Fabulous Farne Islands

Shame on the dolphins mate but that first is to die for, roger your doing great things keep plugging mate. I'm also jealous as hell,ahh one day,but for now I wanna baby deer lmao;)

take care super stuff mate

Stu

Fantastic images, love the first though I went earlier in June 3rd year running love it, although we got to land on the inner Farne they said it was to unsafe to land on Staple Island.
It's been a tough season this year with a lot of landings being cancelled or trips not even started but as enjoyable as ever if you manage to get on the islands ... I made 3 successful double landings this year, which was very fortunate :)

Shame on the dolphins mate but that first is to die for, roger your doing great things keep plugging mate. I'm also jealous as hell,ahh one day,but for now I wanna baby deer lmao;)

take care super stuff mate

Stu

Thanks Stu, it's a great experience and got hundreds more images... to put things in perspective though I've yet to get any decent shots of Hares or Deer. :D

An excellent set. I only managed Inner Farne this year. I prefer Staple for puffins.

Thanks for commenting ... the islands are quite different I was glad I was able to visit both again this year :)

Superb images - the first one in particular is an absolute belter.

What lens/camera combo were you using?

Thanks for commenting Brian ... these images were taken with my Nikon D7200 and Nikon 300mm f4 PF VR.
I also took my D810 and Nikon 24-120 F4 and a couple of ultra wide angle lenses ... last year I took my Nikon 500 F4 VR with tripod and gimbal but found it too much weight and bulk for carrying on and off the boat and around the islands, the crop D7200 together with the 300 PF was a very good lightweight alternative :)

The first picture is fantastic, you must have been pleased with that.
I recently went to Bempton Cliffs, only managed to see a couple of Puffins.

The first picture is fantastic, you must have been pleased with that.
I recently went to Bempton Cliffs, only managed to see a couple of Puffins.

Thanks Chris, I do like that headshot a lot ... strangely another image has just gone on Flickr Explore and IMO is nothing like as good! ( https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...yesterday-part-2.555849/page-122#post-7476211 )

Bempton is such a great place for Gannets and gliding Fulmars but I have always been disappointed with the small number of Puffins there :)

Love the three shots well taken.
they look in good condition.
Looks as if theres enough food in the area for them and the chicks:plus1:

Cap.

Love the three shots well taken.
they look in good condition.
Looks as if theres enough food in the area for them and the chicks:plus1:

Cap.

They do seem to be doing well Martin, the weather has been rough for them over recent months but there seem to be enough chicks to warrant a regular supply of sand-eels and sprats ... and of course help to feed the bandit Black-headed Gulls!

Fabulous images would love to go back there ...

I have been there before but a bit ago now and didn't have the camera I have now so I will have to try again. :)

I have been there before but a bit ago now and didn't have the camera I have now so I will have to try again. :)
Look forward to seeing how you do :)

Another excellent location is Coquet Island, loads of Puffins and one of the very few nesting colonies of Roseate Terns in the British Isles.

Another excellent location is Coquet Island, loads of Puffins and one of the very few nesting colonies of Roseate Terns in the British Isles.

Is it possible to land on Coquet Island, I thought not?

Fantastic shots! I went over to Rathlin Island in Northern Ireland last week to see the puffins there before they fly off and it was really disappointing, as you were so far away from them the only real view was through binoculars which wasn't much good for taking a photo. The best lens I have was no where near good enough.

Fantastic shots! I went over to Rathlin Island in Northern Ireland last week to see the puffins there before they fly off and it was really disappointing, as you were so far away from them the only real view was through binoculars which wasn't much good for taking a photo. The best lens I have was no where near good enough.

Thanks Poppypix, sorry you didn't get to see them well ... maybe try The Farnes or Skomer (nearer to you?) one year :)

Oh thanks for the tips. I'm in Belfast until May 2017 but will definitely take a look at the two suggestions when I get back. I only really embraced photography since I've been over in N. Ireland, so really looking forward to my return to England to 'discover' my own back yard kind of thing. :)

Back