Family Portraits

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Phil,

Nice moments captured, I like no 1 and 3. No 2 would have been better if you had captured your partner's face as opposed to just the legs. I know it is hard taking photos of kids.

Phil,

Nice moments captured, I like no 1 and 3. No 2 would have been better if you had captured your partner's face as opposed to just the legs. I know it is hard taking photos of kids.

Thankyou! I do have one with my partner in the frame, I just personally liked the focus on my daughter with that one. Thanks for your feedback, always appreciated!

Well done Phil, for a first time they are very good. Number 3 presses all the buttons for me. The black and white conversion adds "a little something" to the feel of the shot but with the 2 beautiful models that you have I'm sure that we'd all love to see it in full colour
Regards
NN

Very nice, my preference goes for 1 and 2, I like the colours and the expression which are out of the usual portrait and are full of life. Good job!

Well done Phil, for a first time they are very good. Number 3 presses all the buttons for me. The black and white conversion adds "a little something" to the feel of the shot but with the 2 beautiful models that you have I'm sure that we'd all love to see it in full colour
Regards
NN

Thankyou! I'm very lucky with my models!

Love 1 & 3. I like number 3 but personally would have preferred it without the intrusion of hair. Number 3 - if it was me, I would have crouched down half a foot, to get them higher in the frame and get the kid's foot all in.

That said they're cracking pics, capturing some great emotions and I'm probably picking nits!!

PS I'm a sucker for hats in pics - love this about them too!!

Edit. That should say : I like number 2 but personally would have preferred it without the intrusion of the hair.

Last edited:
Really love them too great colours and natural feel to them. Always handy being a photographer with a family[emoji16]

Love 1 & 3. I like number 3 but personally would have preferred it without the intrusion of hair. Number 3 - if it was me, I would have crouched down half a foot, to get them higher in the frame and get the kid's foot all in.

That said they're cracking pics, capturing some great emotions and I'm probably picking nits!!

PS I'm a sucker for hats in pics - love this about them too!!

Thanks very much! Feedback is always appreciated!

Would anyone suggest a little LED hotshoe mount like the Rotolight for portrait work? Perhaps when the day is a bit grey and bland...?

1&3 for me I agree with Sir SR just the little bit of a crouch to get the foot in frame but it's a wonderful start well done.:clap:

Beautiful pics Phil, all 3 would look fantastic as large portraits on your wall. My favourite is number 1, your little girls expression is so adorable in that one. I was a little distracted by the light on your partners skirt, I wonder if it could be worked on a little, or have a look at a crop, you'd lose some leg but it would make the faces the total focus.

I'm probably wrong - I'm new to portraiture and photography, but I'm enjoying trying different things and sometimes cropping an image that looks close to perfect can make it even better.

Keep at it - you have real talent, I wish I was taking pics like that :)

They're fab!

Would anyone suggest a little LED hotshoe mount like the Rotolight for portrait work? Perhaps when the day is a bit grey and bland...?

I'd try a white or silver reflector first - it'd be a bigger light souce and possible to get it further from the camera. And if that wasn't enough I'd use a cheapo speedlight with something like a roguewave flashbender if I couldn't get it off camera.

Ironically the best reflectors for managing one handed - Lastolite trigrip - are more expensive than cheapo speedlights like the Yongnuo 560IV.

They're fab!

I'd try a white or silver reflector first - it'd be a bigger light souce and possible to get it further from the camera. And if that wasn't enough I'd use a cheapo speedlight with something like a roguewave flashbender if I couldn't get it off camera.

Ironically the best reflectors for managing one handed - Lastolite trigrip - are more expensive than cheapo speedlights like the Yongnuo 560IV.

This!

I bought s cheapo reflector from Amazon (essentially s trigrip imitation) which is really easy to hold one handed. Less than a tenner, worth its weight in gold!

The rogue is a great compromise when you can't get it off camera. Also Can use it as a flag/snoot for studio work

This!

I bought s cheapo reflector from Amazon (essentially s trigrip imitation) which is really easy to hold one handed. Less than a tenner, worth its weight in gold!

What's your cheapo reflector? I tried some cheapo trigrip clones and they were too floppy for anything but a perfectly still day. The Lastolite one has a really stiff handle and a steel band round the edge.

What a great set of images, number 3 is top draw. Memories to treasure, well done mate.

Back