Review Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my Epson R200 now for over 3 years and while it still works perfectly I've long had a hankering for a large format printer - enter the 1400, bought from Amazon for £248 inc delivery.

StylusPhoto1400_401_401.jpg

Now I was prepared for it to be bigger but crikey! it's enormous compared to the R200, a full 60cm wide and 30cm deep without the extending bits so if you have any plans to get an A3 printer make sure you have plenty of desk space free for it.

My first test print was on my favourite A4 paper, Ilford gallerie classic pearl, print quality is excellent as expected but the claria ink does not dry fast on this paper and I ruined it by touching the surface, I'm also not happy about some apparent surface artifacts on this paper but will run some more through to check on that. I hope it's going to come right because I've come to really like that paper over the last few years.

I got hold of some Canon A3 matt photo and some Epson A3+ premium semi gloss papers. I tried the Canon first and the initial print looked good but a bit faint so I tried again with the same settings and it was noticably darker (I put this down to the ink not being properly fed through the print head for the first try but not sure that's right) The ink dried quickly which I expected with the paper being matt and the quality was very good. Canon recommends you leave prints for 24 hours to make sure the ink is completely dry which is common sense.

On to the Epson paper, I expected this to give good results and was not disappointed, print quality is absolutely stunning, the ink dries pretty much instantly with no sign of any coppering of the blacks so far.

Ink, before I bought the printer I had not really thought about the cartridge size but now that it's here and in place the cartridges really do seem small for the amount of ink you go through. I've not decided yet wether I have enough need for a cis system though I can certainly see the advantages, or wether to go for aftermarket cartridges, these are not readily available yet as the claria inks are still too new.
I'll update this review once I've had a chance to try out some of the ink options.

Obviously the printer, ink and paper are designed to work together and that's what puts me off trying a CISS for my HP printer - having a trustworthy review of, and supply of ink. HP were great about a replacement under warranty of the printer, which was bought new off fleabay for less than £40. But then it's only for A4 and smaller . . .

I have had one of these for over a year now, and have been delighted with its performance. I always use genuine Epson ink cartridges and Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper.

I have an Epson 1400 too and use a CIS system from Fotospeed, together with Fotospeed paper. Fotospeed offer a free profiling service for users of their paper too.

The results are very good.

Anthony.

what are the inks prices on these printers!

Hi

I have one of these, excelent printers

I use a CISS on mine and get stunning results on the Jessops Glossy paper that I use.

Full set of Epson Inks is between £60 to £80 depending on were and if you can get them.

CISS system including 100ml of each colour £45 replacement inks 100ml of each colour £15 no contest realy

Paul

Last edited:
Yeah I'd say and CIS system has got to be a no brainer considering the cost of a full replacement set. I've had a test page from the 1400 sent from Marrutt using their CIS and the results are stunning.

http://www.marrutt.com/epson-1400.php

EDIT: haha, a bit late, just saw your other thread :p

Last edited:
The printer is first class I have had mine for coming up for two years.

The cheapest original inks for the above that I have found come from base.com Found them via amazon when I purchased a set of inks and they came from base.com, so this time I have ordered direct.

My Dad uses Hannemule (sp?) papers with his Epson 2100 A3+ printer and gets excellent results

guys i wouldnt use anything but epson inks in epson printers. i know the cost is lower but after some of the wrecked printheads i have seen i wouldnt recommend it.

guys i wouldnt use anything but epson inks in epson printers. i know the cost is lower but after some of the wrecked printheads i have seen i wouldnt recommend it.

You cannot 100% blame aftermarket ink for damaged print head's, as on epson printers the print heads arent changed with the cartridges like other printers.

I have two epson printers (rx685 & 1400) both run on CISS and have been for over a year each and I still get perfect prints and results from the inks and paper I use.

i have had my 1400 now for six mths and used third party inks from using the supplied ink up. perfect results on jessops glossy and likewise with mirror paper. and at £12 a set i find cheaper than a ciss system.

i understand that the printhead isnt changed but trust me i used to work for a repair centre and the only time printheads failed as due to inks. not saying they are all bad but tbh i wouldnt risk it. just tryin to help. also on lazer printer 3rd party toners liked to explode lol

i have had my 1400 now for six mths and used third party inks from using the supplied ink up. perfect results on jessops glossy and likewise with mirror paper. and at £12 a set i find cheaper than a ciss system.

CISS system may seen more expensive at 1st, but the refill ink is £15 for 100ml of ink of each colour so works out at less than 10p a cartridge.

I used to use the £12sets that you talk about but CISS has saved me £££'s and im sure im not the only one on here in the same boat.

Back