Europe tour advice

Having done a lot of motorcycle tours in Europe a couple of things I would add...

Most local fuel stations don't open on Sundays, so make sure you've topped up on Saturday, or use the services on a Motorway.
You need to rest... We quite often had the odd "day off" just wandering around town, or heading somewhere for a nice slow lunch (The cafe at the Col Du Forclaz has always been a favourite of mine).
Many places in France are closed in August, Towns are almost empty sometimes.
If you're in Chamonix, make time for a trip through the MB tunnel and drive the Grand St Bernard Pass, it really is a lovely drive - and you pass the cafe I mentioned above.

Looks like a great trip...

After the tunnel I turned right at some point the Aosta Valley to take the Petit Saint Bernard Pass. This took me back into France. When I left the Aosta Valley it was a beautiful balmy afternoon, at the top of the Col it was blowing a blizzard, when I got into Seez it was a beautiful balmy evening. A totally amazing and beautiful route that I hope to do again, but next time on two wheels.

Last edited:
Hi thankyou for your comments.
2 posts up I have accepted its too much and cut lots out Venice there is a couple of campsites nearby.
I believe a gondola is about £80-£100 for a 1/2 trip ?
Ah sorry, I missed your response while I was typing. I think you’re making the right decision to cut the trip back a bit. Hope it works out ok. ;)

Re the gondola rides... the figures you’re quoting are the official rate but you’ll find hardly any of the boat owners actually stick to it, especially in busy times or in the evening. You definitely need to agree the price before you set off or you can get your fingers badly burnt. I was out there in 2014 with my wife for my 60th birthday, we paid €150 for an hour, that seemed to be the going rate. They’ve got you over a barrel really, everyone wants to do a gondola trip while they’re in the city so they can charge what they like. It is a beautiful city though, fantastic photo opportunities too of course.

We drove to Salzburg in 2018 and Vienna in 2019.
Beware - some fuel stations and restaurants in Vienna do not take visa payments, some only take cash (restaurants).
Belgium 2019 was an absolute nightmare to drive through, with traffic jams and roadworks everywhere.
Speed limits in Austrian towns are often 30kph and they have grey speed cameras.
Paris and Vienna are ridiculous to drive through.
I would probably substitute Colmar for Metz, maybe one of the villages near Colmar - Turkheim, Kaisersburg etc.

Back