Evening valley

That's a nice scene James.

I'd probably have allowed the foreground to go a bit darker - after all it is in shadow, and not dropped the highlights quite so far in the sky but instead reduced overall exposure.

Hope that's useful.

Very thank you, greatly appreciate your input. I seemed to really struggle to process this one in a way that didn't leave it more than a little flat :)

Somewhere between 2 and 3 I think, I'd be tempted to try a grad filter at an angle across the bottom left to darken that area, the grass is looking noisy on #3.

Thanks for the input, the grass does look noisey actually doesn't it? I didn't notice that until I uploaded so I wonder whether thats a Flickr effect (I'll have to look at the original and see if its the same when I'm back at my laptop). As for the grad, now you've mentioned it I can see there being a fourth attempt now. Thanks again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts :)

If you have a version of the image straight & unprocessed I'd be happy to have a go at processing later this evening (about to go out).

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that if I can't get my head around it (I'm starting to think changing camera systems and ditching lightroom in favour of Capture one simultaneously may have been asking for processing woes in hindsight). For now I'm going to keep trying to suss it so may I present no 4 :)

Last edited:
"Nemesis 1" :D great title, I think you are getting there although may be towards the limit of what you are going to get from that file. Good on ya' for sticking with it, it's the way to learn. (y)(y)(y)

Thanks. I think the grad you suggested has really helped along with bumping up the NR a bit and slightly taming the saturation but as you say I dont think its got a lot more to give. I need to work on the in camera settings I think, I've just chopped in a Canon EOS80D and Olympus em1mkII for the Fuji Xt3 in order to release a bit of capital and focus my gear a bit more but it's been more of a leap than I expected especially as I jumped ship from the adobe subscription to the Fuji-centric capture one version at the same time. Onwards and upwards as they say, hopefully with a bit of help from the chaps and chapesses here I'll eventually get back to where I started from :)

I think a misty morning would be more helpful, it's always going to be hard to blend the sky when it's bright behind trees. If you had low mist it would hopefully hide the road. The editing needs to be gentler in my view, they've been getting more heavy handed with each version. I feel I know where this is but the name is escaping me

You're probably right about the misty morning, I may very well have another go at this in better conditions when time allows (annoyingly half an hour later as I drove home it got quite foggy so I probably didn't miss it by many minutes). As far as location its a very minor road between Little Ponton and Woodnook in Lincolnshire.

Back