Beginner Family Wedding

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
My mother in law decided to get married to her long term partner on Friday and after recovering from my massive hangover, I got to work processing some of the shots I took. Here are a couple I am quite happy with so thought I would share.

I know a lot of people don't like selective colour, but its something I've never done so wanted to give it a go. My own reflections of this are:
The face and hair of my niece should be slightly lighter and the shadows of the people on the floor at the top need to be lighted out.
Her feet need some more work, maybe being a little lighter and sort the shadows out.

The next shot is the bride and her eldest son. My reflections on this are:
I don't like the drainpipe on the church above his head.
The bouquet needs to be cropped out
Her son's jacket should have been undone as its puffing out.

Anyway, feel free to comment, critique, provide pointers etc as its how I've learned everything else so far.

Girl Blowing bubbles by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Mother and Son by Forsyth1987, on Flickr

Rob, this is my first ever critique and I have never shot a wedding so please bear with me
Shot 1 I like the selective colour, and it is a lovely picture of the little girl. IMVHO I think it could do with a little more space on the left hand side, whatever the technical term is, and there seems to be some shadow/overspray of colour on the young ladies left hand front.

Number 2 is also well lit but I have a thing about 'creepy hands' The grooms right hand on her shoulder would have been better if it was lower on her back (not seen) and may have stopped some of the bagging. As it is in very soft focus I would personally not stress too much over the drainpipe. I also like the non eye contact of the couple otherwise many of these shots look like mug shots.

I hope that you are not upset by my comments - no doubt an expert will be along to correct us both.

Difficult to comment without seeing all the shots but when photographing children I always try to get down to their level unless there is a good reason not to.

On the other one it's the kind of shot that I'm certain the couple will love so don't worry too much about the other things as they are simply not noticeable enough to detract from the photo.

Thanks for your comments. I don't think I would ever want to do wedding shots as a job. I feel under pressure just taking snaps as and when I wanted to with them knowing I like photography (so they will have at least some expectations), let alone being expected to produce brilliant shots.

I will have a play with the scene extender on photoshop as it was cropped like this when I took the photo as she refused to stand still. I'll also look at her hands. Its her belt which causes the effect but I shall de-saturate that area and hopefully improve it.

Karen will be impressed that someone thought she was young / good looking enough / cougar etc to think her son was her husband :). I'm not the best at the heal tool but I will see what I can do with the hands.

Last edited:
Can't add anyhting but would suggest leaving the hand in now but try and remember for future ref. :)

Gaz

I am sure they will be delighted with the shots, don't fret too much over the technicalities.

(ok, I was taught that hands are best hidden, and selective colour is seen as a no no, these days due to it being overused in the past, but hey ho, this is not a competition judge commenting, it is the family and they are going to have different criteria).

Last edited:
Oh dear ... you do know that a lovely little kitten dies every time somebody somewhere does spot colour?

Be that as it may, speaking as a retired pro wedding snapper, what would have made the biggest difference in the first shot is getting down to her level. And all that's wrong with the second is that you didn't re-compose after you focussed so that you got the bouquet in. Apart from that it's fine AFAIC. The jacket thing is par for the course, and neither that nor the hand bothers me at all because (a) you caught the moment, (b) this isn't a posed shot so "the rules" don't apply to it and (c) in any case there's just enough of his hand visible for it not to be classic "creeping digits".

I wouldn't bugger about with them. They're just fine as they are :)

Oh dear ... you do know that a lovely little kitten dies every time somebody somewhere does spot colour?

Sorry little kitten, I just couldn't help myself ;)

Thanks for the comments guys. Its nice to see you aren't ripping them to pieces (or at least refraining) so I am clearly improving on my very first shots and i have added your comments to my pile of hints and tips for when I am next taking photos of people (I prefer animals and buildings by choice)

The professional will no doubt be delivering his lot in a few weeks so I can see and compare against mine.

Back