F&C Do the Dales - CANCELLED

Preferred Dates and Accommodation (have a read through the thread first, a lot has been discussed)

• 29 March to 1 April (Sunrise 5:46am)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 26 to 29 April

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 10 to 13 May (Sunrise 5am)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bunk House

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Hostel with individual rooms for couples

• Large Holiday Home, double/twin rooms

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 2 Nights

• 3 Nights

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 4 Nights

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I stayed there on a TP meet a few years ago, it was ok accommodation wise but it is fairly remote. There is a pub a couple of miles away which was nice but very small and i can't remember if there was a shop anywhere nearby.
Was it called Royston Vasey? ;)

I stayed there on a TP meet a few years ago, it was ok accommodation wise but it is fairly remote. There is a pub a couple of miles away which was nice but very small and i can't remember if there was a shop anywhere nearby.
10 miles from a shop is a good thing in my book and Littondale is a lovely dale

I suspect people might need to know dates before they can say one way or the other?

20/21 April is a no (wedding anniversary)
27/28 April is fine
4/5 May is a no (my 49th again)
Anything after that is fine.

Can do Friday night, Saturday night & Sunday night but not Monday night.

Cash wise, I don't mind paying a bit more for comfort, but for those of us without +1s it might be worth checking to make sure some of the rooms have twin singles (I'm guessing most of them do?) so that no-ones forced to sleep on the floor or a couch or :shudder: share a double :)

How many 49th birthdays can you have, Ian? (My OH has only recently given up claiming to be 49 and a bit... :D )

How many 49th birthdays can you have, Ian?

Well I'm going to have at least one more. Quite enjoyed it this year. Think I'll just do it again.

How many 49th birthdays can you have, Ian? (My OH has only recently given up claiming to be 49 and a bit... :D )

I make it possibly 13.

I haven't had a proper chance to have a good look at the places you've linked to so far. I'll try and do so later but I've not got a lot of free time at the moment :rolleyes:

I've organised a couple of F&C weekends and a week long holiday so I can quickly provide a couple of general tips / feedback:

Ideally, you need somewhere self contained. People will bring loads of cameras and associated paraphernalia with them, some of it very expensive, and there are obviously security concerns with shared accommodation. We had a smallish hostel in the Lakes but we hired the whole place to ourselves so sharing with other hostellers wasn't an issue.

If everyone can be accommodated in the same property, so much the better.

Over the last few trips the dynamic of attendees has evolved from mainly singletons with fewer couples to mainly couples with fewer singletons so the types of accommodation booked has evolved accordingly. Personally, I don't need all the bells and whistles like en-suites etc (although it's nice to have them!) but I do want a private room.

Hope this helps! :)

I'd be interested, depending on the dates, Friday to Monday would suit me

I'd be interested, depending on the dates, Friday to Monday would suit me

Hi Jim, did you notice that this thread is in the film and conventional section? We obviously don't exclude people if they shoot digital but we do reserve the right to take the Mickey out of them if they do :D.

Of course there would be plenty of spare 'proper' cameras if you wanted to borrow one ;)

Andy

Ideally, you need somewhere self contained.
Yes, that's what I have been looking at

If everyone can be accommodated in the same property, so much the better.
Again, yes

I do want a private room
And again, very much what I have been looking at.

However there are at least 4 couples and two singletons, meaning at least 5 rooms. Then there are almost the same number of may-bes. In terms of pricing there seems to be quite a step up in the well-appointed holiday home market if you go from 5 bedrooms to 6 or more, A 5 bedroom place can be had for around £1000 upwards for 4 nights but a 7/8 bedroom place is around £2000. Which left me wondering if it is fair to saddle the 10 definites with potentially around £200 per person and a lot of empty rooms for the weekend if none of the may-bes actually attend.

Another alternative is to just book a 5 bed place and let the may-bes sort themselves out accommodation wise.

The final option that I had considered was to find somewhere that was quite flexible. The place at Halton Gill has 8 bedrooms, yes they are bunk rooms but that still means that all the couples attending the whole weekend get a room each and everyone else shares for whatever nights they attend. Alternatively the Pine Croft place (http://www.pinecroft.co.uk .) is a collection of log cabins of various sizes on one site so we could all be together but have separate bedrooms and to some extent only book for the nights we need.

