Fantasy Motorsport Photographer Challenge

Name
Vlad
Edit My Images
Yes
(I know this might be in the wrong place Gary but can you leave it for a little while so people spot it)

We had a go at a bit of a challenge last year but it didn't work out last time, so lets have another go.

Right, imagine I'm your picture editor and you are on a job for me.

I want an image to go with my story about one or both of the following:

1) Matt Jackson, Airwaves Racing, BTCC Brands Hatch April 3rd.

and/or

2) Tommy Hill, Swan Yamaha, BSB Brands Hatch April 25th.

Two events, two different types of racing, two different weekends.

Post just one photo, your best photo of the subject in a setting that conveys what the race was about and shows either something clearly "Brands Hatch" or shows fans enjoying their hero. If the subject wins, perhaps show winning. If they crash and thats the story, show the crash or them looking sad or something - be inventive!

The picture needs to have a short caption because your picture editor doesn't know anything about motorsport.

So, not just any old photo, but those particular racers and something about the story. Remember the photo doesn't need to be the best technical photo in the world, it has to do the job of telling the story - so this is a level playing field for anyone who wants to play :wave:

As your evil picture editor, your photo for the story needs to be in this thread by 1000hrs BST on the morning after the race. :bat:

Accept your mission by stating that you are up for it, which race you are "covering" and your "job application" must be on the thread by mid day on the Friday before the event. Once entered you are "on the job".

I'll post a light-hearted review of your performance after each deadline has passed.

Remember its just for a laugh, just to give you a feel for what its like to do this for a job.

Feeling the pressure yet? :help:

Count me in for the BSB and will try to take part in the BTC one if i can but may be going to the Redbull Nats at Armthorpe on Sunday as i am a bigger fan of bikes than cars to be honest.

Will sign up nearer the time as per your post Mr Desantnik (y)

Good man!

Was getting worried that the proposition was too hardcore and that I'd not get any takers...

Roll up! Roll up! :nuts:

I'll let you use one from any point over the weekend as long as it fits the criteria above - ie you don't need the winner with the chequered flag for example, just think about relevance.

Great idea (y) hope to be attending at least one :) dont always fancy the crush on race day,so thanks for widening the goalposts.....(y)
Clive

Brilliant idea!

Unfortunately I won't be at either event, but will be 'watching' this unfold with interest.

Cheers

Rob

Nice one Graham (y)

I better start some revision being a bike nut as have not got a clue who Matt Jackson is or what he looks like :thinking: so god knows who's picture I may turn up with at the end of Sunday :D

Nice one Graham (y)

I better start some revision being a bike nut as have not got a clue who Matt Jackson is or what he looks like :thinking: so god knows who's picture I may turn up with at the end of Sunday :D

Lets hope you right on that Glen. Actually looking forward to this, a shame I can't do the BTCC round this weekend. Day job getting in the way.
I we should change the Blzeebub motto to "apparently they have put a devil inside me" to describe Andy for this challenge:D

Still I have plan B ready - bump into you at the end of the weekend so I can swap memory cards - its just plan A im struggling with;)

Excellent, I can see this is playing out quite realistic so far... you aren't the first to be nudging a mate going "so which bloody one is XYZ then?" whilst busily snapping everything in the hope that you work it out before the copy deadline :D

Well done guys :D

Only 26.5 hours to get your "application" for BTCC in...

I'm up for this. Mat Jackson it is. I'll have a word on Saturday and make sure he knows where I am for crashing purposes :D

But I reckon Chilton's a more likely candidate for a big off. Useless at managing his tyre wear, and those heavier turbos are going to be caning the fronts.

Good man! If you can get Chilton and Jackson crashing into each other... :D

I'm hoping to attend the BTCC this weekend, so will throw my hat in the ring for this as well on the basis I may get there. Poor excuse for not getting there as I can sometimes hear the cars from home on a noisy meet.....

Good man!

You'll hear these new NGTC powered cars alright - they sound like proper racing cars!

