Epic news Gov to bring forward ban on new dirty cars to 2030

I don't see it happening, the technology really isn't advancing and the cars are simply too expensive. This would simply be a way of driving the poor/middle class off the road. Wages are being forced down, more people unemployed and a public transport system which doesn't perform and is too expensive. Have a look at this review. My cusrrent car cost less than £3K, does over 550 miles on a tankfull and takes 5 minutes to "recharge". It took my good wife and I on a 2000 mile tour to Vienna last year with all our luggage, no stress.
No electric car could do that.

I don't see it happening, the technology really isn't advancing and the cars are simply too expensive. This would simply be a way of driving the poor/middle class off the road. Wages are being forced down, more people unemployed and a public transport system which doesn't perform and is too expensive. Have a look at this review. My cusrrent car cost less than £3K, does over 550 miles on a tankfull and takes 5 minutes to "recharge". It took my good wife and I on a 2000 mile tour to Vienna last year with all our luggage, no stress.
No electric car could do that.

i love it when people just don't read the article and just spout out there vitriol

so just for you
.It's understood that new hybrid cars – those with electric motors as well as engines – will get a stay of execution: they will be banned from 2035

.It's understood that new hybrid cars – those with electric motors as well as engines – will get a stay of execution: they will be banned from 2035

That will be fine if 10 year old hybrids are similar in price to a petrol / desiel engine, not everyone can afford 10K or more for a car.

That will be fine if 10 year old hybrids are similar in price to a petrol / desiel engine, not everyone can afford 10K or more for a car.

again you're not readying the article.

so to summarise

you will still be able to buy dirty ICE only cars until 2030 and i would imagine you will be able to buy and sell used said dirty cars after that date.
Only when 2035 comes then again the sale of cars with hybrid and ICE will cease. i suspect again the sale of used semi dirty cars will continue.

after 2035 only new cars that are fully electric can be sold as NEW.

the BBC understands. ....It's understood that

That's journo code for "the work experience just made this up while I spent Friday afternoon in the pub"

------------------------------------
* obviously not literally in the pub because they are closed and even most feature writers are WFH. More like on the sofa with a box of pinot grigio surfing Netflix.

i love it when people just don't read the article and just spout out there vitriol

so just for you

Vitriol :D:D:D
Just facts.

" Boris Johnson is poised to announce that the government is bringing forward by a decade a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars to 2030 from 2040, the BBC understands. "

And we can all trust what the BBC says ........................ I don't think !

Govt 'leak' to ingratiate Boris with Biden in time for next years COP26 summit?

As I understand it, EVs are not clean, they may be cleaner than ICE cars but they still pollute, releasing particulates from tyres and brakes......

Bringing the ban forward to 2030 is old news, it was mentioned 12-18 months ago. The only fresh news is that hybrids have been given a 5year stay of execution.

Do people really think any major manufacture will still be making fossil fuel only cars in ten years anyway. The big companies are moving to hybrid or all electic at a pace , it'll not be a government ban that stops you buying, it's that non will be made in the first place, and I'm all for it.

Oh but they won't do 500 miles on a single charge, but who the hell drives 500 in a single non stop trip anyway, VERY VERY VERY few people.

Hydrogen is coming on stream. My council has 3 hydrogen refuse trucks.

Do people really think any major manufacture will still be making fossil fuel only cars in ten years anyway. The big companies are moving to hybrid or all electic at a pace , it'll not be a government ban that stops you buying, it's that non will be made in the first place, and I'm all for it.

Oh but they won't do 500 miles on a single charge, but who the hell drives 500 in a single non stop trip anyway, VERY VERY VERY few people.

That would be my average daily trip on a 2 week staged holiday in Europe, and there are plenty of other motorists doing that. Non stop is irrelevant because you have to stop for comfort breaks, which wouldn't be long enough to charge an electric car.
The really "dirty" forms of transport, are military vehicles of all kinds, cruise ships, bulk carriers, commercial and private aircraft. Cars are just a drop in the ocean compared with them.

I don’t claim to be an expert on electric vehicles but people who I’ve met through work who do consider themselves to be experts in the field all say how extremely wasteful electric vehicles are and that there is very little way to sustain the need of the worldwide population that would need them if we were to ‘outlaw’ normally fuelled cars.

