Err99 in my 20D with EF75-300, help.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello pals.

Today I was shooting on track at the Champ Car World Series in México City, and suddenly I get the Err 99 message on the top screen.

This was while using the 75-300, Tv mode, i turned off and on again, shot again, same message. I decide to remove the battery for a few seconds, put it back. I shot like 5 more photos and ERR 99 again.

As I was in the warm up, so I decide to run to the media center where my laptop is, and install the new firmware 2.0.3 that I just downloaded yesterday. I succesfully install the new firmware, I download and format both of my CF cards (Sandisk Ultra II 1GB and 512MB), so I can start clean again. Go onto track again, a few minutes after the race. I shoot like 20 shots and there comes again the ERR 99.

:ponders:

But this time I realize that the ERR 99 was appearing when I was shooting a passing car, making the lens focus rapidly to different spots. I remove the battery again for almost a minute, just to be sure it was reset. Put it again, and used the lens on Manual Focus, instead of AF.

The problem was solved. (apparently)

My EF75-300 is an old lens I have from my 35mm camera. 2 weeks ago when shooting the Panamerican Race, I feel that the AF was having some problems some times getting the focus right. This make me think that the ERR 99 is because my lens, that has something wrong with it.

Later at home I try my EF 28-105 and the EF-S 18-55, shooting different things at different speeds, etc. And the ERR 99, never came back, since i put again the 75-300, there was the err 99 at the second shot, remove the battery, put the lens to M again, and I shoot like 30-50 shots, in different speeds, etc. Never again. Then I put it to AF again, and shoot another 30-50 shots, and the Err99, didn't show again.

Do I have to worry about the camera? :ponders: Or it's just my old lens.

Regards

I'm probably completely off but after reading through your post it sounds like the battery isn't powerful enough sometimes to power the camera with certain lenses attached.

Maybe this is the problem regarding the dreaded ERR 99 message that seems to affect the 20D that many owners have reported? :ponders:

It's just a thought/observation, as I'm not really familiar with the 20D myself.

The error 99 is a sort of catch all error code, however from your detailed explination above it seems to me that you have narrowed down the cause to only one lens and also when it is in AF mode only. From that it says to me that the fault has to lie in one of two areas and is not camera based at all. I would suggest that either the camera is losing or getting a strange signal from the the lens or that the lens is indeed faulty and unable to do what the camera is telling it so the camera then reports back to you the error99 fault.

I would check and clean all the contacts on the lens properly and also on the camera too (just for good measure) to help rule out an intermittant lost signal issue and see if that clears up the problem, if not try to find someone else with another 20D and try your lens on that camera, again this should help narrow down if its a lens issue or not. The other thing is that if the lens is an Image stabalizing lens (you have not mentioned it) then it will require more current and power to function properly,this will also be the case with older lenses that maybe not as efficient as new models of the same, in either case make sure that batteries are fully charged and in good condition to give as much power as required.

Let us know how you get on.

I will look for another 20d user here, where I can try my lens. My lens is not a IS one. Is just a EF 74-300 USM of the first generation of usm ones so its kinda old. :(

I will make some tests during the week after I clean all the contacts.

Thanks for your help

I borrowed a 75-300 old Canon EF lens from someone not long after I got my 20D. Only had it for a week or so but got no errors.

I have had err99 with my 100-400 IS but the battery was getting low so I put it down to that. Not happened again since. How was your battery level? Do you have a different battery to try?

I've had error 00 using the 100-400, this meant the IS mechanism failed.
Replaced on warrenty.

I've only had error99 when using extension tubes, this was down to the lens and camera not connecting through the contacts properly.

I've used the 75-300 Is at several motorsports events on my 20D without issues. Slightly different lens, but the same USM assembly iirc.

Could you be twisting the lens away from the body as you pan with the action? If so I feel you might be allowing the lens to twist away from the contacts on the body. This would show up in the circumstances your describing.

I've used that combo in MF and AF and find that the A1 servo worked well, adjusting the focus as I tracked the action.

Have a clean of the contacts on both the lens and body and give it another go, this time giving the whole camera a little more support and twisting your body in a smooth action.

We have similar problems with older lenses that we use.
Some of the 35-70mm lenses in the stores were originally bought as part of the F90x kits about 10 years ago and we have major dramas using them on the D1h and X bodies.
Same thing with the older 600mm lenses.
In view of that, we're now purchasing replacements for everything - I'll have the new silent-wave VR lenses by Xmas apparently, just in time to bugger them up in Iraq:)

You should check compatability with the manufacturer - they'll probably say it should work fine, but if in doubt, replace with a newer lens.

Actually I think that most of the times I get this error was when I was panning, could be that I was twisting the lens to get the complete car. could be... :ponders:

I will try this weekend again, after I clean the lens and camera contacts, and try to pan more smoothly, and then lets see what happen.

thanks all!

Back