For me personally I would much rather be a bit remote e.g. in a hamlet or isolated spot than on the side of the A65 (e.g. Pine Croft) or in a town like Skipton, nothing wrong with Skipton (apart from being in Yorkshire :) ) but I would much rather wake up in a rural idyll. I guess when I originally started this I was thinking more of a couple of nights and that people wouldn’t mind slightly less than luxury.

Things are getting booked up but l was going to give people until the weekend before trying to make a descision.

Last edited:
It can be a complex and drawn out process but past experience shows it’s best to get a poll up with choice of dates and destinations, get an idea of numbers and dynamics and then book somewhere from there.
Most of the F&C are good at declaring their preferences and will generally stand by their intentions so you can safely book once you know who wants to come and the comfort levels they would like.

The other option is to book somewhere for yourself and let everyone else make their own arrangements if they want to join you, obviously you’re not going to get the full communal F&C experience but at least then you are in charge of your own destiny.

OK, poll added. I'm over there every few weeks and can kip in the van so I don't need to book anything :)

Having done more digging around what is available there really isn’t much choice of large places to rent and many of those are already booked. Obviously prices go up and availability goes down around bank holidays and school holidays, which rights-off most of April and some weekends in May, also by May sunrise is getting to be a bit early. Location is in or close to the Yorkshire Dales National Park but beyond that and given that there isn't much choice the exact location will be wherever the available accommodation is.

I'm still a bit unsure about what people are prepared to pay for 4 nights and I will say again that there is a BIG difference between a farm house with 4 or 5 double/twin rooms and a mansion with 7 or 8 bedrooms.

I know the Dales very well as I used to spend most weekends there when i lived in the UK and yes I wouldn't say no to an opportunity to return for a short visit so @sirch Chris you can note my interest.

As for accomodation I will sort myself out as I really won't know if I'm able to make the journey or not until very close to the date.( when and where is irrelevant to me, I can be available whenever)
I realise this may make finding digs somewhat difficult at last minute but due to personal circumstances I'm unable to make a commitment earlier.

That aside, my other issue is going to be getting from airport to the location.
I'll have to double check but I think Liverpool will be the nearest I can fly to.

Having been out of the UK for nearly years, I'm far from cued up on public transport etc.

I'd potentially be interested, work permitting - never been on an F&C trip before!

Not sure if this may be helpful regarding accommodation, but there is a bunkhouse actually on the edge of Malham village - less than 1/2 mile from Malham Cove.
It has room sizes of 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 15 - cost for the whole thing appears to be around £900 for a Fri-Mon.

The same people also have a cottage nearby which sleeps 5 in 3 bedrooms - cost seems to be around £350. In both cases, the online booking doesn't seem to work, so would need phoning them.
There are a couple of pubs in the village, and several B&Bs so would potentially give some flexibility for those only staying a single night etc...

The bunkhouse, cottage, and B&Bs are all within a 5 minute walk of the village centre with the 2 pubs.

I have no association with the bunkhouse/cottage, apart from having stayed at the bunkhouse once around 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I know the Dales very well as I used to spend most weekends there when i lived in the UK and yes I wouldn't say no to an opportunity to return for a short visit so @sirch Chris you can note my interest.

As for accomodation I will sort myself out as I really won't know if I'm able to make the journey or not until very close to the date.( when and where is irrelevant to me, I can be available whenever)
I realise this may make finding digs somewhat difficult at last minute but due to personal circumstances I'm unable to make a commitment earlier.

I'll have to double check but I think Liverpool will be the nearest I can fly to.

Having been out of the UK for nearly years, I'm far from cued up on public transport etc.

Could you perhaps stretch to hiring a small camper van?

Voted.

Not fussed on the accommodation as there's no mention of "tent" which makes me happy.

How many nights are we talking about? Friday/Saturday/Sunday? If 3 nights I'd be happy to pay from £50-100/night depending on accommodation quality.

Also, @Asha - Any chance of you getting into Manchester instead? I can get you from both, but Manc is much easier & closer. Also, the drop on Monday might be problematic as I have to be back (home) by 4pm (to get out again for 6) so if it were Liverpool I'd have to leave much earlier. Not a problem if no one else can help out...