Most of them are of the belief that electric vehicles are just a minor stop gap as a ‘reaction’ to the outcry of climate change rather than sitting down and coming up with a proper way of dealing with it, as the damage done to the environment one way or another isn’t much different to how normally fuelled cars are produced and run, it just looks greener when the finished product isn’t belching out smoke, but the lead up to them coming off the production line is a totally different story as is the repair procedure of them.

I honestly don’t know one way or the other, I think I’d be happy just going everywhere on my pushbike if everyone else had to as well, plus that would be pretty hilarious, imagine the school run. :LOL:

I've nothing against a full electric vehicle but they remain relatively niche to be honest, IF every vehicle type we currently have could be electric and have a 500 mile range then maybe by 2035 yes, but I'll be 85 by then anyway and I wont be driving as I plan to give up my licence before that.

I'm so glad I bought my new Skoda Kodiaq 2 litre diesel in September, such a nice car!
Diesel has certainly come along way since the days of the old rattling and banging Ford Granada and the like.
Very quiet very smooth plenty of low down torque Popular with the caravan towing community too (y)
Hang on, there is a good reason to ban them right there :D
2035 I'll be 85 by then
You don't look 70 in your Avatar ? :D

Diesel has certainly come along way since the days of the old rattling and banging Ford Granada and the like.
Very quiet very smooth plenty of low down torque Popular with the caravan towing community too (y)
Hang on, there is a good reason to ban them right there :D

Agreed there on the caravans! Weirdly the particular Kodiaq I have cannot legally have a towbar fitted, not that I need or want one.

You don't look 70 in your Avatar ? :D

Early morning maths! Sh*t yeah, I added 20 years to my life there! Now I have 20 more years to live yayyyyy :banana::banana::banana::beer:

The Govt need to say what they are going to do about ensuring there is adequate energy generation capacity and charging infrastructure in place to support the charging needs of all of these EVs. As has been said on many occasions, motorists who do not have access to off-street parking are at a particular disadvantage.

I still think there is scope for hydrogen powered ICE and maybe hydrogen fuel cell EVs to be further developed. I am not convinced replacing all private cars with EV will be practical or possible. As for HGV, LCV and recreational vehicles such as motorhomes & towcars for trailers of various types, who knows how they will be powered.

In parallel with addressing ICE vehicles, there needs to be a plan to tackle the millions of gas and oil fired central heating systems that are in use across the country. Using electricity to heat homes is expensive, heat pumps are very expensive, there's a limit to how much retro-fitting insulation can be done to our housing stock. The Govt short-term Green Homes grant looks like it is floundering as people struggle to find accredited installers....

Last edited:
It always makes me smile when some attention grabbing politician with little or no technical knowledge comes up with statements like these. To replace the installed power output of the current numbers of fossil fuel cars with battery powered vehicles will require a massive increase in the production of electricity.

This has to be generated in new power stations as there isn't enough land or sea area in the UK to build enough windmills. Therefore to be in any way 'green' they will have to be LNG powered, which will have to be imported, making our balance of payments deficit impossibly large.

Not only that, but that power has to be distributed via the national grid, local transformers and cabling which will require huge amounts of copper to be refined and mayhem on local roads while the cabins is installed.

It always makes me smile when some attention grabbing politician with little or no technical knowledge comes up with statements like these.
Its a brilliant idea obviously, BUT unfortunately no one ever seems to think about the infrastructure and the day to day practicalities
for the average guy.
I mentioned way back, ( in another thread of this ilk ) that new houses ( certainly around here) are being built with no drive just a parking space, if you are lucky
its pretty close to your house, if not its a 100 yards away in a communal area.

Perhaps the local authorities are going to provide free charging points in these circumstances?
No I didn't think so either.

Last edited:
It always makes me smile when some attention grabbing politician with little or no technical knowledge comes up with statements like these. To replace the installed power output of the current numbers of fossil fuel cars with battery powered vehicles will require a massive increase in the production of electricity.
Replacing the current number of fossil fuel cars is a long way off yet. This is for new car sales only, fossil fuel cars can still be used after 2030(5).
New car sales have been falling in the UK for a couple of years prior to the massive drop that this year has brought. Car sales are likely to be a slow recovery and there is no guarantee of what level they are likely to recover to yet.

