Fallen in love with the Lakes

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Well went to the lakes for the 1st time (as an adult) and fallen in love with the place and can’t wait to get back to take more photos. Primarily there with the missus for a weekend away staying in Ambleside so didn’t really get chance to go for any decent walks and weather wasn’t the best so did my best stopping the car every 2 mins to take a photo or two!

So here’s I’ve edited so far so let me know what you think.

8138008080_0e6dd7497a_c.jpg

8138007540_04f7a50c36_c.jpg

8137976375_0625293b16_c.jpg

8137975635_cd9eac10ac_c.jpg

8137974889_846a1cccf6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more. Also please can anyone let me know what the waterfall/river is called on these two, i thought this was Buttermere but now think its a different lake.

8138005316_8b7505f3f2_c.jpg

8138004964_383ef9a5bd_c.jpg

Last edited:
Hiya Simon,

Wow, great set of shots there. Indeed the Lakes is an awesome place, I was up there 2 weeks ago and absolutely love the place too.

Well done on the photos, all are great, and I especially like the b&w pics.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Simon,

Wow, great set of shots there. Indeed the Lakes is an awesome place, I was up there 2 weeks ago and absolutely love the place too.

Well done on the photos, all are great, and I especially like the b&w pics.

Cheers

Thanks, Well i didn't realise i was only about 90 mins away from Bowness on Windemere so i will be there a lot more from now on either on my own or take the missus and dump her in a spa somewhere so i can get on with some proper exploring! :D

Very nice set of travelogue shots, the colour one are excellent as are the monochromes. I particularly like the 'Little Langdale Ambleside' sign one. Looks like a grand trip you had!

Last edited:
Thanks, Well i didn't realise i was only about 90 mins away from Bowness on Windemere so i will be there a lot more from now on either on my own or take the missus and dump her in a spa somewhere so i can get on with some proper exploring! :D

The beauty about the Lake District is that you don't have to venture too far for some great togging, and before you know it, you find you have travelled or walked miles :LOL:

Some of my favourite places, including Bowness on Windemere (which I find much nicer that Lake Windemere itself which can be very busy with visitors), are Ullswater, Hawkshead, Castlerigg and Keswick. The Eden Valley is also a beautiful spot with loads of places to visit like Shap, Orton, Appleby, there is a lovely little waterfall called Rutters Falls that is beautiful with an old watermill. Infact you can hire the cottages there, which look quite quaint and a place I wouldn't mind stopping at some time in the future.

Once the Lake's bug bites there is no stopping you from going back more often, and I see from your location that you are only down the drag from the Lakes too. So no excuses not to visit there more often :D.

Look forward to seeing more of the photos you take on your future visits there.

Cheers

Lovely set Simon

The Lakes takes some beating
About your query ..It looks to me like you are on Buttermere
if that's the case the waterfall is Sourmilk gill.

Thanks for the feedback guys

@drodd, cheers for the tips i will look into these places

@noah1, I'm sure it was Buttermere and looked online for any waterfalls next to it of which it came up with sourmilk but wasnt sure as my photos look nothing like what i can see online of it.

Thanks for the feedback guys

@drodd, cheers for the tips i will look into these places

@noah1, I'm sure it was Buttermere and looked online for any waterfalls next to it of which it came up with sourmilk but wasnt sure as my photos look nothing like what i can see online of it.

Does this look familiar to you

Its a throw away shot taken from behind the chapel in Buttermere
but the beck you can see (mid left) coming off the high stile range
is Sourmilk gill.

Buttermere by Noah137, on Flickr

I prefer the B&W shots myself
That is comb beck the falls have no name.

You have some great captures there. Love the one with the sign in black and white.

The picture in question was taken from near Hassness near to the eastern end of Buttermere. The Falls are indeed Comb Beck falling out of Burtness Comb. They have no specific name because in the greater scheme of things these are relatively small falls, and only come into spate after regular rain. Usually this is just a small stream, of no real significance.

You can nearly always hear the various rivers falling from the High Stile ridge: the shape of the hills in some way amplifies the noise and projects it across the lake.

Did you go through the tunnel about half a mile towards Buttermere from where you were stood?

Give us a shout next time you are going, or better still organise a meet!!!

The picture in question was taken from near Hassness near to the eastern end of Buttermere. The Falls are indeed Comb Beck falling out of Burtness Comb. They have no specific name because in the greater scheme of things these are relatively small falls, and only come into spate after regular rain. Usually this is just a small stream, of no real significance.

You can nearly always hear the various rivers falling from the High Stile ridge: the shape of the hills in some way amplifies the noise and projects it across the lake.

Did you go through the tunnel about half a mile towards Buttermere from where you were stood?

Give us a shout next time you are going, or better still organise a meet!!!

That’s some great info thanks,

We came from Kendal on a single track road where we ended up in the clouds (brill) into Buttermere then turned left onto the Honnister Pass back to Kendal. I don’t remember going through a tunnel. Have a missed something amazing there?

Think you mean Keswick rather than Kendal. Sounds like you went down Newlands Valley and over Newlands Hause for your cloudy bit. Never heard it called singletrack before, except by drivers of Chelsea tractors who struggle on anything narrower than M6!!!

Tunnel is a foot tunnel by the side of the lake. Has, or had, a geocache inside it. Challenging as it's dark and there's no GPS signal. Some photos here:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...kOqii0QW75YGwDQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=886

Think you mean Keswick rather than Kendal. Sounds like you went down Newlands Valley and over Newlands Hause for your cloudy bit. Never heard it called singletrack before, except by drivers of Chelsea tractors who struggle on anything narrower than M6!!!

Tunnel is a foot tunnel by the side of the lake. Has, or had, a geocache inside it. Challenging as it's dark and there's no GPS signal. Some photos here:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...kOqii0QW75YGwDQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=886

Sorry im getting all mixed up now yup i meant keswick. This is the road we were on.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=54.547252,-3.248931&aq=&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=8.059533,19.226074&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&z=13

Seemed pretty narrow to me, maybe not single track but certainly a squeeze for 2 cars

Lovely shots there.
Going to The Lakes next year for the first time ever. So lloking forward to it.

Seemed pretty narrow to me, maybe not single track but certainly a squeeze for 2 cars

Did you have a queu of traffic behind you.

As for the falls they are not usually that visible but has rained a lot recently.

alfbranch said:
Did you have a queu of traffic behind you.

As for the falls they are not usually that visible but has rained a lot recently.

Haha no I was hammering it in my 1.2! Even managed to make the Missus feel car sick a couple of times haha. Love those roads could drive on them all day!

Nice set of images there!:clap:

I went for the first time in my life in April this year and can't wait for when i get chance to return!:love:

I'm 170 miles away though!:bang:

Beautiful set of shots. I think number 1 is my favourite. I used to visit the lakes quite often when my daughter lived in Kendal. Have not been for several years now since she moved.

Great series of images, ive not been the lakes for over 20years but we planning a trip to Scotland next year and think we may just have to stop over there on the way :)

Back