Exporting watermarked images - which quality to export in?

Name
Andrew Sutcliffe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am starting to shoot sports events and putting the watermarked images on my online shop on my website. I am using lightroom to watermark the pictures, but what quality should I export them in? They need to be small in storage terms and not excellent quality so people can't screen grab them. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew.

People can always screengrab, and very likely will do regardless of how big the watermark is too - then you'll see them all over Facebook; its something you either live with or just don't post anything online

My 'WEB USE" export from LR is to set the longest side to 1200px and the file size to a max of 300kb, the quality is always 90% but I doubt that has much impact really given the other 2 parameters

Just do a few tests and see what you're happy with

Dave

People can always screengrab, and very likely will do regardless of how big the watermark is too
Isn't that what 'content aware' fill was designed for ;).
My 'WEB USE" export from LR is to set the longest side to 1200px and the file size to a max of 300kb, the quality is always 90% but I doubt that has much impact really given the other 2 parameters
This ^^^^
All that matters for image display on the web are the pixel dimensions....

Hi, I am starting to shoot sports events and putting the watermarked images on my online shop on my website. I am using lightroom to watermark the pictures, but what quality should I export them in? They need to be small in storage terms and not excellent quality so people can't screen grab them. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Andrew.

if you want a good idea of how to watermark you're sports pictures, then have a look at the website of one of our members here @KIPAX - big solid watermark that covers pretty much every inch of the photo and while it won't stop people just downloading 'em or screengrabbing (nothing will!) and using em on faecesbook it WILL probably stop the newspapers from nicking them.

if you want a good idea of how to watermark you're sports pictures, then have a look at the website of one of our members here @KIPAX - big solid watermark that covers pretty much every inch of the photo and while it won't stop people just downloading 'em or screengrabbing (nothing will!) and using em on faecesbook it WILL probably stop the newspapers from nicking them.
Watermarking is no problem for me, it is the quality in which to export the images and what pixel dimensions. Thanks for the reply anyway!

Watermarking is no problem for me, it is the quality in which to export the images and what pixel dimensions. Thanks for the reply anyway!

the thing is, it's the whole combination that you need to make the damned picture unusable without paying for a proper one. as I say, look at his website and use that as a reference - he works pretty much exclusively shooting sport, and (most importantly) makes a living from doing it, so what he does WORKS!

Watermarking is no problem for me, it is the quality in which to export the images and what pixel dimensions.

I use Zenfolio, upload original size file, offer different download or print size options, apply a watermark for the web gallery. Job done. Much easier than messing around with PS or other stuff, which I once did.

It is not possible to answer that question unless you say what size you want the photos to appear.

If you just want to show the photo and make sure no one can do a print of anything over a couple of inches use 600 x400 (3:2 Ratio).

Go for 90% jpg ...If you lower the quality so it's so bad people wont grab them....Then you have the problem of people thinking you take poor pics... they might not see the disclaimer saying these are quality reduced..

"
Talk Photography awarded me a trophy Seriously Likeable! So nagh nagh"

Seriously Likeable?

Really? - WOW - Kudos.

Why have I never got one?:LOL:

You did! On 100 likes..

Seriously Likeable!
Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.

I have been awarded loads of trophies off talkphotogrphy.. here :)

1. 30
    Awarded: Jul 29, 2014
    Proclaim your skills!
    Sing with me..."And I have got five hundred likes, and ah I would like five hundred more...."

2. 10
    Awarded: Jul 19, 2014
    Macho, Macho Man!
    You beat your chest and roar....You a man!

3. 20
    Awarded: Mar 31, 2014
    Can't Get Enough of Your Stuff
    Your content has been liked 250 times.

4. 15
    Awarded: Jan 26, 2014
    Seriously Likeable!
    Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.

5. 10
    Awarded: Dec 5, 2013
    I Like It a Lot
    Your messages have been liked 25 times.

6. 10
    Awarded: Nov 17, 2013
    Keen to learn
    You allow others to help with your images. That's how we learn!

7. 2
    Awarded: Nov 10, 2013
    Somebody Likes You
    Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!

8. 100
    Awarded: Oct 30, 2013
    Five Years!
    That's five years now since you joined the most awesome Photography forum. And what makes it awesome? You. That's right.

9. 10
    Two Years
    That's right, two years on Talk Photography. We love having you around too :)

10. 10
    Happy birthday!
    Your time on Talk Photography is one year old today, happy cake day!

11. 50
    Chatterbox
    You've hit 5000 posts. May there be 5000 more, thank you!

12. 20
    Great contributions
    2500 posts. Now you're just being awesome!

13. 15
    Got plenty to say
    500 posts, that's ace! Keep going!

14. 10
    Likes a chinwag
    You've made 250 posts on the forums, thank you!

15. 20
    One of the family
    1,000 posts? Impressive! *Raises glass* Here's to the next 1,000

16. 10
    Can't Stop!
    You've posted 100 messages. I hope this took you more than a day!

17. 5
    Keeps Coming Back
    30 messages posted. You must like it here!

18. 1
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.

@petersmart go onto your own PROFILE and click on the number next to LIKES .. doesnt seem to happen anywhere else..has to be in your profile.. and see all your awards :)

Back