F1 Young Driver Test

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
Havent posted for a while as most of my stuff has just been same old things I've been posting already, and I thought you might be getting a bit bored.

As some of you know, I decided it would be a good idea to get a second body, and also decided I'd use it as a first stage to dumping Canon for Nikon.
So, I 'bought' a Nikon D7100 and obviously had to replace the canon fit lens and get a new Sigma too.. Decided to get the new Sport version of the 120-330 f2.8

Havent got any races to cover for a few weeks, so i needed to test the combo.
Thought I'd take it up to Silverstone for the F1 testing. Was quite weird being on the punter side of the fence, but it was a good challenge.. Could have done with having more than one corner to shoot though!

Here are six of my favourites (all 120-300mm)

DSC_0278_xlarge.jpg

1) Toro Rosso

DSC_0311_xlarge.jpg

2) Kevin Magnussen

DSC_0409_xlarge.jpg

3) Car with a Lotus sticker on it.

DSC_0445_xlarge.jpg

4) its there somewhere

DSC_0598_xlarge.jpg

5) Car the used to have a Lotus sticker on it.

DSC_0733_xlarge.jpg

6) Caffeine on wheels

How can anyone get bored looking at your shots? Motorsports don't really float my boat but I love your images for the angles and interpretations of the shot. Really enjoy your unique technique.

Absoloutly terrible to look at the watermarking is ruining the pics and makes me feel sick looking at then they get a totall zero from me .as I think they are crap.

BUT if there was no watermark they MIGHT be better

Dave

Really nice shots, #5 is a winner for me.

Home come there was only one corner to shoot from? Silverstone on lockdown?

Absoloutly terrible to look at the watermarking is ruining the pics and makes me feel sick looking at then they get a totall zero from me .as I think they are crap.

Dave

Haha that's me favourite reply :)

Going to put it as a by-line on my next advert in Autosport lol

Really nice shots, #5 is a winner for me.

Home come there was only one corner to shoot from? Silverstone on lockdown?

Yes it's miserable here, lol although the weather is good. Only luffield terrace, national pit straight to the tunnel and the scrub in front of abbey stand... Apparently a condition of fom to open to general public...

Yes it's miserable here, lol although the weather is good. Only luffield terrace, national pit straight to the tunnel and the scrub in front of abbey stand... Apparently a condition of fom to open to general public...

it basically so they dont have to spend so much money on G4S types in day glo tabards.

Gary - happy with the focus speed of that combo and the handling? Did you grip the D7100? Looking at this combo instead of a D600 with that lens...did you find issues with the buffer speed that has been much talked about?

Gary - happy with the focus speed of that combo and the handling? Did you grip the D7100? Looking at this combo instead of a D600 with that lens...did you find issues with the buffer speed that has been much talked about?

i dont think my old combo would have pulled off these images.. 1/40 at 300mm panning was pretty much impossible. in fact i was surprised by the hit rate.

didnt have too much of a problem with the buffering as i dont really shoot rapid fire much. i did notice it takes a bloody long time to show you the last image shot though. but then i was shooting RAW with a fairly slow SD card.

Corsa said:

Dave

Haha

Hahahaha

Hahahahahaha

... Oh, sorry. That was a joke, right?

Gary, any chance you could jot down a couple of thoughts re the new 120-300 v the older (OS) version?

Haha

Hahahaha

Hahahahahaha

... Oh, sorry. That was a joke, right?

Gary, any chance you could jot down a couple of thoughts re the new 120-300 v the older (OS) version?

will do.. i really want to test it with some shots of cars coming towards me filling the frame.. couldnt do it at Silverstone, but will pop to Snett on Saturday and give it a go.. then I'll give it more of a review.
the only other problem is its a complete new combo for me, so i'm not sure if the improvements are lens or body or both.. most likely both.

it basically so they dont have to spend so much money on G4S types in day glo tabards.

I had assumed it was that but after speaking to a ticket goblin apparently FOM decided the area that would have public access.. Silverstone will categorically not open any more of the track, but will open more grandstands in this section if enough people show up

I had assumed it was that but after speaking to a ticket goblin apparently FOM decided the area that would have public access.. Silverstone will categorically not open any more of the track, but will open more grandstands in this section if enough people show up

last time i went to f1 testing was about 8 years ago and it was pretty much the same bit that was open.. although you could see bridge corner before.

Shows what you know my friend :)

Dons flamesuit.

