F&C Do the Dales - CANCELLED

Preferred Dates and Accommodation (have a read through the thread first, a lot has been discussed)

• 29 March to 1 April (Sunrise 5:46am)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 26 to 29 April

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 10 to 13 May (Sunrise 5am)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bunk House

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Hostel with individual rooms for couples

• Large Holiday Home, double/twin rooms

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 2 Nights

• 3 Nights

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 4 Nights

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Since @ChrisR asked and no one else has expressed further interest I am knocking this on the head

CANCELLED

Last edited:
Haven't spoken to Mr Snap because we're both at work but I strongly suspect we'd be up for this :D

We had a long weekend in this house a few years ago for Andy's 50th birthday. I think there was about 20 of us. Could be suitable depending on numbers interested.....

http://www.dale-house.co.uk/

a) Yes
b) Weekend, we're pretty flexible on dates at the moment
c) Don't really mind. We do usually try and find somewhere self-contained for F&C meets if possible, but not got an issue with being scattered around a village
d) The Dales is lovely. As long as there is suitable accommodation anywhere will be great!

Last edited:
Would love to come in principle, but the Dales is a little far for just a weekend :(
Would say Friday to Monday be of interest? This is perhaps where being centred around a village pub with a variety of accommodation options close by may work better so that people can be a bit flexible around how long they stay. I do think being close together and having some sort of evening meeting place is important though.

For most holiday rental cottages, Friday to Monday is a weekend booking. It's quite rare (but not unknown) to find one that will allow 2 night bookings at a weekend. My original response kind of assumed that you were referring to a Fri-Mon weekend.

Last edited:
I'd love to come but weekends are normally a no go during the racing season - if it falls on a weekend when we are not racing then I would be a yes :)

a) Yes!
b) I teach Monday & Tuesday evenings term time, so a weekend would be good. Could do Friday through to Monday but would need to leave Monday lunchtime.
c) Not a tent!!
d) Not bothered by location.

Spring tends to be a busy time for me at work, so I doubt I could get a full or long weekend off at that time of year, but depending how far away the venue is I might be able to join the group for a day visit. :)

Sounds a great idea...

a) yes
b) Friday to Monday is fine
c) the Lake District weekend was a bit of a bunk-house, which was OK, but I've preferred the slightly higher level accommodation in Cornwall and Onich
d) happy for those who know to suggest locations!

I'd love to go as I've never even set foot in the area of the UK between the Peak District and Glasgow, except when I went to Knutsford for a few days of GD&T training with work. I think it might be a bit far for us to drive for a weekend though, but I'll give it some thought and have a chat with Ang.

So this might actually be quite feasible for us too. We're keen to get back to the lakes anyway, so we could always tag that onto the start or end of this proposed trip (depending on when though...), hence negating the distance/time there barrier :)

So;

a) Yep :)
b) Early 2019 would be best for us, but please don't be in any way guided by this.
c) These trips are great when we're all in one place as it's much more sociable. As for standard, personally I didn't mind the lakes accommodation, so what ever really.
d) We don't know the area, so happy to go where ever really :)

Last edited:
We’d be up for it, like Woodsy suggests we might try and tack it on to a longer holiday.

Happy with that time of year and have never really spent any time in Yorkshire apart from a music festival near Skipton about 10 years ago.

As far as accommodation goes would prefer something with the comfort levels of Scotland or Cornwall rather than the Lakes but happy to go with the flow.

I'd love to go as I've never even set foot in the area of the UK between the Peak District and Glasgow, except when I went to Knutsford for a few days of GD&T training with work. I think it might be a bit far for us to drive for a weekend though, but I'll give it some thought and have a chat with Ang.
There are a few options for the train if that's of any interest, I can pick you up from Lancaster or Mr&Mrs Snap might be passing close to a station somewhere between Crewe and Preston ;), or train to Leeds and then the Settle-Carlisle. Or if you are really into trains, get the train to Carlisle and then get the Settle-Carlise back south, you would certainly see a big chunk of the the area between the Peak District and Glasgow that way :)

We're keen to get back to the lakes anyway
Great, it's really not far between the two National Parks so you might as well make the most of it.

I wasn't on the Lakes trip so what was that accomodation like, just so I have an idea of what people can tolerate :)

We could probably pick up from Crewe or possibly a number of other stations between there and Leeds. Also Manchester or Leeds / Bradford airports.

Obviously depending upon location, timings, space in car etc

Last edited:
I could also pick up from Runcorn (which is a fast trip from New Street or London Euston)

We stayed in a hostel / bunkhouse in the Lakes. Shared dorms with just enough smaller rooms to accommodate couples. Really odd setup of showers and toilets including at least one set in an outside building. It was fine but very basic.

