Fallow Deer,Red Deer New Forest,Upate13-10-12 Rut

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
One from today,and below a Stag from last weekend.Hopefully the rut will start soon,but no sign of it as yet.

Fallow Deer by sinky 911, on Flickr

Fallow Deer by sinky 911, on Flickr

Went down again on Saturday caught these chaps in a field near the rut area,but unfortunately a man and his dog were at the rut area so all the stags wandered of.

Stags at Dawn by sinky 911, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks guys,might venture out again this weekend,weather permitting.

Very nice. I have considered doing something similar but I dont think my lens really has the reach. I see yours were shot at 300mm did you crop the photos aswell ?

Thanks everyone,Dorset a 300mm lens will get you close enough with a bit of careful stalking,and that is the fun bit for me. So the shots you see are pretty much as took, cropped to tidy up.

good shots! Can I ask if you just 'wandered about a bit' to find them?!? There's a fair amount here but they are very nocturnal!

Darthchaffinch, i'm no expert on the subject but dusk or dawn seem to be the prime times to catch them,with a very silent approach and they usually spot you long before you spot them.

Had another trip over to the forest this evening and finally caught my first Red Stag. Unfortunately very little light so had to crank things up,and the back ground is a bit confusing around the antlers,but you have to grab the opportunities and get one in the can.

Red Stag by sinky 911, on Flickr

Back