F&C Do the Dales - CANCELLED

Preferred Dates and Accommodation (have a read through the thread first, a lot has been discussed)

• 29 March to 1 April (Sunrise 5:46am)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 26 to 29 April

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 10 to 13 May (Sunrise 5am)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bunk House

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Hostel with individual rooms for couples

• Large Holiday Home, double/twin rooms

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 2 Nights

• 3 Nights

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 4 Nights

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thoughts please,

I'm in.

I'd probably consider the latter just to have a bit more space as the prices are really close together. Also the latter one has proper parking (rather than on-street at the 1st location) Ultimately though, I'm happy to go with Chris' decision as he's taking the time to organise.
Just let me know how much deposit you need @sirch. Can BT it over whenever.

Dale House is showing availability for weekend of 29 March at £1185.

@sirch many thanks for all the research you’ve done. Unfortunately @Woodsy and I are going to have to give this one a miss [emoji853] Hope you have a great time!

Hi guys, if I'm free when the event is taking place I'll try get up and see you all and hopefully spend the Sunday shooting with you. I can't commit to the weekend due to work but I only live a couple of miles from Skipton so will be able to get to wherever you decide to stay and shoot without much trouble

It's gone a bit quiet in here, are people sill up for it??? If so I think we probably need to get a deposit down on somewhere before they get booked up - Dale House in Kettlewell seems to be the front runner - £1185 for the three nights

Or we could just meet up on one of the above weekends in Kettlewell or where ever and sort out our own accommodation, TBH the April weekend is more likely to be "clement", there could well still be snow on the ground in March.

If you want me to book a house I am happy to do it if I get some confirmation from folk.

How many do we need to commit? 8? (1185/8 = £150 each which is fine by me. More people = cheaper)

I'm in by the way.

Also might be worth pinging people who've expressed an interest.

I'm still waiting to know what the dates are, as the last I saw the front runner had been discarded. If it's for the later dates - either of them - then we're definitely out as it makes it too near to another holiday date.

Edit to add - see post #120

Last edited:
:) Sorry I think that was just a cock-up on my part, I'm happy to go with the poll, there is of course the nagging doubt that the people who voted may not be the same as the ones that turn up but I will change the thread title to nail it down, no that the poll has closed.

Well, for what it's worth, Sue and I are in if the earlier date, and out otherwise. If you want to knock my votes off the tally, I went for the first date, large holiday home and a vote each for 3 and 4 nights.

Move us up to the definite list - assuming accomodation etc.

I'm working on this and have found a possible way to fly to / from Manchester.

If the very kind offer of pick up / drop off remains available from Ian @Harlequin565 then the following journey would be possible;

Arrive Manchester Friday 29th March @ 13.25

Depart Manchester Monday 1st April @ 19.40

Being stuck in the airport for a few hours is no problem to me ( good job as the return flight is split with a lengthy stop in Paris) so whatever time I get collected and deposited is irrelevant providing of course it is early enough for check in !!

Obviously there is the cost of accomodation to add on ( if Ians calculations of £150 turn out to be the rate then although it's not bad for 3 nights, it would be more than what it will cost me in flights!). I'd hope there were going to be more attendees and thus bring the price down.

Last edited:
If the very kind offer of pick up / drop off remains available from Ian @Harlequin565 then the following journey would be possible;

Yep. I'll come get you. No probs.

Pickup is fine, but re:drop off - I need to be home by 4pm to be out again to teach at college for 6pm, so I'd need to drop you at the airport for around 3pm which is a 4 hour wait. I guess that's not terrible though?

Yep. I'll come get you. No probs.

Pickup is fine, but re:drop off - I need to be home by 4pm to be out again to teach at college for 6pm, so I'd need to drop you at the airport for around 3pm which is a 4 hour wait. I guess that's not terrible though?

What a guy (y)

A four hour wait is no big deal.

A visit to the shops, a drink, check in and security will make that pass quite quickly;)

I haven't yet booked the flights as we need to see exactly what is happening re accomodation ( Number of folk predominantly) but should it come off then you'll be the first to know.

Many thanks in advance for your help.:ty:

I've updated the first post with current details, which are:

We are meeting on the weekend of the 29th of March for 3 nights

The front- runner for accomodation is Dale House in Kettlewell but we need a few more people to make that worthwhile, otherwise I'll find a smaller option.

Confirmed so far are
@sirch
@Harlequin565
@StephenM +1
@Asha

Anyone else interested please confirm either with a post in this thread or send me a message.

We're still interested but not at £150pp for a weekend (we only paid £120pp for a full week on the F&C trip to Scotland last month!). We think you'd need a minimum of 12 people to bring Dale House down to a reasonable cost. There may be other houses that are better options for a smaller group.

We're still interested but not at £150pp for a weekend (we only paid £120pp for a full week on the F&C trip to Scotland last month!). We think you'd need a minimum of 12 people to bring Dale House down to a reasonable cost. There may be other houses that are better options for a smaller group.

Well that's what I'm hoping for or I will look for smaller alternatives, I have asked several times what folk are prepared to pay but not had much response, I have also suggested cheaper options. TBH there is nothing at the prices/standard of the Onich house available in the Dales.

I have asked several times what folk are prepared to pay but not had much response

That price point is OK with us, but I can appreciate the problem. But then, we're used to spending a weekend in a hotel in York over my birthday, which works out about the same (assuming it's £150 doubled for 2 people).

Despite voting for these dates, I've discovered I almost certainly can't attend, as the 1st is my grandson's 4th birthday. Presence Is Required! I'm really sorry as I would very much like to come.

Sorry to you can't make it but thanks for letting me know

OK, this seems to have got stuck in a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, I can't book accommodation unless I have some idea of definite numbers and people, understandably, don't want to commit unless they know what the accommodation is. I don't want to just let this drift and accommodation is going to get booked up.

So I'm going back to plan A, I'll be in the dales on the weekend of the 29th of March and/or the 26th of April. If anyone wants to meet me there that would be great, I can advise on locations and accommodation but it I will leave it to you to book your own.

Sorry if anyone is disappointed by this.

I understand why you've made this choice Chris, I'm still up for coming. As I said it'll probably just be the Saturday afternoon n Sunday I can do due to work unless I can book the Saturday of work. I've a couple of weeks holiday to book so I'll try booking that week on off

OK, this seems to have got stuck in a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, I can't book accommodation unless I have some idea of definite numbers and people, understandably, don't want to commit unless they know what the accommodation is. I don't want to just let this drift and accommodation is going to get booked up.

So I'm going back to plan A, I'll be in the dales on the weekend of the 29th of March and/or the 26th of April. If anyone wants to meet me there that would be great, I can advise on locations and accommodation but it I will leave it to you to book your own.

Not surprised Chris, to be honest just organising a day trip is difficult enough. I’m in the middle of having building work done so I’ve been a bit distracted and tbh honest this trip has been on the back burner a bit. Hopefully we’ll still make it up and if it’s not a big communal house share we might come up in the campervan.

Is this happening, and if so which weekend? I don't think I can make the first of these...

Well given that 29th March is 3 days away, I assume it's not going to be over subscribed this weekend but I'm happy to meet people on Friday of Saturday if anyone is interested.

And looking at my diary I've got something else pencilled in for 27th of April so unless there is a sudden ground swell of enthusiasm I going to call the whole thing off.

Given that we've just had a long weekend away at the Photography Show, and that my car is making serious sounding noises and is going in on the 29th, I think we're out. I'm expecting not to have the car over the weekend so won't be going anywhere.

Since @ChrisR asked and no one else has expressed further interest I am knocking this on the head, so it is

CANCELLED

Back