait
doing what he does for a living - just a thought

I have adjusted the under exposure - just for fun :) & to demonstrate my comments

original

AYtvNGR.jpg

Edit

I0O8dva.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer Ben 6 - although his shirt is somewhat under exposed- be a good opportunity to photograph him actually using the Chain saw - might make for a more environmental portrait
doing what he does for a living - just a thought

I have adjusted the under exposure - just for fun :) & to demonstrate my comments

original

AYtvNGR.jpg

Edit

I0O8dva.jpg

Les :)
His neck looks weird in the edit... :)

Re-edit of the last one with my 'proper' processing workflow (I did the rest on the quick with Luminar 3). I think I went OTT in trying to correct for the green cast from the canopy and ended up rather magenta skin tones...

Ben 1 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think Ben 2 is the best it’s a lovely portrait, framed nicely by the swirly bokeh.

The env. portraits don’t really work for me, just looks a bit awkward.

I really love Ben 2. That's a lovely portrait. Ben 4 is an almost for me. Would love to see that composition come down and eliminate the head room and bring in more of the chainsaw, instead of cutting it off.

I'd echo what someone else just said and say I'd love to have seen him using the chainsaw, that would have been the icing on the cake. I like Ben 6 & 7 too, as part of the set they very nice.

Back