Epson P600 Ink Swap

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
The P600 has a Photo Black and Matte Black which would normally be chosen depending on the paper. However, changing between the two blacks wastes lots of ink (and not just the black ink). So I had decided to use all one of the blacks before swapping. The problem is that you may be forced to use gloss when you want matte and vice versa. One club member mentioned he had got round this by always using gloss (paper and ink). More interesting a visiting speaker mentioned that you could stick to gloss ink always but can also use matter paper as well. He recommended obtaining bespoke profiles for the Matte papers with gloss ink and showed several examples which looked very good. Today having printed on glossy paper with Photo black I tried then printing again but substituting the matte paper. The result was that the printer decided I really wanted Matte ink and swapped wasting lots of ink again. Does anyone know a way of stopping it changing inks? If not I will ask Epson.

Dave

The P600 has a Photo Black and Matte Black which would normally be chosen depending on the paper. However, changing between the two blacks wastes lots of ink (and not just the black ink). So I had decided to use all one of the blacks before swapping. The problem is that you may be forced to use gloss when you want matte and vice versa. One club member mentioned he had got round this by always using gloss (paper and ink). More interesting a visiting speaker mentioned that you could stick to gloss ink always but can also use matter paper as well. He recommended obtaining bespoke profiles for the Matte papers with gloss ink and showed several examples which looked very good. Today having printed on glossy paper with Photo black I tried then printing again but substituting the matte paper. The result was that the printer decided I really wanted Matte ink and swapped wasting lots of ink again. Does anyone know a way of stopping it changing inks? If not I will ask Epson.

Dave
Not 100% sure but I think there are some active users (may also have been a comprehensive review?) of the Epson P600 over at the Luminous Landscape forum site.

HTH (perhaps?) :)

You can stop it happening automatically by turning off on printer panel as per northlight images... website worth looking at
1568543257923.jpeg

It uses 4.6 ml matte to photo black and 1.6 ml the other way.

Last edited:
Thanks both. I did look at Luminous Landscape Forum and did discover two useful tips: -

a. You can turn the auto Change off as above
b. You can also select Ink Saving mode which cuts the waste on the matte to Photo black direction

Both of these default to the mode which wastes the most ink; I wonder why Epson would do that ;)

Dave

Back