F1 British GP (More from the cheap seats)

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Well it's yet another BGP thread, this time from me - every year Silverstone messes with my favourite places and I hate the crowds, so thanks you lot, you ruined the GP for me ;) ;) ;) Only really had Friday to shoot as I was covering the Silverstone Heliport for the operating company (no complaints) - did get a chance to sneak off a few times to shoot a little of Quali and the race with the wrong lens and no hope of getting to the front :)... See what you think, C&C welcome as always, rip on them as much as necessary.

1. Lets start with some 0.4s Marmite - No Photoshop Fakery!
Sergio 'Checo' Pérez - Force India Mercedes by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Carlos Sainz... less marmite, less um anything really
Carols Sainz - Toro Rosso by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. Lewis was reasonably strong
Lewis Hamilton by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. Boring Journo shot of the uglyfying device
Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari - Halo by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. The rich folk looking down on the peons
Fans at the Grand Prix by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. The poor local tog looking down on... EVERYONE! (possibly not a cheap seat for this one)
Silverstone British Grand Prix from the Air by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

7. Nnnnneeeeeooooowwwwwww!
Daniel Ricciardo - Red Bull Racing by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

8. More Marmite to finish
Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes - Halo by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Last edited:
All great but really like the Marmite pic (y) Where were you stood for 3 as I'm already planning places to shoot next year :oops: :$ I'm amazed how there's no hint of fencing at all as I went to Donnington the other week and even right up against the fence there's areas on the frame where there's hints of fencing, such as loss of contrast and detail. Admittedly these were at f8 not f5.6 like yours, but they were at 600mm which I thought would compensate.

1st marmite shot does it for me, tack-sharp car with the warm colours in the blurred background set this apart from anything else you've done in that style, I'm well-jel!

Love the marmite Jonny!! Great set!

Cheers Stevie, thanks a lot :)

All great but really like the Marmite pic (y) Where were you stood for 3 as I'm already planning places to shoot next year :oops: :$ I'm amazed how there's no hint of fencing at all as I went to Donnington the other week and even right up against the fence there's areas on the frame where there's hints of fencing, such as loss of contrast and detail. Admittedly these were at f8 not f5.6 like yours, but they were at 600mm which I thought would compensate.

#3 is between Brooklands and Luffield, if its not too bright the fence is easy to get around at f8. itll only really become an issue if its in bright sunshine and the subject is fairly close to the fence. So your ideal location will be overcast, using the widest aperture available, ensuring the subject is at least 10-15m beyond the fence (this could be what was catching you out at donnigton along with sun). #2 is 560mm at f8... most of my shots from here were a write off because of hazey focus from the glare and heat rather than because any impact from the fence.

Marmite photo is spectacular.

Cheers mate :)

1st marmite shot does it for me, tack-sharp car with the warm colours in the blurred background set this apart from anything else you've done in that style, I'm well-jel!

Haha thanks very much

Very very nice Jonathan, what can you say about #1 except :clap::jawdrop::clap:

Cheers Graham... it was.. um.. a bit of a process to get that one in the bag

#3 is between Brooklands and Luffield, if its not too bright the fence is easy to get around at f8. itll only really become an issue if its in bright sunshine and the subject is fairly close to the fence. So your ideal location will be overcast, using the widest aperture available, ensuring the subject is at least 10-15m beyond the fence (this could be what was catching you out at donnigton along with sun). #2 is 560mm at f8... most of my shots from here were a write off because of hazey focus from the glare and heat rather than because any impact from the fence.
Thanks for this, I'll definitely head to this area next year for practice and/or qualy. I was going to sit in Woodcote Block 1 but chose Club Corner in the end. Doubt I'll be taking pics on race day though as I'd imagine it's too crowded to get decent shots, and from where I'll be sitting it won't be a great angle for piccies (although should be good to watch the race).

With regards to the fencing, having gone back to my Donington pics I must have been having a moment as the shots were at f18 so no wonder the fence showed up. It was a very sunny day and to get any pans 1/100 and slower required extremely small apertures. At 1/40 I was at f22 and still overexposing o_O

Another vote for 1 Jonathan

Cheers Gaza :)

Thanks for this, I'll definitely head to this area next year for practice and/or qualy. I was going to sit in Woodcote Block 1 but chose Club Corner in the end. Doubt I'll be taking pics on race day though as I'd imagine it's too crowded to get decent shots, and from where I'll be sitting it won't be a great angle for piccies (although should be good to watch the race).

With regards to the fencing, having gone back to my Donington pics I must have been having a moment as the shots were at f18 so no wonder the fence showed up. It was a very sunny day and to get any pans 1/100 and slower required extremely small apertures. At 1/40 I was at f22 and still overexposing o_O

Haha yea that'll account for it - get yourself an ND filter, although if you're at 600mm im guessing your element is going to be pretty big, so may be drop ins for you. #9 & 10 from this set are shot through the fence at the exit of club, yeah sat and sunday are a chore to shoot - for isolated shots of cars anyway, but they do also mean theres scope for shots like #1 & 8 (although far more difficult to achieve) shooting from any grandstand tends to result in pretty lame angles to be honest, youre better off at eye level through fence for the most part.