Since then we've booked holiday cottages with enough doubles, twins and singles to accommodate everyone a bit more comfortably.

Since then we've booked holiday cottages with enough doubles, twins and singles to accommodate everyone a bit more comfortably.

Hastily crosses caving club huts off the list

(cheap at about £6 pppn though... :thinking: just sayin...)

(mutters something about southerners)

Yorkshire is entirely too big, for some reason I had it in mind the dales were nearer York than Kendal...

I might be up for this too, just trying to work out railway logistics.

Hastily crosses caving club huts off the list

(cheap at about £6 pppn though... :thinking: just sayin...)

(mutters something about southerners)

We don't want to end up smelling of damp mice and covered in cave spiders! ;)

Last edited:
We're interested, depending on the dates.

We don't want to end up smelling of damp mice and covered in cave spiders! ;)
Damp cavers smell a lot worse than damp mice. We stayed in one place where the choice of mattress was between ones with mouse droppings or ones with what appeared to be dried blood :eek:. Normally it's just mud though.

Yorkshire is entirely too big, for some reason I had it in mind the dales were nearer York than Kendal...

I might be up for this too, just trying to work out railway logistics.
As above really, if you can get on the west coast line I can pick you from Oxenhome or Lancaster. Or from Carlisle get the Settle-Carlisle line which is very scenic and I'll pick you up where ever is neasrest to where we are staying. I know nothing about the East coast line so can't help if you end up going that way.

Damp cavers smell a lot worse than damp mice. We stayed in one place where the choice of mattress was between ones with mouse droppings or ones with what appeared to be dried blood :eek:. Normally it's just mud though.

Think I'll stick to bothys.

As above really, if you can get on the west coast line I can pick you from Oxenhome or Lancaster. Or from Carlisle get the Settle-Carlisle line which is very scenic and I'll pick you up where ever is neasrest to where we are staying. I know nothing about the East coast line so can't help if you end up going that way.

Sounds like a plan, Carlisle is well served from here, only a few less trains going to Oxenholme but I think I'd prefer to cut cross.

There are a few options for the train if that's of any interest, I can pick you up from Lancaster or Mr&Mrs Snap might be passing close to a station somewhere between Crewe and Preston ;), or train to Leeds and then the Settle-Carlisle. Or if you are really into trains, get the train to Carlisle and then get the Settle-Carlise back south, you would certainly see a big chunk of the the area between the Peak District and Glasgow that way :)

Great, it's really not far between the two National Parks so you might as well make the most of it.

It's more the journey time than not wanting to drive, and I think the trains are only slightly quicker (and for the price I could actually fly to Poland and back!!). Plus if I get the train then I need to get lifts off people whenever we go anywhere and I felt pretty guilty about that in the Highlands!

If we were to come we would probably leave the night before and stay in a Travelodge half way.

I'd be provisionally interested, haven't done much photography over the last few years and early next year would be around the time I'm finishing my thesis / viva time.

a) Provisionally, yes.
b) March-June should be OK.
c) Something not too primitive, prefer just a Saturday, possibly Fri & Saturday nights.
d) Somewhere with rolling hills & flowing water. :)

I may have to buy a film camera. :p

Right, getting a bit organised, Easter is 19/20/21 of April, and my lad's school at least has Easter holidays the two weeks before that and of course prices reflect that. So that is pretty much all of April taken up, the weekend starting Friday the 26th might be an option, the following weekend is the early May bank holiday but prices don't seem to be too affected by that.

I reckon we have
@sirch
@Mrs Snap and @Andysnap
@Harlequin565
@ChrisR + 1
@RaglanSurf + 1
@Woodsy + 1

and possibly
@Fraser Euan White
@Carl Hall + 1
@stevelmx5
@steveo_mcg
@StephenM + 1
@robhooley167
@ancient_mariner

If my counting skills are reasonably accurate that is 10 fairly certain with another possible 9. Which leads me to think that it might be better to be close to alternative accommodation options so that people who are not sure or who don't want the full 4 nights can book somehting close by.

How much do folk want to spend, for a 5 bed house for 10 people prices are from around £1000 upwards, or there are places like this http://www.pinecroft.co.uk . Going up to 7 or 8 bedrooms seems to really ramp up the price to nearer to £2000. For more flexible accommodation we are back to bunk houses or hostels of which there are some quite smart ones but tend to have shared rooms, hostels might be an option - https://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/p...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=yhakettlewell

Or if you really want to get away from it all, this https://www.haltongillbunkbarn.co.uk/ has 8 bedrooms for up to 40 people and is in a lovely remote location, probably 10 miles from the nearest shop :)

I stayed there on a TP meet a few years ago, it was ok accommodation wise but it is fairly remote. There is a pub a couple of miles away which was nice but very small and i can't remember if there was a shop anywhere nearby.

Back