?Falcon ID?

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
And I'm afraid it's from a slightly vague description rather than a photo... Sorry!

A bit larger than a kestrel but seemed to hover like one. Slightly forked tail. Greyish brown with paler head. Southern Mediterranean - specifically Crete. Late afternoon, on its own.

Nod can you be specific about wing shape please... i'm no bloody help mate:LOL: lanner is similar to peregine, a bit bigger than kez

I'd lay a bet most raptors can hoover we don't always see it but I'd lay a bet with their flying abilities they can hover

I watched days back as a buzz effortlessly hovered by the side of a road near Burford , just stunning to see...... absolutely nailed to one spot in the air .it messed with my brain because what it was doing was a carbon copy of Kez hunting a road side verge,ha but it was utterly a buzzard o_O

Kites have forked tails:) Lets envoke @Cobra he'll help ya out:D I can only ponder the start of a search the first thing I'd look at would be wing shape and how they move fly second tail third colour but if you could pin down type ....ie falcon kite hawk from those things and then search BOP in Crete I feel you would be in with a shout of an ID

but Chris will just say it's one of those.....
no pressure Chris LMAO:LOL:

stu

Although a lot of BoP's will hover, the Kestrel is the undoubted king.
I'll take a stab ( going on your description)
At a red footed falcon. ( and yes they do / can also hover)
Pretty much as Jerry said, when birds are moulting ( now) the center decks are the first feathers to drop.

edit still typing while Stuart was posting.

edit edit Female.
Males are generally a lot darker. grey / through black, females are more like Kessie / female Lanner colours

30766306003_01803333d6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all responders.

Hadn't thought of missing tail feathers - seems a likely explanation. Habitat was over freshly cleared scrub and Olive "orchard" in suburbia near the sea.

My first thought was Kestrel but it was too big, then Eleanora's Falcon but it was a bit early (and it was on its own - there is a flock of EFs that "patrol" the area around sunset). Definitely not a Buzzard - there was one around at the same time (resident about 150m from our balcony and VERY vocal!)

Not a twitcher but interested so will note it as a possible Red Footed Falcon, probably female with a missing tail feather or 2.

Red-footed falcon a good call........ possibly on migration....? But is smaller than kestrel.

Unless you have a good comparison (eg there was a bird of known species nearby) size is often difficult to judge.

Many years ago while doing a bird survey I watched a bird I identified as a sparrowhawk hovering long and successfully. So either my original id was wrong or sparrowhawks can hover .......

Buzzards are known hoverers and often do here in Wales. Rough-legged buzzards definitely hover though I've never seen one......

Last edited:
Following Stu's advice, I found a Raptors Of Crete list (with photos) and the RFF was listed.

As you say, size is hard to judge without a reference - it appeared bigger than the Buzzard that was way beyond it (shades of Father Dougal!!!)

Red-footed falcon a good call........ possibly on migration....? But is smaller than kestrel.
The trouble is of course its hard to tell the size of a bird in the air ;) And of course it might have been a Kessie after all ;)

Many years ago while doing a bird survey I watched a bird I identified as a sparrowhawk hovering long and successfully. So either my original id was wrong or sparrowhawks can hover
Having owned and flown 2 Spars I can assure you they can and do hover (y)

I've never seen a spar or musket hover Chris,by the same token I am utterly not surprised(as above). Nice to have the actual I've seen that with my own eye's add in , thank you!!

:)

From your description, I'd say it sounds a lot like a Black Kite (Milvus migrans)

Possible, although the tail fork looked deeper. Wings were also more falcon like (sickle shaped) than kite/buzzard.

I'd say it sounds a lot like a Black Kite (Milvus migrans)
I think even @Nod would know the difference between slightly larger and double the size :)

Black kite wingspan 130–155 cm (51–60 in),
Kestrel wingspan of 65–82 cm (26–32 in)

Bigger difference in wing shape. Size is hard to judge without direct comparisons but outline is relatively easy.

Back