Cheers Gaza :)

Haha yea that'll account for it - get yourself an ND filter, although if you're at 600mm im guessing your element is going to be pretty big, so may be drop ins for you. #9 & 10 from this set are shot through the fence at the exit of club, yeah sat and sunday are a chore to shoot - for isolated shots of cars anyway, but they do also mean theres scope for shots like #1 & 8 (although far more difficult to achieve) shooting from any grandstand tends to result in pretty lame angles to be honest, youre better off at eye level through fence for the most part.
Thanks again. Yeah I think it's 95mm IIRC so filters are pretty pricey. Is Saturday bad too then, thought it'd just be Sunday?

So how did you achieve the first shot then, shooting 'through' people?

Thanks again. Yeah I think it's 95mm IIRC so filters are pretty pricey. Is Saturday bad too then, thought it'd just be Sunday?

So how did you achieve the first shot then, shooting 'through' people?

Could be worth it though for those 1 in 100 sunny days ;) - yep exactly, stood at the back of the crowd, pre focused on the track through them, then kept panning and panning until one came out :D

Could be worth it though for those 1 in 100 sunny days ;) - yep exactly, stood at the back of the crowd, pre focused on the track through them, then kept panning and panning until one came out :D
Cool, sounds tricky. I could ask Santa for a filter, after all there's nearly a year before Silverstone so it's not exactly urgent :LOL:

…and I too go for #1…
super cool, very graphic!

Irritatingly spectacular as always :D

Question, why do you use a 5D MKIII over a something like with a cropped sensor like a 7D MKII ?

Irritatingly spectacular as always :D

Question, why do you use a 5D MKIII over a something like with a cropped sensor like a 7D MKII ?

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Lol when I got the 5D 3 years ago I also purchased a 7D MK 1 at the same time and it was the most horrific thing I've ever used - possibly a bad copy but the focus was crap, the image quality was crap, the noise was horrific at ISO 200 and people kept telling me it was normal in the owners thread here, I sold it 6 months later after trying to get it repaired and serviced, for a loss and it was the best decision I made ... If I hadn't already sold the 40d I was using previously I would have been happier with that. The 5d however had better autofocus than anything I had ever used before (I still think generally Canon have the best autofocus systems on the market despite my 7d experience), the image quality and resolving power was on a different planet too... It's hindered by the lack of crop factor for telephoto stuff but even with a crappy old sigma 1.4 and the canon 400 f5.6 and a bit of processing I can still get a decent shot through a fence out of that combination... I can't afford a new body or longer lenses so I'm kinda stuck with what I have for the foreseeable, I don't need the burst, I don't like the noise, I prefer the flexibility the 5d gives me for off track and non Motorsport stuff.. I'm interest in the 7d ii boosted AF performance but that's it really... The 5d 4 will probably make me feel very sad that I can't make money out of this lark I'd probably consider the 1dx ii but let's be serious how many times can I say I'm poor :D ...to summarise, full frame, decent resolution (the more mpx the better), great auto focus is what I need from a camera with the way I shoot

Thanks man, much appreciated!

Lol when I got the 5D 3 years ago I also purchased a 7D MK 1 at the same time and it was the most horrific thing I've ever used - possibly a bad copy but the focus was crap, the image quality was crap, the noise was horrific at ISO 200 and people kept telling me it was normal in the owners thread here, I sold it 6 months later after trying to get it repaired and serviced, for a loss and it was the best decision I made ... If I hadn't already sold the 40d I was using previously I would have been happier with that. The 5d however had better autofocus than anything I had ever used before (I still think generally Canon have the best autofocus systems on the market despite my 7d experience), the image quality and resolving power was on a different planet too... It's hindered by the lack of crop factor for telephoto stuff but even with a crappy old sigma 1.4 and the canon 400 f5.6 and a bit of processing I can still get a decent shot through a fence out of that combination... I can't afford a new body or longer lenses so I'm kinda stuck with what I have for the foreseeable, I don't need the burst, I don't like the noise, I prefer the flexibility the 5d gives me for off track and non Motorsport stuff.. I'm interest in the 7d ii boosted AF performance but that's it really... The 5d 4 will probably make me feel very sad that I can't make money out of this lark I'd probably consider the 1dx ii but let's be serious how many times can I say I'm poor :D ...to summarise, full frame, decent resolution (the more mpx the better), great auto focus is what I need from a camera with the way I shoot

You've just made my 7D2 Vs 5D3 decision much harder lol. Cheers!

Amazing photos.
The first one is out of this world.
0.4 s panning ? how many years do I need to practice for this :) :)

Awesome captures. My last F1 race attendance was 4 years ago and I long to go back soon.

Back