Esme

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought a £20 brollybox from Amazon, so couldn't resist getting a few shots with the Granddaughter today - really like the light from it, especially with a reflector at the opposite side, but still nice fall-off with no reflector.

These are just JPEG's transferred by wireless to the tablet then a minimum of tidying in Snapseed.

Tried a few with a hairlight, but never liked them. Probably just a personal thing, but it's not a look I'm fond of.....

Both with OM-D E-M10 II & 45mm F1.8 @ F4

Reflector used with this one.
3502yxu.jpg

No reflector here.
2w3t2ki.jpg

Funny how photos on a photography forum get zero comments...... I'll remember and add them to my next 'Which walkabout lens?' post which will no doubt get plenty of replies...... :)

Nice, crisp shots with good contrast of subject against background, as with separation. A little over exposed on the RH side for my taste, and I would have edited out the white fleck at the top of her left nostril in both shots. Eyes and catch lights are pleasing. Maybe a little more depth of field to nail the sharpness across the whole face, or at least the extremities of both eyes as the subject is at an angle to the lens.

Regards

Tim

They both look soft on my calibrated monitor too look at her eyes - no 2 is definitely over exposed and the softer of the 2 images- well you did ask :D

Les ;)

original
FXLG4Ua.jpg

sharpened Edit

LBY38Ta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the comments, guys..... I'd like to say, I agree with all the comments to this point. The originals are extremely sharp, but think some of that has been lost in the downsizing/uploading process. I also thought that shooting at F5.6 on m43 would give me plenty DOF, but perhaps less than I hoped for, or focus wasn't quite where I wanted it to be...... seeing the comparison of 2 above really lets you see the difference - I'd only edited and viewed them on a tablet. Speed and laziness, but obviously not the best choice! :)

Thanks again.

I don't mind them at all, this obsession with everything being "tack sharp" does get my goat to be honest.

As photos of your grandaughter they are fine.

The original is way better - the edit has made her skin greyish and blotchy. I think you've pulled the highlights down too far.

That's the wonderful thing about offering alternatives, Ideally the original wouldn't have areas containing nothing but white. I'm simply offering something at the other end of the spectrum and maybe the ideal sits somewhere in between. Or maybe just have it exposed without the burnout.

Had the file have been a workable size I could have spent a bit of time with a couple of layers and kept the original light levels as are where they don't burn out to nothing. As with any offering of advice here, the OP is totally free to grasp what's offered or disregard as they see fit.

What is great is that these things get talked about and then something can be gained in one form or other. The most important thing is to at least appreciate that someone has taken time out of their busy day to look and respond when that's what the OP was seeking when they post something for critique.

I dare say that images look slightly different viewed on each person's monitor/equipment in general. We all have our own tastes in respect of what the ideal exposure is and just to make it all a little more funky, we can all be creative and deliberately step outside the expected norm and create images which don't fit the ideals of many folk.

I'm not really seeing the whole greyness vibe personally, I do see a drop off in respect of the light intensity and greater definition of the variance in the natural skin tones in the edit albeit with less pop. So obviously we are seeing different things, which is truly a joy to behold.

A contrary opinion, debate, adjustment and subsequent agreement reached through an acceptable level of compromise between parties is pretty much why we've not blown ourselves off the face of the planet, or beaten each other to to a pulp with various weaponry at our disposal.

It's also how we share and learn. What more could a person wish for when trying to further themselves in a pursuit which they enjoy.

Happy days all round.

Regards

Tim

Back