EU Idiocy

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
No
France has passed a law, to come into force in 2020, to ban all plastic cups, plates and cutlery - Sensible ? Not before time ?
Well, GUESS WHAT --
The European Union has declared that the law 'breaks the rules on free movement of goods'.
Thank God that we are soon to be free of EU idiocy.

I had read that critics were claiming it was against EU law, but I've seen nothing as yet to suggest the EU have actually declared that to be the case.

Do you have a link?

He can't link to something that doesn't exist.

Apparently the EU commission is 'under pressure' from the plastic plate making industry to block the ban though.

France has passed a law, to come into force in 2020, to ban all plastic cups, plates and cutlery - Sensible ? Not before time ?
Could make in-flight meals a bit messy.

Could make in-flight meals a bit messy.
and all the hot drinks machines will be vending drinks in china cups?
That'll put the price up!

But this would have a certain style, I think. Imagine you are getting a drink from some god damn awful monolith of a vending machine with about 16 different types of coffee, but when you select one it is delivered in a Royal Worcester cup and saucer; just pure class :)

Dave

but when you select one it is delivered in a Royal Worcester cup and saucer
With a couple of shortbread biccies on the side (y)

(can you imagine that in your average "Mess room" ? :D )

Load of piffle.

I had read that critics were claiming it was against EU law, but I've seen nothing as yet to suggest the EU have actually declared that to be the case.

Do you have a link?
He can't link to something that doesn't exist.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rgy-transition-for-green-growth-a7313076.html

Apparently the EU commission is 'under pressure' from the plastic plate making industry to block the ban though.
Load of piffle.

That'll put the price up!
Possibly not, both my previous company and my new one all have recycled paper/cardboard cups at our coffee stations and the canteen only serves in cardboard containers

in all seriousness we do need to dump all the plastic packaging in favour of more enviromentally friendy solutions.
i think even stafruks have cardboard infused paggy cups now

Possibly not, both my previous company and my new one all have recycled paper/cardboard cups at our coffee stations and the canteen only serves in cardboard containers

Indeed, I can't remember the last time I saw a drinks machine with plastic cups. Our water coolers have plastic cups beside them but most people use their own bottles.

Problem is that most cardboard cups can't be easily recycled as they are lined with a plastic lining.
There's only 1 recycling plant in the UK that can recycle them and most don't go there.
We're having this argument at work about replacing our cardboard cups - but the alternatives are undesirable due to energy costs of manufacture and cleaning.

Direct quote from that linked article.

Pack2Go Europe, a Brussels-based organization representing European packaging manufacturers, says it will keep fighting the new law and hopes it doesn't spread to the rest of the continent.

"We are urging the European Commission to do the right thing and to take legal action against France for infringing European law," Pack2go Europe secretary general Eamonn Bates told The Associated Press. "If they don't, we will."

So, again, where does it say that the EU has declared that it breaks rules on free movement?

Twas a joke, sorry you missed it (y)

Indeed, I can't remember the last time I saw a drinks machine with plastic cups.
Ironically, I come across loads, and these are all within the waste recycling industry.

Ironically, I come across loads, and these are all within the waste recycling industry.
Oh :LOL: Yes, I missed it. With all the mock outrage usually around, I should have known better than to think you would be serious haha

Never let the facts get in the way

...nor the truth spoil a good story :banana: (Is this straight enough ?)
Another EU regulation I would like questioned is -
(bearing in mind that every fishing community in Scotland voted overwhelmingly in favour of LEAVE, a minor detail I haven't heard Nicola Sturgeon mention yet), while the French and the Spanish are allowed to sail to Scotland and harvest 80% of the fish why are the Scottish not allowed to sail to France and Spain and harvest 80% of the grapes ?
Thank God we are soon to be free of EU idiocy.

Another EU regulation I would like questioned is -
(bearing in mind that every fishing community in Scotland voted overwhelmingly in favour of LEAVE, a minor detail I haven't heard Nicola Sturgeon mention yet), while the French and the Spanish are allowed to sail to Scotland and harvest 80% of the fish why are the Scottish not allowed to sail to France and Spain and harvest 80% of the grapes ?

Because boats can't sail in vineyards doh.....

More seriously I'm sure when you look into it you'll find there UK government (not the EU) gives a good amount of 'our' quota to foreign vessels. IIRC correctly 23% of the UK quota is given to one Dutch fishing vessel and never see the UK. Thats us not the EU.

I actually agree the CFP is one of the areas the EU really needs to change, but the UK government should be looking after those communities more. The fisherman I was listening to on the radio the other day atleast had the decency to sound embarrassed when he said how much money the EU were giving towards the Peterhead redevelopment.

So yet another thing thats far from straight forward....failled twice in one thread - how many EU threads do we need?

Last edited:
I should have known better than to think you would be serious haha
That's outrageous!
:D

how many EU threads do we need?
The other one is getting quite stale with the usual suspects playing "ping-Pong" with each other, at least this one,has more of a chuckle factor (y)

The other one is getting quite stale with the usual suspects playing "ping-Pong" with each other, at least this one,has more of a chuckle factor (y)

I rue the day we can no longer inject humour into proceedings ;);)

while the French and the Spanish are allowed to sail to Scotland and harvest 80% of the fish
Umm, because the UK government chooses to issue them the quotas. Not the EU's fault.

Thank God we are soon to be free of EU idiocy.
But not, alas, yours. [emoji23]

Why not go for the hat trick? You could claim the accounts aren't audited/signed off... or go for the old bendy bananas chestnut that Boris made up.

Speaking of Boris, did you see his jogging gear in the metro? He looked like a bag lady

or go for the old bendy bananas
Will everyone stop picking on the Bananas?
Has no one bought a Cucumber lately? If they were any straighter, you could use them for a snooker cue!

I'll just leave this here for you...

So, again, where does it say that the EU has declared that it breaks rules on free movement?

But Häger the Horrible could do whatever the f*** he wanted ;)

I think you'll find that he could do whatever the f*** Helga wanted! ;)

Will everyone stop picking on the Bananas?
Has no one bought a Cucumber lately? If they were any straighter, you could use them for a snooker cue!

George Stephenson invented cucumber straighteners in the mid 19th century - well before the Common Market was envisioned!

Last edited by a moderator:
I refer the gentleman to my earlier answer (of and to which another Hugh was more enlightened).

You haven't answered. Would it kill you to simply admit you were wrong?

That's outrageous!
:D

The worrying thing is that the soup bowls the supply in our kitchenette look like the sick bowls they give you in hospital :LOL:

They are the used ones they receive. A quick rinse out then re used, hence.................. recycled :D

They are the used ones they receive. A quick rinse out then re used, hence.................. recycled :D

For a minute there, I thought you were replying to the post I made and was thinking yuk :LOL:

The worrying thing is that the soup bowls the supply in our kitchenette look like the sick bowls they give you in hospital :LOL:

When I left hospital after the brane op, I had to keep the wound dry to reduce the chances of infection. All they could offer me was a sick bowl (papier maché, single use!) which they explained could be handy since travelling at up to 70mph after a fortnight of being pretty much bed-bound was likely to requiore the thing's intended purpose as well as protecting my bonce from the drizzle between the door and the car. Can't remember what I did with it, just that it was handy between the car and our front door as well!

Back