Exported images too large from Lightroom

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
The export function of Lightroom is doing odd things. I want to export an image for printing: 24" X 16" at 300dpi should be 7200 X 4800 pixels, should it not? But the actual file size is 18288 X 12088. Usually I put in the image size in inches & the pixel pitch in order to get images resized for printing, however that doesn't seem to be working right now - any ideas why?

The export function of Lightroom is doing odd things. I want to export an image for printing: 24" X 16" at 300dpi should be 7200 X 4800 pixels, should it not? But the actual file size is 18288 X 12088. Usually I put in the image size in inches & the pixel pitch in order to get images resized for printing, however that doesn't seem to be working right now - any ideas why?
check your setting I have got it wrong before and doing it a second time I got it right.

Make sure when specifying dimensions and dpi that nothing is being altered (i.e. size) when you change something else (e.g. the resolution). Can never remember which is which, but sometimes if you change one, it changes the other if you do things in a certain order. Shouldn't do, but it is just one of those quirks.

I did go back and check - settings were all as they should be as far as I could see. In the end I just re-exported the image at the resolution I needed (28Mb instead of 285Mb). Weird though.

IMHO it's no coincidence that 12088/4800 is about the same as the number of cm in one inch... :)

It's too late to re-check now, since I set the image size in pixels, however I DID check that it was displaying inches and not centimeters, because that's an obvious error that would cause this kind of thing to happen.

If you are certain, then that implies lightroom has a bug. Which is not impossible of course, but I have to say since you did the same thing again and it worked ok, I have to say the balance of the evidence points toward a conclusion of user error. :)

If you are certain, then that implies lightroom has a bug. Which is not impossible of course, but I have to say since you did the same thing again and it worked ok, I have to say the balance of the evidence points toward a conclusion of user error. :)

I did the same thing again and got the wrong result a second time - it only worked when I gave it the correct dimensions in pixels, rather than in inches at a 300dpi pitch. It was after that I posted the thread, and it was because I had changed settings from inches to pixels that I could no longer go back & re-check my settings.

I did the same thing again and got the wrong result a second time - it only worked when I gave it the correct dimensions in pixels, rather than in inches at a 300dpi pitch.
FWIW (not a lot!) - out of idle curiosity I just tried exporting (LR CC) using your settings (24" x 16" at 300dpi) to both jpeg and tiff from raw and tiff originals, and they all worked as expected (rendered images of 7200 x 4800px).

I did the same thing again and got the wrong result a second time - it only worked when I gave it the correct dimensions in pixels, rather than in inches at a 300dpi pitch. It was after that I posted the thread, and it was because I had changed settings from inches to pixels that I could no longer go back & re-check my settings.
Ok, then it seems you may have uncovered a quirk.. :)

I've exported quite a few images over the last couple of years and never seen this before. Hopefully it's a one-off anomaly.

Back