Family of Curlews

Edit My Images
Yes
A lucky spot whilst driving over the moors to look for owls this evening.

First we saw what I'm presuming is the male, then spotted the female, thinking they must have a nest close by but then spotted some movement in the grass and saw the chick, what a cutie!
:D
All shot by the road side through an open car window. As I've said on flickr, they didn't in any way seem distressed by me hanging out the car window, taking a few shots

I could have the sexing of these the wrong way round, happy to be corrected if I have

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking :)

Curlew (M) by Phil D, on Flickr

Culew (F) by Phil D, on Flickr

Curlew Chick by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice natural captures Phil.

I am sure you are not even remotely as much of a threat to them as a dog walker, with rabid free roaming dog, or a clan of neon Lycra clad cyclists.

Thats a really good set Phil, nice one. In particular I like the low angle on the female, makes such a difference if you can somehow get to eye level. Nice timing on the chick too to get a clear head shot.

Mike

Nice natural captures Phil.

I am sure you are not even remotely as much of a threat to them as a dog walker, with rabid free roaming dog, or a clan of neon Lycra clad cyclists.

Cheers Stuart, you could well be right about the dog walkers, as for the lycra clad cyclists, they scare me never mind the birds! :D

Great find and lovely to see the chick :)

Thanks Roger

Very good shots, Phil.

Just clicked through to Flickr and had a look. Lovely and sharp!

Is that the Sigma C or S? Or the Tammy ?

Thanks Wez, its the 'C'........I'm still having problems up-loading to TP, they certainly look sharper to me on Flickr

Thats a really good set Phil, nice one. In particular I like the low angle on the female, makes such a difference if you can somehow get to eye level. Nice timing on the chick too to get a clear head shot.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I was just fortunate the female was stood on a mound, the male also on a small mound but down in a slight dip, neither birds moved much.

As for the chick, it was darting about quite a bit, I just rattled a few shots off and got lucky with the clear head shot :)

Back