Evo IV Vs Astra VXR...

ejm

Edit My Images
Yes
Had the pleasure of shooting these two on the weekend :)
Let me know what you think... Ive put 6 up, the rest are on my flickr if you fancy a nose...

Evo IV & Astra VXR Shoot by ejmcarphotography, on Flickr

Nice cars but the photos do not do anything for me. The compositions are not great and some of the angles are too much. Number 4 there isn't enough of the puddle / reflection to make the photo work, and with the amount of car that's been cropped out it makes the photo have no point of interest for me

I know you didn't ask for critique but that's my 2p, sorry if it sounds like ive been harsh.

No, I didn't ask for critique, but its always helpful, helps us learn and get better. Although I wouldn't say your comments were really critique as such, they're mostly just your opinion on my style of photography (I love extreme angles lol). Not much to work on with your post, other thank how to take photos to please mike haha ;)
The reflection comment is valid, it was the biggest puddle there so best I could do, but I do enjoy experimenting with different ideas and angles, it would be very boring if we all took photographs the same way and in the same style.
And I know the crops are tight, but not much I can do atm, my 17-55 lens is poor so my 50mm prime on a dx is my tool of choice (so sharp!) until I have enough money to buy a good UWA lens...And maybe a fx camera too ;)
The owners were over the moon with the images, that's the main thing :)

The set to me is good, i don't mind all the extreme angles. I ain't sure on no5 the sign to the left and the three trees growing out the roof spoil it for me.

I had a look on FlickR and I think some in the album there are better than what you have posted here.

#1. Wheels turned on one car not on the other. What's the location to do with it, why did you place the cars there, especially with the dappled sunlight. Needs a polariser. These are performance cars, but the image doesn't suggest that, nor comparison? Should have the headlights on.

#2 there's hints in the background of rocks, bushes and a road going off? Perfect for the evo, rough tough rally hint, but the cars are at a crazy angle just plonked on Tarmac. The Astra is almost an after thought at the t corner.

#3 my fav on the images, but you've got a white car against a white blown sky. Use the location, you had a big dark bush or rock backdrop you could have used.

#4 not a fan of the angle, but with the evos pedigree, what's the image suggesting, that that model can only cope with a little puddle, that it's soft?

#5 could do with a polariser but the colour stands out against the background. What's the sign say, some thing about blue route and authorised only? Could work well as a humourous hint if so.

#6 there's a path heading up into the trees, forest. The car should be facing it, suggesting it's about to take it on. Again lots of reflection which would have been killed with a polariser and I don't like the angle as it gives you all that dead space of foreground, which is boring.

Cars have meanings, backgrounds, histories. Use a location to suggest it, reference it. If comparing two, then the location should suggest something of how the comparison will be made, a twisty track or road perhaps. If all you've got is a car park, then head to head like boxers, or side by side one slightly ahead, like they are lined up for a race, even side by side at an angle, not the camera at an angle.

And you did ask to let you know what we think ;)

Have a look at Tim Wallace and some of his images, the way he places the car, the locations used.

Back