That bunkhouse looks good. I was thinking that if we had the space, I could fetch my lights up and people could have a go at some studio stuff when it's dark or wet playtime (unless it's "pub" :)). That'll test those whose cameras are always on infinity (self included!). Could set up 3 single lights (I have 3 triggers) or one 3-light (or any combination thereof). Requirement would be a hotshoe or pc sync port for the older cameras.

Also, @Asha - Any chance of you getting into Manchester instead? I can get you from both, but Manc is much easier & closer. Also, the drop on Monday might be problematic as I have to be back (home) by 4pm (to get out again for 6) so if it were Liverpool I'd have to leave much earlier. Not a problem if no one else can help out...

Really kind offer there Ian, Thank you!

I haven't yet looked at flights.
I think Manchester is possible but it depends on which airline flies from Nice.
I know that that E/jet do Liverpool and pretty much all year round .
I think Manchester is seasonal and not covered by them.
So then of course there is the question of cost….I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience but not something daft like double the price.

Once we know dates etc then it will be easier to look into the different options.

Since Northern Rail took over the railways round here they have been pretty rubbish, if it's an option you might be better off flying to Leeds/Bradford and then getting the train from there.

How many nights are we talking about? Friday/Saturday/Sunday?
That's what I had in mind but @Mrs Snap leads me to believe that some places only do Friday to Monday nights as weekend lets and then there are a few people who thought a couple of nights was too short given the distance they are travelling. But once we have a date I can check availability, etc.

Having been out of the UK for nearly years, I'm far from clued up on public transport etc.

From what I know Easyjet will mainly fly you into Liverpool, but check the timetables for Manchester.
Public transport from Liverpool Airport to the Yorkshire Dales will not be easy, quick or fun.
Rail will be from Liverpool South Parkway - there are regular shuttle buses from airport to there. It's a mainline station so in theory trains can be caught to anywhere with a couple of connections. But, that's when your problems start. As Chris says Northern Rail is just about the most unreliable, uncomfortable, unpunctual and anti customer rail franchise it is possible to invent. It is widely rumoured that they will have their franchise removed at next year's renewal:banana::banana::banana:
To get anywhere near Yorkshire Dales by rail you will have to use Northern at some point on your journey.:mad::mad::mad:
Forget travel by bus.
Three car hire places at the airport but that puts the cost up.
Same caveat about travel from Leeds. Northern Rail have their tentacles extending into that area as well.
Buses in the Dales are approx one every three hours!!!

If you come, and are absolutely, totally, iredeemably desperate I could come and pick you up, but I'm not a filmy so won't be at the meet. That would depend on dates and times, of course. And where you want taking to:eek:

If you come, and are absolutely, totally, iredeemably desperate I could come and pick you up, but I'm not a filmy so won't be at the meet

That is very generous.

You know, despite what you might have heard, non film photographers are not unwelcome on film meets.

I think.

Isn't this forum just ace, not least of all for the kindness of folks ( often having never met each other!):)

Excellent info there @mickledore along with the offer to ensure that I wouldn't bet stranded like a "lost foreigner":D ….. I send you a thousand thanks ;)

The public transport system was rapidly deteriorating before i left the UK so it's little surprise to learn of ir's present state….. sad though!.:(

That is very generous.

You know, despite what you might have heard, non film photographers are not unwelcome on film meets.

I think.

So long as they don't start a debate over a certin M10 D :D:D:D

That's what I had in mind but @Mrs Snap leads me to believe that some places only do Friday to Monday nights as weekend lets and then there are a few people who thought a couple of nights was too short given the distance they are travelling. But once we have a date I can check availability, etc.

Nope, sorry. A Friday to Monday weekend is 3 nights. I said most places did that as opposed to a 2 night weekend...

Minime vero. Lingua Anglicorum locuta est.

If we both go to the meet, you could learn both Filmish and Frenchish at the same time and go home talking Frilchish :ROFLMAO:
Some folk say that I can't speek Englich proper so they might not notice any change:oops: :$

If we're talking proper English, then the only dialect that directly relates to the original Anglo Saxon is from where I live.

@dmb knows a thing or two about this.

story cottage.jpg

Back