Captive European Goldeneyes

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Great clear pictures Roger - thank you for sharing. Then I found the bonus!!! As my mouse pointer came down this page, the pointer changed to a hand so I just had to click.
Lo and behold I found your flickr album and you have some wonderful bird shots in there as well. Given the subject matter above, when I saw that picture of the golden eye coming head on, I immediately thought "Oh oh that bird means business" as it looked like a gunboat coming in for the kill!!
I'll spend some time later in looking through the rest of your album as I have only looked at the first page. Given the quality you produce, I have no doubt I will be in for some more pleasant surprises.

Regards

David

Great clear pictures Roger - thank you for sharing. Then I found the bonus!!! As my mouse pointer came down this page, the pointer changed to a hand so I just had to click.
Lo and behold I found your flickr album and you have some wonderful bird shots in there as well. Given the subject matter above, when I saw that picture of the golden eye coming head on, I immediately thought "Oh oh that bird means business" as it looked like a gunboat coming in for the kill!!
I'll spend some time later in looking through the rest of your album as I have only looked at the first page. Given the quality you produce, I have no doubt I will be in for some more pleasant surprises.

Regards

David

Kind words David, thank you ... I am so glad you enjoyed them :)

Lovely shots,Roger…as ever. Amazing reflection in number 2.

What day were you there at Slimbridge ?

Last edited:
Lovely shots,Roger…as ever. Amazing reflection in number 2.

What day were you there at Slimbridge ?

Thanks John, that was Friday ... very misty start but brightened up quote nicely for a while mid-morning :)

Thanks John, that was Friday ... very misty start but brightened up quote nicely for a while mid-morning :)

Ok.. I was there Wednesday and signed up for 12 months. I live just down the road in Gloucester so maybe we'll bump into each other one day as I see you frequent the place. I was a volunteer there some years ago too..

The reason I asked was that when I went I had the loan of a Sigmonster..you know it..800mm. Ugh. I used my 1D1V. So many people wanted to look at it touch it, pat it,feel it...just like when I took our retrievers out..Lol A couple asked to hold it and declared it too heavy.One chap said his Canon 100-400 Mk11 which he thought was large looked like a toy alongside it. I spent most time in Zeiss hide but even with 800mm the lapwings that were on the edge of the water were really too far away. I reckon 300-400m. Well, you'll probably know how far. Just after I arrived and set up..that was hard work.I had 1/1200 sec. set f8 when from left to right flew three Cranes right above the lapwings too...Wow. I got them but the shutter speed just wasn't fast enough..almost but not quite. I upped it but no more showed. Idaren't post them on here Lol.

After a couple of hours I walked to the Kingfisher hide and then to the lake areas back near the main building and I was knackered..Lol. I stopped to talk to a chap who hires a motorbility scooter as he isn't good on his legs and parks up by the lakes with the Canon 100-400Mk11 and a 5D111 I think.Maybe you've seen him there there.https://www.flickr.com/people/43174601@N06/ He had lots postcard sized photos of birds/wildfowl with him which he gives to schools..free of charge which I think is admirable. Slimbridge take his photos too..He lives on the Somerset Levels.

We're off to Cornwall(near Lizard) through christmas and New Year (it's the cottage owner who loaned me the lens) and I'll get to the Marazion Marsh where the wildfowl and birds are much nearer. I took a photo of the flamingos at Slimbridge from the walkway by those lakes I mentioned just now but I was too close..too far ,then too close. Lol.

http://www.billmajoros.com/photoalbum/categories/new/Sigmonster/mac.html

@JohnC6 I know what you mean about the Sigmonster, I did have one for a while for my Nikons.
The range of 300-800 is quite useful but the weight and length does present some issues, I remember having it on a big tripod and gimbal and it sometimes felt like I was taking over the whole hide!
I now use a 500 f4 with 1.4 and 1.7 TC's on crop bodies so it gives me up to 1275mm which is very useful ... I never try to photograph birds in the far distance (except maybe the Cranes as they are larger) trying to concentrate on birds that come a bit closer.
I love Slimbridge and almost always find it to give me something interesting to photograph ... then of course there's always the coffee and chocolate croissant! :D

Back