EV sales seem to be up on last year rather than down.

EV sales seem to be up on last year rather than down.
Mild hybrid (fossil engine with electric motor assistance) sales are also up, but UK new car sales are down by a third so far this year. EV sales for September saw an increase of 184% over September 2019, but Petrol mild hybrid saw a much better increase of 422% for the same two months.

Its a brilliant idea obviously, BUT unfortunately no one ever seems to think about the infrastructure and the day to day practicalities
for the average guy.
I mentioned way back, ( in another thread of this ilk ) that new houses ( certainly around here) are being built with no drive just a parking space, if you are lucky
its pretty close to your house, if not its a 100 yards away in a communal area.

Perhaps the local authorities are going to provide free charging points in these circumstances?
No I didn't think so either.

The gov is thought to be ready to announce "practical" help for people who live in tower blocks. They are to be offered extra long extension cables (maximum 3 cable reels per flat) at a discount price so that they can throw the cables out of a window in order to connect to their vehicles. That should permit several hundred cars to be simultaneously charged.

help for people who live in tower blocks. They are to be offered extra long extension cables (maximum 3 cable reels per flat) at a discount price so that they can throw the cables out of a window in order to connect to their vehicles.
What a brilliant idea (y)

:LOL:

The gov is thought to be ready to announce "practical" help for people who live in tower blocks. They are to be offered extra long extension cables (maximum 3 cable reels per flat) at a discount price so that they can throw the cables out of a window in order to connect to their vehicles. That should permit several hundred cars to be simultaneously charged.
Not forgetting to plug all three extension cables into a 4-way adapter to save on household sockets.....

It will also keep the local firefighters busy putting out all the fires caused by the overheated electricity cables.:D

It will also keep the local firefighters busy putting out all the fires caused by the overheated electricity cables.:D
More to the point people will be stealing someone else's electric by pluging in their own appliances.
But no matter the idea is still "sound"

:D

And more seriously this is something I've been saying, may well happen, for a few years now..

The Treasury, according to The Times, is exploring ways in which Rishi Sunak can replace lost fuel duty and vehicle excise duty (VED) - known more widely as car tax - as the shift to electric vehicles gathers pace.

Ideas for such a move include a road toll system or "pay-as-you-drive" - a concept last explored by Tony Blair's government in 2007 but abandoned due to opposition from motorists.

SOURCE

Remember there will be more energy usage from charging and do we have the power network to support that? The industry is clearly heading down the electric path but there seems to be a case for synthetic fuel technology to replace petrol and diesel. Personally as a petrol head I'll miss ICE vehicles

I wonder how much power is currently used to refine fuel and how much energy is used transporting it round the world/country.

Our reason for having an EV is to reduce the point of use emissions - for fun, I far prefer my bikes! Having said that, once this virus is more under control, I'll be having a look at an electric bike. By that time, there might be a choice of models with a reasonable range (but my current main ride only does about 100 miles between "charges" anyway!)

@Nod exactly right on the head, its all about "point of use"
moving away from fossil fuels is all about taking the stench of pollution out of our towns and cities
outside our schools, all the places, hybrid cars are ace because in most of these places the speed limits are very low so the cars run on batteries.

Millions of car/van owners do not have any off-road parking and I see many problems.

By running cables across roadside paths from the house is asking for trouble, people tripping over, local yobs unplugging cables, Pikies pinching cables.

There really needs to be some real grown-up thinking about this as there are too many real-world negatives at present

hybrid cars are ace because in most of these places the speed limits are very low so the cars run on batteries.
I think most people would eventually be happy to get on board with a self charging hybrid, but I'm sure I read somewhere they are being banned too.

I think most people would eventually be happy to get on board with a self charging hybrid, but I'm sure I read somewhere they are being banned too.

not till 2035

not till 2035
So same as all the other ICE's then.
Personally I think its a mistake, and would have been a great way to make the transmission TBH

Last edited:
In my opinion a plug-in hybrid is probably more versatile than a self-charging hybrid as they generally offer a better range on battery power because they tend to have bigger batteries. Neither plug in or self charge hybrids are particularly efficient on motorways driving any distance at a constant speed.

Back