I actually think he has a point. The watermark makes it very uncomfortable viewing for me as well. Fair enough for commercial work, but testing new equipment and posting the results on a photography forum? I'm not so sure that such a huge watermark is necessary. Anyway, no doubt I'll get ripped to bits for saying this.

As for the images, I think the last one is superb. Really like the framing of it. Some of the other ones though are a bit like the emperors new clothes for me I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Dons flamesuit.

I actually think he has a point. The watermark makes it very uncomfortable viewing for me as well. Fair enough for commercial work, but testing new equipment and posting the results on a photography forum? I'm not so sure that such a huge watermark is necessary. Anyway, no doubt I'll get ripped to bits for saying this.

As for the images, I think the last one is superb. Really like the framing of it. Some of the other ones though are a bit like the emperors new clothes for me I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Simon.

its all fair comment about the watermarks.. but when the shots get uploaded to my site they can only be added to every photo or none.

its worked quite well over the past few years. some people hate them, but most people dont mind them at all.

I think your post was worded a little better than the other post :)

srhmoto said:
Dons flamesuit.

Cheers,

Simon.

Most of us were laughing at this comment I think:

Corsa said:
Dave

Watermarks are always going to be a marmite issue but if you are a working photographer, then potentially every shot has a monetary value. The pics of Lewis Hamilton when he was a kid have made a fair bit I would imagine.

I saw a post two weeks ago from a photographer bemoaning the fact that he'd chucked away his negs of Andy Murray playing tennis as a 14-16yo. :)

PS: whos Don?

Typically good stuff, Gary! I suppose the new, better camera you've bought compensated for having to shoot from outside the wire with the great unwashed! :p

Though, of course, the watermark is the very best bit :naughty:

i dont think my old combo would have pulled off these images.. 1/40 at 300mm panning was pretty much impossible. in fact i was surprised by the hit rate.

Intrigued by this, what makes a particular combo difficult at long focal lengths / slow shutter speeds? I've shot with a very wide range of gear from an old 5D to Micro 4/3 to Fuji X, Sony Alpha and Nikon DX, whilst AF has been noticeably different across them, that hasn't impacted upon use of slow shutter speeds even at some very long focal lengths.

The key difference for me is only when locking on to fast moving subjects very quickly, i.e. after emerging from behind fences etc.

great shots mate, No2 for me. i was supposed to be there tomorrow but have to go into work :(

I like #6, but the shots are far too heavy on the watermarks. It looks like you are standing behind a branded perspex sheet:).

Just out of interest why the change over?

Watermarks are the best bit imho :p

Very very nice. Nice to see something slightly different from you (don't take that the wrong way, love all of your GT stuff. But it's not often you get to shoot F1 cars!)

#5 and #7 are the pick of the bunch for me.

I'm slightly annoyed though. Thought I was finding all the good spots, but you've gone and posted them all before me! Like you said, there's only so much you can do with 2 corners! :D

Just out of interest why the change over?

i think canon are starting to take the p*ss. Every time they make a mk2 mk3 etc they use it to put the price up.
A lot of the accessories are over priced too. 1.4 TC is £400, nikon is £300, wifi adapter is £200, nikon is £50.. The out of date 7D is £1000 then much better brand new nikon d7100 is £800. I've never been fond of people or companies taking you for granted. So I'm off :)

Very very nice. Nice to see something slightly different from you (don't take that the wrong way, love all of your GT stuff. But it's not often you get to shoot F1 cars!)

#5 and #7 are the pick of the bunch for me.

I'm slightly annoyed though. Thought I was finding all the good spots, but you've gone and posted them all before me! Like you said, there's only so much you can do with 2 corners! :D

:)

i think canon are starting to take the p*ss. Every time they make a mk2 mk3 etc they use it to put the price up.
A lot of the accessories are over priced too. 1.4 TC is £400, nikon is £300, wifi adapter is £200, nikon is £50.. The out of date 7D is £1000 then much better brand new nikon d7100 is £800. I've never been fond of people or companies taking you for granted. So I'm off :)

Fair do's, welcome to the Dark side :) I still struggle with the controls on mine after making the change 3 years ago :confused:

Except with the 70D which has the same launch price as the 60D and D7100 and even has built in wifi so you don't have to hand over money to Nikon ;) Yes the 7D is well out of date, not really fair to compare a four year old body to a new one. Apples and oranges...

nice shots but watermarks are bit annoying - I know it is a must, just saying ;)

how is this sigma ? am thinking about one...

Back