Ewe with her lamb on Dartmoor

Beautiful capture. I love the colours of the grass and the hills in the distance - and of course the curious ewe and her lamb !!

Thanks for that one, Jean. I'm missing the place so much. Not been down since March and can't see me getting down again this side of very late this year. I'm expecting the M5/A303/A30 to be a car park in a couple of week's time. Though I'm missing it I'll just bide my time. It won't be going anywhere. For some reason the image put me in mind of when I rescued a lamb from a river, except that lamb was much younger and was under mum with its tail wagging by the time I'd extracted myself from the river. Just the way the ewe stood her ground to thank me rather than move away as they normally do.

Thanks for that one, Jean. I'm missing the place so much. Not been down since March and can't see me getting down again this side of very late this year. I'm expecting the M5/A303/A30 to be a car park in a couple of week's time. Though I'm missing it I'll just bide my time. It won't be going anywhere. For some reason the image put me in mind of when I rescued a lamb from a river, except that lamb was much younger and was under mum with its tail wagging by the time I'd extracted myself from the river. Just the way the ewe stood her ground to thank me rather than move away as they normally do.

Thank you so much for your comment, Janny (and your little story). I do hope you can get down to Devon before the end of the year. I am lucky that I live on the very border of Dartmoor. I used to live in the SE but moved here about 16 years ago and love it! Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live? :)

Out of curiosity, whereabouts do you live?

I'm just a few miles the wrong side of the border........... Devon border, that is - SE of Taunton a few miles off the A303. The trip to Dartmoor takes between an hour 15 and 2 hours+ depending on what part I'm going to. I drive an old lwb Defender which isn't exactly fast. I lived at Haytor for a bit many years ago. Glad I don't now - too many grockles.

That's a lovely image Jean. Beautifully composed and not too big in the frame to dominate, yet allowing plenty of room to view the surroundings. The face of the youngster is very dark (I'm aware they are, yet it seems more so on my iPad; is there maybe scope to just lift it a little with an adjustment layer and low opacity, to bring out just a touch of definition?

@Jannyfox you need to buy a quicker vehicle Jan- long time no see, I trust you are well? Plenty of wildlife around Ham Wall, despite the hides being closed :)

Love to see lamb & Ewe images- Jean, perhaps a lift of the shadows in PP would enhance this shot by exposing correctly both the Ewe & Lambs faces?

Like this 3 min edit - Hope you don't mind?

mXo8mMd.jpg

Les :)

you need to buy a quicker vehicle Jan

No.....no, no, no, no........... me and Big Red Arthur are an item :LOL:

I trust you are well? Plenty of wildlife around Ham Wall, despite the hides being closed

I'm good. Taking lots of photos while doing a project on the wild plants around my area (over 100 identified so far and still counting. I've found things I'd never heard of before....). I'm staying away from reserves and the like because having to think about what other people are doing destroys the pleasure. I never was a people person and I think I've got worse.............;)

No.....no, no, no, no........... me and Big Red Arthur are an item :LOL:

I'm good. Taking lots of photos while doing a project on the wild plants around my area (over 100 identified so far and still counting. I've found things I'd never heard of before....). I'm staying away from reserves and the like because having to think about what other people are doing destroys the pleasure. I never was a people person and I think I've got worse.............;)

Big Red Arthur ( Classic) :LOL: I do remeber seeing you at Ham wall in a big red Landrover

Ham wall is far from busy and Greylake is like a Ghost town early mornings :)

I usually am gone by 8.30 -9.00

Nice to see you have a project - I am doing a similar thing with insects etc ( new Macro lens prompted this)

Good luck in your plant hunt

Love to see lamb & Ewe images- Jean, perhaps a lift of the shadows in PP would enhance this shot by exposing correctly both the Ewe & Lambs faces?

Like this 3 min edit - Hope you don't mind?

mXo8mMd.jpg

Sorry for the late response, Les, been very busy lately and only just returned to the site. ...And I don't mind your edit at all; it has brought detail out in the lamb's face - which has worked well, but what I don't like is that it's turned the hair on top of his head to a 'muddy reddish-grey' when it is, in fact, a dense black. Nevertheless, I appreciate your time in doing this :)

That's a lovely image Jean. Beautifully composed and not too big in the frame to dominate, yet allowing plenty of room to view the surroundings. The face of the youngster is very dark (I'm aware they are, yet it seems more so on my iPad; is there maybe scope to just lift it a little with an adjustment layer and low opacity, to bring out just a touch of definition?
Thank you for your kind comment, Paul. .....Sorry not to acknowledge it before, but been very busy of late. I take your point about lifting the darkness of the lamb's face, and you will see in this thread that Les has done exactly that.

I'm just a few miles the wrong side of the border........... Devon border, that is - SE of Taunton a few miles off the A303. The trip to Dartmoor takes between an hour 15 and 2 hours+ depending on what part I'm going to. I drive an old lwb Defender which isn't exactly fast. I lived at Haytor for a bit many years ago. Glad I don't now - too many grockles.

Sorry not to have responded earlier, Janny, but had a lot going on.

A Defender is the perfect vehicle for Dartmoor. I've never owned one, but I love them.

As for 'grockles' - ouch! It's a term I find derogatory and don't much like, as I would have been referred to as such in the past - and probably would be today as an incomer. ....Although I did live on a farm on Dartmoor with my mum when I was a small child - and it's always felt like home to me. Sometimes I think I respect Dartmoor more than many of the locals do, and no-one loves it more than me. :giggle:

Back