Etruria

Tough and Gritty... love them.

Great B&W photograph,s as usual.(y)

You are nailing this b and w, gritty, industrial photography Simon. Another great set.

I love img246, the cobbles give great lines and texture but it is simple and strong.

Gritty is right, I've never seen so much grain in FP4.

I'm a fan of your pictures Simon, but you don't half hit em hard with USM....:)

Thanks everyone

you don't half hit em hard with USM....:)

I'll have a think about that. I don't think it's USM I overdo but the clarity slider.

I'll have a play with the next lot.

ETA - I like grain BTW.:)

Oh, and another thought. T-Max 400 gets me closer to what I'm after with these sort of shots without the need for PP.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

I'll have a think about that. I don't think it's USM I overdo but the clarity slider.

I'll have a play with the next lot.

ETA - I like grain BTW.:)

Oh, and another thought. T-Max 400 gets me closer to what I'm after with these sort of shots without the need for PP.

I think it's that 'overdone' bit that gives it that grit!

I think it's that 'overdone' bit that gives it that grit!

Yes, I think that's partially right at least.

I'm beginning to work out that it starts with film choice. FP4 is not the best film to start with for this type of shot.

Having said that, as long as I end up with the look I want, I'm not too bothered how I get there.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's partially right at least.

I'm beginning to work out that it starts with film choice. FP4 is not the best film to start with for this type of shot.

Having said that, as long as I end up with the look I want, I'm not too bothered how I get there.

Delta 3200 in Rodinal, its the KISS method, don't even have to factor in a push..:)

:D

I have actually been thinking about trying some Delta 3200 but used at 800.

My current preferred cameras only go up to 800 and have a fastest shutter speed of 1/500th.

ah....well, I shoot 3200 at 1000, might up that a bit on a proper bright day but generally iso1000

anyway, I've got 2 rolls of presumed iffy 120 3200, I won't ever shoot them because I presume them to be iffy, so they'll sit in stock till I keel over unless I donate them to a good cause...:D
Drop me an address if you want them and I'll sling them in the post.

Back