'Exercise with British 'Ensign Selfix 12/20 and Old Kodak Vericolor III

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
YO !! Out on my 'One Allowed Exercise' with Old Cameras and Old Film -- I chose my 1950's era British 'Ensign Selfix 12/20 with 75mm Ross Xpres and outdated Kodak Vericolor III i wnted to use use up I rated film at 25 ASA and processed in C41 . Scanned with CANON 9000F mk II + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer to colour correct and add contrast and Un-Sharp Mask.
I got only 1/50th @ f5.6 or f4.5 as the light was poor and only 25 ASA rating ! I had to Guess the focus distance -- I found INFINITY' was NOT SHARP -- so i tested with Ground Glass and found i had to set 40 feet or just under to get 'Infinity' sharp so I took 2 frames of a couple of shots.
Ed the Postman is always good for a Test Portrait and I give him prints -- here In set 7 feet -- not quite sharp -- 1/50th @ f4.5 may have a little Camera Shake
12 20 VPS 08 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Brentwood High Street ! This is the Roman Road from London to the Roman Garrison at Colchester -- now there is a 'By-Pass' but when i moved in 1965 it was the MAIN ROAD through!
12 20 VPS 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Big Red Bus Route 498 from Queens Hospital ROMFORD back to Brentwood -- 1/50th @ f4.5, focus just before 40 feet and some Boring Foreground ---

12 20 VPS 07 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Charity Shop in Ongar Road -- I bet the 'Donations ' will be STOLEN before teh shop opens in months time again ! 1/50th @ f5.6 focus on 30 feet
12 20 VPS 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Another shot of the Beckett Chapel Ruins 10th Century in Brentwood High Street -- always a good 'Test Subject' sorry to show it again -- 1/50th @ f5.6 focus on about 30 feet

12 20 VPS 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
THIS is the Camera I used for these snaps ---
Selfix 12 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

not quite sharp -- 1/50th @ f4.5 may have a little Camera Shake
Looks grand to me. Also gives me a degree of comfort in these dark times. One wonders if Britain will indeed be "great" after all this.

before teh shop opens in months time again
I like this shot too. Taken 'in context' of the times, I wonder why the toys are being donated when surely anything remotely entertaining should be retained! (my girls are both way too old for that sort of thing). But then, will it be 'taken' by someone who's desperate for something to entertain kids who are climbing the walls?

Thumbs up from me Peter.

YO !! Out on my 'One Allowed Exercise' with Old Cameras and Old Film -- I chose my 1950'...

Charity Shop in Ongar Road -- I bet the 'Donations ' will be STOLEN before teh shop opens in months time again ! 1/50th @ f5.6 focus on 30 feet

I like the shop photo, it looks sad and forlorn, in a nice way. If the telephone numbers were not above the shops, you would think the photo is much older than it is.

Last edited:
Really like the the postman pic , you almost seem to include his personality ( although my perception of his personality could course be completely wrong !) Lovely shots from a lovely old camera.

Today I did a Print for Ed the Postman and delivered it to Brentwood Post Sorting Office as I missed him when he came to my Road.

Back