EOS M 22mm macro (ish) shot

this is very nice shot i think for me the dandelion seed would look better in top left corner with wire leading out of frame to right.

Is this any better? Couldn't go too far with the wire to the right cos there is an annoying bit of something on the wire that I found distracting.

IMG_2520r by blazingstarre, on Flickr

Is this any better? Couldn't go too far with the wire to the right cos there is an annoying bit of something on the wire that I found distracting.

IMG_2520r by blazingstarre, on Flickr

Crop a bit off the top.. Make the crop same as OP then it will look good... not quite there yet.

Now this is interesting. Firstly because there is another M user in the macro section :) but also, because I'd like to understand more about the need to "shift" the focus from one side of the frame to the other. @tintin are you left handed by any chance?

@knulp nice work. I wish the 22 would focus a bit closer, but you've done a good job with it here. To focus close up it's best to use manual (especially if paired with the original M body). It's a very sharp little thing when everything comes together. I assume you have a bit of space to play with, with regard to cropping. My own preference would be to leave a bit more space around the seed head, but retain a similar composition.

I like it, I really do.

And what's more, it aint got 14 eyes or 23 legs, that make it refreshing in my eyes for CU/macro.

Many thanks for the kind words :)
My own intuitive beginners take on the left/right composition thing has to do with gravity. In the first edit the eye needs a slight effort to follow the image upwards whereas on the other edit the eye starts from the left and slides down along the wire more comfortably.

because I'd like to understand more about the need to "shift" the focus from one side of the frame to the other. @tintin are you left handed by any chance?

Not left handed... If you follow the barbed part of the wire it is all point into the rhs which makes you flow the eye to the right and then down the wire... being downhill actually helps but now I wonder if wire was horizontal would this work even better?

Also it is that most of the western world reads from left to right so this is the natural way for our eyes to flow.

Back