Export settings for general use/upload

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

Im wondering if anyone could guide me with best export setting for Lr, so I can export my images as jpgs which ar suitable for general use.. as in general viewing locally, upload to cloud for viewing remotely and odd one my be uploaded to social media.

If possible I’m looking for a good compromise export that would work with all scenarios.

Cheers, Joe :)

If possible I’m looking for a good compromise export that would work with all scenarios.

For social media and remote viewing you want to keep the size and quality down. Try 1024px on the long side, export at compression around 70 (perhaps a little higher is there is lots of sky to prevent banding) and sharpening for screen either low or standard. Make sure you at least watermark with your email address too, so that when your image is stolen/borrowed the excuse can't be used of finding it orphaned on t'internet.

For social media and remote viewing you want to keep the size and quality down. Try 1024px on the long side, export at compression around 70 (perhaps a little higher is there is lots of sky to prevent banding) and sharpening for screen either low or standard. Make sure you at least watermark with your email address too, so that when your image is stolen/borrowed the excuse can't be used of finding it orphaned on t'internet.

Thank you for this Toni, very much appreciated :)

It’s the final piece to my planned workflow with my new set up (iMac) now I feel a bit more confident with the photography & post processing aha (which if you have seen some of my other advice posts over the last few days I think has caused quite some controversy as it involves that I’m not keeping raws) but you know I appreciate everyone has there own idea, workflow and reasons, but I have decided to stick with what I feel suites me in my situation now!

Also thankyou for the top about watermark, this is something I hadn’t thought about yet!

Thank you for this Toni, very much appreciated :)

It’s the final piece to my planned workflow with my new set up (iMac) now I feel a bit more confident with the photography & post processing aha (which if you have seen some of my other advice posts over the last few days I think has caused quite some controversy as it involves that I’m not keeping raws) but you know I appreciate everyone has there own idea, workflow and reasons, but I have decided to stick with what I feel suites me in my situation now!

Also thankyou for the top about watermark, this is something I hadn’t thought about yet!

Make sure you don't use this as your 'main' image though - only for showing to others.

I hadn't seen you weren't keeping RAWs, but if I could advise you on that I would suggest saving both jpg and raw formats & saving the raws on their own. Even if you don't bother for now, they might be a relative source of treasure for you in years to come. They don't eat, and the only 'rent' they require is a few hundred GB of space on a hard drive.

Make sure you don't use this as your 'main' image though - only for showing to others.

I hadn't seen you weren't keeping RAWs, but if I could advise you on that I would suggest saving both jpg and raw formats & saving the raws on their own. Even if you don't bother for now, they might be a relative source of treasure for you in years to come. They don't eat, and the only 'rent' they require is a few hundred GB of space on a hard drive.

Apologies Toni, what do you mean by main image?

Yeah unfortunately I didn’t realise this would cause so much controversy as I say aha but. I’ll be honest it is something I’m still not 100% admit im not going to and I think, I need to have a proper think, but I appreciate your comment and also the way you have advices me, because that the other thing and I’ll be honest, when I posted the original question so many people jumped to say I’m doing wrong and it made me question so much that the last week or so I haven’t done much actul photography because I been thinking about what is right and wrong..

If I did decide to keep them would you agree with this idea, where by I keep the raw for say my personal fave work like my macro & close up studio work (which is what I have got into) where I suppose I may want to go back especially the creative stuff, but then maybe for my holiday snaps, that might be a time where just the jpgs are suitable.

If I did decide to keep them would you agree with this idea, where by I keep the raw for say my personal fave work like my macro & close up studio work (which is what I have got into) where I suppose I may want to go back especially the creative stuff, but then maybe for my holiday snaps, that might be a time where just the jpgs are suitable.

That would be sensible, though I sometimes find my holiday snaps to be my best pictures. ;)

Apologies Toni, what do you mean by main image?

The 'finished' image that you want to show or make prints from.

when I posted the original question so many people jumped to say I’m doing wrong and it made me question so much that the last week or so I haven’t done much actul photography because I been thinking about what is right and wrong.

People often express things here as though they're 'life & death' or try to tear someone a new one if they disagree. It seems to be a characteristic of photographers, to be utterly black & white. :rolleyes: ;) Remember that once something is deleted then it's gone forever, but if you save it now but don't use it then you could delete it in a couple of years IF you don't want it, having lost nothing.

When I started out with a DSLR I didn't really know about raw files, and so shot everything on jpg as I'd moved from a compact & that was what I was used to. I took a bunch of pictures like the one below, and because I'd used jpg it was impossible to recover the highlights - knowing what I know now, I might have reprocessed them & had much better pictures as a result.

Valley mist-00195.jpg

Hope you can start to enjoy your photography again, with out worry, shame or guilt. :)

That would be sensible, though I sometimes find my holiday snaps to be my best pictures. ;)

Aha very true actuall, but thank you I think this is the way I will go and set thing up for :)

The 'finished' image that you want to show or make prints from.

right I see that makes sense, thank you

People often express things here as though they're 'life & death' or try to tear someone a new one if they disagree. It seems to be a characteristic of photographers, to be utterly black & white. :rolleyes: ;) Remember that once something is deleted then it's gone forever, but if you save it now but don't use it then you could delete it in a couple of years IF you don't want it, having lost nothing.

When I started out with a DSLR I didn't really know about raw files, and so shot everything on jpg as I'd moved from a compact & that was what I was used to. I took a bunch of pictures like the one below, and because I'd used jpg it was impossible to recover the highlights - knowing what I know now, I might have reprocessed them & had much better pictures as a result.

Everything you have said here is right actually, and no I thank you again for your help and advice, because it has made me realise the importance of keeping them.

View attachment 290423

Hope you can start to enjoy your photography again, with out worry, shame or guilt. :)

And no I will! This weekend I’m going to finally get everything set up and then next week get back to the actual photography again & then next time I post on here will be for a photograph / post processing question lol & not set up related!

thanks again, very much appreciated :)

(sorry didn’t know how to properly reply to indiv bits aha so my replies are in bold)

Last edited:
Back