Exmoor wild & free

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Managed a an hour or two on Exmoor- just up from Minehead above Porlock Hill

Not too much about, but I was rewarded with seeing a quick glimpse a nice Red stag doing his thing and a mile or two up the track and an or so hour later- sun disappeared and I spotted a few Red Hinds enjoying a mud wallow- needless to say, they scarpered when I appeared over the horizon- manage to gab a shot though- this is hard work :exit:

Red Hinds= Exmoor
Hinds in the Mud- Exmoor by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Les :)

It's meant to be hard they are wild and free :D . Like this Les, something I've never seen, deer having a wallow. Do all deer wallow Les??
cheers
stu

It's meant to be hard they are wild and free :D . Like this Les, something I've never seen, deer having a wallow. Do all deer wallow Les??
cheers
stu

Thank you Stu, being a game keeper for many years I can confirm Red Deer do wallow, as per my photograph :)

Never see a Roe or Muntjack wallow to be fair

Les :)

I know you were a keeper Les I'm not the sharpest tool in the box bro, but I listen;) and I had also worked out you must have just retired or left the job for another reason. You'ld not have the time to post so much if still grafting Les no keeper would this time of year:LOL: Your previous job is also why I asked mate i'm led to believe keepers know a bit:D, you may well have stalking experience. But yes your old job that's why you got the question your particular knowledge . Keepers get a bad rap Les it's unfair, a few bad eggs an all that. but it's wrong i'm close to one at my hare spot . He's a wonderful man and knows more about what's going on on his patch them I could ever hope. Also feeds wild birds by the blummin tonne. It's sort of ironic that a good keeper has pretty much more of everything bird an beastie wise on his patch than any of the other farms that surround him. Most folks don't see this Les I do ,it's probably the best bit of advice I'd give a tog wanting to make images of wild things...get to know your local keeper:) More to make images of on his patch ;)

My nearest wild reds would be yours on Exmoor, so not much experience of reds,but I have fallow munty and roe all properly wild, close to home......but never seen a wallow or a deer in one around here. I'd honestly like to think I'd have come across a wallow by now in the areas I nab pics of roe and munty . Mate what about fallow I don't see them so often now,I'm very curious if they wallow and you didn't mention them,maybe you don't see them in your neck of the woods

Many thanks always learning mate !!

I know you were a keeper Les I'm not the sharpest tool in the box bro, but I listen;) and I had also worked out you must have just retired or left the job for another reason. You'ld not have the time to post so much if still grafting Les no keeper would this time of year:LOL: Your previous job is also why I asked mate i'm led to believe keepers know a bit:D, you may well have stalking experience. But yes your old job that's why you got the question your particular knowledge . Keepers get a bad rap Les it's unfair, a few bad eggs an all that. but it's wrong i'm close to one at my hare spot . He's a wonderful man and knows more about what's going on on his patch them I could ever hope. Also feeds wild birds by the blummin tonne. It's sort of ironic that a good keeper has pretty much more of everything bird an beastie wise on his patch than any of the other farms that surround him. Most folks don't see this Les I do ,it's probably the best bit of advice I'd give a tog wanting to make images of wild things...get to know your local keeper:) More to make images of on his patch ;)

My nearest wild reds would be yours on Exmoor, so not much experience of reds,but I have fallow munty and roe all properly wild, close to home......but never seen a wallow or a deer in one around here. I'd honestly like to think I'd have come across a wallow by now in the areas I nab pics of roe and munty . Mate what about fallow I don't see them so often now,I'm very curious if they wallow and you didn't mention them,maybe you don't see them in your neck of the woods

Many thanks always learning mate !!

I retired last October after 20 years- prior to that British army sniper in 2 Para :) from age 18, loved that job

Still having access to a lot of private land around the Somerset Levels because of my previous employment and of course all the public area's around too

Plenty of Red Deer around here and Roe No Fallows though- when I took the photograph above- the Red Hinds were all laying in the mud and started to rise as I approached

I have seen this behaviour prior to this from the comfort of my land-rover but, a little too far away to grab a decent shot :)

Les

Back