Erm... It's Probably Me But....

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Jobo 1520 Unitank. (Note stated film capacities on side)

2947375955_5da4d742c8_o.jpg

OK... two 135 (35mm) films, I'm cool wid dat.

2948231040_935fe03ae5_o.jpg

One spiral removed, and the spacing altered to accept 120 film...

2947376169_98ed991637_o.jpg

Two 120 films? They're 'avin a larf, right? :D

:thinking:

1 x 220.....humm

could you put 2 120 films on the same spiral ?

if you could......post dat vid pls..

:)

will do in the morning, in fact thinki of getting shut of all my B/W darkroom, all of it, 2 enlargers, alll dev baths all sizes x 6, and theres loads, complete, including massive fills 3 drawers in a chest of drawers, amount of paper, plus 2 pentax SLR film cameras,lens filters the lot, as I dont use them and its a shame really never used them since we moved home,

The answer is indeed two 120 rolls on one spool.

Surprisingly it is not quite the nightmare you would expect, the trick being to push the first roll almost but not quite to the centre of the spiral before trying to load the second one.

Hmmm I was afraid that might be the answer. I'm more familiar with Patterson tanks, and it was often a struggle to get one roll of 120 fully loaded. Perhaps the Jobo will be easier - interestingly, I see they don't use the ball bearing ratchet load system on the spiral.

Hmmm I was afraid that might be the answer. I'm more familiar with Patterson tanks, and it was often a struggle to get one roll of 120 fully loaded. Perhaps the Jobo will be easier - interestingly, I see they don't use the ball bearing ratchet load system on the spiral.

The Jobo spirals are IMHO far superior to the Patterson ones.

Those blasted ball bearings have a nasty habit of "locking up" leaving me with a film half onto a spiral and refusing to budge resulting in crescent shaped kink marks on the film. This is particularly the case with wider formats and is not so much of an issue with 35mm.

The lack of the ball bearings requires a slight modification of technique. You get the end of the film into the spiral (taking care to get it in nice and straight) and then you hold the spiral with the point where the film leads in at the top and with the tips of your thumbs next to the lead-in point. You then can use gentle pressure of alternate thumbs to grip the film as you turn that side of the spiral away from you.

It sounds a bit complicated but once you get used to it it is really easy and you should find that the film slides into the spiral far more smoothly and with less resistance than with the Patterson one.

At the risk of teaching egg-sucking to my Granny it is vital that the spiral and your hands are completely dry. Even a tiny amount of moisture will result in the rapid realisation that you are navigating the effluent stream without a propulsion system!

The Jobo spirals are IMHO far superior to the Patterson ones.

Those blasted ball bearings have a nasty habit of "locking up" leaving me with a film half onto a spiral and refusing to budge resulting in crescent shaped kink marks on the film. This is particularly the case with wider formats and is not so much of an issue with 35mm.

The lack of the ball bearings requires a slight modification of technique. You get the end of the film into the spiral (taking care to get it in nice and straight) and then you hold the spiral with the point where the film leads in at the top and with the tips of your thumbs next to the lead-in point. You then can use gentle pressure of alternate thumbs to grip the film as you turn that side of the spiral away from you.

It sounds a bit complicated but once you get used to it it is really easy and you should find that the film slides into the spiral far more smoothly and with less resistance than with the Patterson one.

At the risk of teaching egg-sucking to my Granny it is vital that the spiral and your hands are completely dry. Even a tiny amount of moisture will result in the rapid realisation that you are navigating the effluent stream without a propulsion system!

Thank you! That's a little more reassuring. (y) LOL. Those crescent shaped marks were a PITA!! :puke:

What is all this stuff? Looks alien to me, some kind of medievil apparatus - jiggery poker be going on here.

:coat:

Gary.

Thank you! That's a little more reassuring. (y) LOL. Those crescent shaped marks were a PITA!! :puke:

You're welcome!

As with all these things it is a little daunting at first but once you have done it a couple of times the terror fades and it soon becomes automatic.

If you have a failed roll which you have not cut into short lengths use it to practice with until you feel more comfortable. Strangely it doesn't matter if I am in a darkroom or using a changing bag I find loading the spiral easier with my eyes tightly shut, figure that out if you can!

@ Digital_Clarity: I feel much the same about digital PP :shrug: Just a few minutes in front of a computer screen with PS on it and I am ready to run into a darkened room - either to lie down with a damp flannel over my head or to muck about with reassuringly smelly toxic chemicals!

You can put two 120 films or one 220 film into the spiral. The spirals should have a small red peg which you set after you have loaded the first film. Then the second film is loaded until it seats against the peg.

Ernie

If you've got the rotating processor that keeps the tank moving all the time, forget the spirals all together and just chuck a load of films in. ;);)

Agree with Ernie,

There are film seperating tags that go between the 2 120 films

I don't got no red pegs, but I do have some black clip things. The guy who I bought the Jobo off had no idea what they are! I'll post a piccy.

EDIT

Aboiut an inch long. The lens cap is off the 50mm 14.

2949775962_8c6e85c643_o.jpg

If you've got the rotating processor that keeps the tank moving all the time, forget the spirals all together and just chuck a load of films in. ;);)

I do like your approach Daz! :D

The black things are for multiple prints in one drum.

Not all the Jobo spirals have the red clip things attached.

Obviously some one who has never developed film lol.

The film would stick together and if colour development then the film would be soft due to the high temperatures and would scratch.

Ernie.

If its all too dificult for you CT i'll swap if for this.

If its all too dificult for you CT i'll swap if for this.

Bargain! A simple repair too I'd imagine. (y)
Edit...
Ooh I see he got it working - even better.

Not submersible, so not so good for colour, but that should save a lot of faffing about with B&W.

You're welcome!
If you have a failed roll which you have not cut into short lengths use it to practice with until you feel more comfortable. Strangely it doesn't matter if I am in a darkroom or using a changing bag I find loading the spiral easier with my eyes tightly shut, figure that out if you can!

Both my dad and I closed our eyes tight when working in a changing bag or in the darkroom doing something fiddly... It's funny!

220 film has no backing paper, consiquently this doubles the length of the film that can be fitted on to a '120' spool in the camera. ( you usually need a deicated 220 film back)

Thus the jobo film reel will accept 1 x 220 film or 2 x 120 films.

Back