Critique Family Session

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Hi

Firstly well done for getting parents to like the pics and being brave enough to put them up here for crit. It's a good start! All comments are designed to help improve and not a personal snipe! Feel free to ignore the following!

Nothing wrong with using natural light. If possible try to utilise the light to make it interesting. Using reflectors/choosing particular positions to shoot from.

These look more like snapshots rather than paid for portraits IMHO. A couple of reasons why. Watch the backgrounds and distractions that draw the eye away from the subject.
The lighting is a bit flat in some or shadows too deep - might benefit from a reflector/shooting from a different angle.
Also the framing of some of the subjects - half of an arm/foot cropped off.

Loads to think about but carry on taking lots of shots and this will soon become automatic!!

Hope that helps

Shaheed

I appreciate what you're trying to achieve, but a portrait takes a bit more consideration than pointing a camera at a person.

As Shaheed said above, these are closer to snaps than they are to portraits. To take a photograph requires consideration of the light and the environment. People's homes need smart manipulation to get a result, have you heard Jeff Ascough talk about finding the light then waiting for the image to happen in it? Well most of us would find the light then put a little effort into ensuring something happens in it.
1, 2, and 3 the lighting is flat, 4 is half lit, it needs a reflector or moving away from the window (inverse square law) or just a different angle from the light source. 5 looks like you used a reflector to improve on 4, but it's a bit unnatural looking.

I appreciate you're using natural light, but you should study lighting.

There's a moment in image1, but you didn't quite catch it, the parents will love these, but you couldn't use them to sell a similar service, they're a start, but that's about it.

i like them the way there are all very relaxed and natural looking
everyone seems to want clinical clean perfect pictures nowadays

i like them the way there are all very relaxed and natural looking
everyone seems to want clinical clean perfect pictures nowadays
If someone had posted these as a 'here's the wife and kids' shoot, I'd agree with you. But you might have missed the point:
Would you pay for them? More importantly, would you hire someone to provide something similar for you?

If someone had posted these as a 'here's the wife and kids' shoot, I'd agree with you. But you might have missed the point:
Would you pay for them? More importantly, would you hire someone to provide something similar for you?

as 99% of people on the forum or in this country are not professional's
yes i would pay for them
yes i would hire for similar shots
as im not a pro i cannot see all the faults the pros harp on about

as 99% of people on the forum or in this country are not professional's
yes i would pay for them
yes i would hire for similar shots
as im not a pro i cannot see all the faults the pros harp on about
Well that told me!

The whole world of professional photography has clearly been getting it wrong for such a long time. Which is odd, as most of the time pro's are told by non-pro's that the reason the industry is dying on it's arse is because Pro's aren't producing stuff a decent amateur could. All they have to do to succeed is to be better.

But now you're telling me that they don't even have to be average to be able to sell work.

Well that told me!
But now you're telling me that they don't even have to be average to be able to sell work.

i was'nt trying to tell you Phil only saying its how i see things
But you got it in 1 with your observation above
have you not seen how low a price and quality of the pics that some pro's produce there not even as good as the pics above

have you not seen how low a price and quality of the pics that some pro's produce there not even as good as the pics above
The OP is aiming for a high end market (you probably missed the other thread), it's not in my personality to give detailed critique on people's 'snaps' but I will sometimes comment on Pro's work. On this occasion, the results are so far away from what the OP is 'aiming for' that I felt my comments were appropriate. I do occasionally compliment those who aren't pro's but create great images, like Shaheed who's work is amazing. But I've fallen foul of some sensitive souls in the past with my blunt comments (which were 100% justified), so I tend not to critique amateurs posts.

I very much like these images too.

I think the point you make is valid, there are pros and then there are pros with regard to results!

Not qualified to comment on lighting ect, but the subjects have a wonderful natural look, I am partial to B&W.

The OP is aiming for a high end market (you probably missed the other thread), it's not in my personality to give detailed critique on people's 'snaps' but I will sometimes comment on Pro's work. On this occasion, the results are so far away from what the OP is 'aiming for' that I felt my comments were appropriate. I do occasionally compliment those who aren't pro's but create great images, like Shaheed who's work is amazing. But I've fallen foul of some sensitive souls in the past with my blunt comments (which were 100% justified), so I tend not to critique amateurs posts.

I wasn't going to reply but having just read the other thread and seen what you're aiming for I'm not going to pick each image apart; I thought a few suggestions might be useful. Remember, I'm an amateur and in many ways still a novice, though I've had the odd bit of training here and there. I can work up an opinion about anything though!

Please do excuse the direct tone; I am genuinely trying to help you get in to your proposed niche high-end market and make a success of your business.

You've got the exposure & focusing spot on. The framing's ok, and the images do largely look very natural.

However...

I know you want to employ a minimum of direction but there is a huge range between directing someone into a formal pose and just snapping whatever they happen to be doing. I think you could benefit from some training in creating those ‘moments’ in a relaxed and natural way. I’d put it more strongly than that in fact, you need some training to get anywhere near your proposed high end market.

You need to learn how to critique your own work; you’re letting too much low grade stuff through. Watch some of Zack Arias’ online critique videos, perhaps. Even then it’s still a big step from being able to critique after the event to being able to do so before releasing the shutter.

edit: I've just deleted some more stuff, if I go on too long then it'll appear overly harsh. The two points above in conjunction with the other's comments are plenty to be going on with.

hth!

Back