Saturday only at Brands for me,so thats my application in....:)
Clive.

None from me for the BTCC now, car's died about 2 miles into the journey. Sorry picture editor. :LOL:

Could only do Saturday qualifying...
Found it a challenge (a good one) to get anything a bit different from the public side,Mat managed to keep it on the blackstuff :) so no off pics...
I'm not one for staying in the same spot for long,so that helps in constantly looking for a different shot..
I hope my shot is a bit different,but probably has been done many times.

To the picture editor.....
"Mat Jackson powers up Hailwood Hill under the Brands bridge on his way to a 6th place in qualifying"
IMG_8944a_filtered.jpg

Thanks Clive.

Last edited:
No real time to sort through them properly due to the bloody editor and his deadlines ;)

This'll have to do... Jackson rounds off a good weekend by taking his second podium of the day in race 3, narrowly losing out to Matt Neal:

5588197492_111c7b7710_z.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, I've just been looking at the official BTCC site. On their story summing up race 3 they've got a near identical image to the one above - just taken from a different angle :D

Last edited:
I'm afraid I had to duck out due to pressure from the boss...... (decorating) but hope to be going to the next one.

A great idea. Shame that there's only two taken up the challenge for the BTCC. I hope you have more takers for the BSB.......

Firstly, sorry for the slow response. Had a bit of a mad week so far and I wish it was just "photography mad" :bang:

I'll hopefully give you one for the BTCC round.

None from me for the BTCC now, car's died about 2 miles into the journey. Sorry picture editor. :LOL:

In the words of Alan Sugar, YOU'RE FIRED! :bat:

I'm afraid I had to duck out due to pressure from the boss...... (decorating) but hope to be going to the next one.

YOU'RE FIRED! Too... (y)

In all seriousness, this does illustrate the reality of committing to cover something as a part timer then finding that life gets in the way. That's all it takes to loose your publication's support too.

Obviously this is only for fun, but hope to get across some of the grief that the lifestyle many on here desire

Could only do Saturday qualifying...
Found it a challenge (a good one) to get anything a bit different from the public side,Mat managed to keep it on the blackstuff :) so no off pics...
I'm not one for staying in the same spot for long,so that helps in constantly looking for a different shot..
I hope my shot is a bit different,but probably has been done many times.

To the picture editor.....
"Mat Jackson powers up Hailwood Hill under the Brands bridge on his way to a 6th place in qualifying"
IMG_8944a_filtered.jpg

Excellent, thank you. Nice load of space for the headline to fit into the space there (something few consider, but newspapers love dead space to use, if us photographers remember to give it to them)

No real time to sort through them properly due to the bloody editor and his deadlines ;)

This'll have to do... Jackson rounds off a good weekend by taking his second podium of the day in race 3, narrowly losing out to Matt Neal:

5588197492_111c7b7710_z.jpg

Spot on!

Flag, two cars vying right the way to the line, caption correct.

What others might notice here is that both photos aren't ones that would attract TP acclaim, but they both fit the brief and would both be suitable for the publications I've worked for.

Good work both of you, the cheque is errrrm in the post :shrug:

Anyhow, lets carry on, onward and upward to BSB!

I understand where you are coming from - but the reality of covering things freelance and going as a spectator are somewhat different, even where she who must be obeyed is concerned :D:D:D:D:D.

I will try and get down for the BSB meet, its over 4 days so i must get one off for good behaviour

Blimey Graham ;)

OK here is my official application for BSB, looking forward to a couple of days at Brands and a chance to try out my new purchase :naughty:

Thanks for the feedback (y) and I enjoyed taking part :)
Will also be submiting an entry for BSB (y)
Clive.

Ok, just a quick reminder about this one..

Your objective for next weekend is:

2) Tommy Hill, Swan Yamaha, BSB Brands Hatch April 25th.

Post just one photo, your best photo of the subject in a setting that conveys what the race was about and shows either something clearly "Brands Hatch" or shows fans enjoying their hero. If the subject wins, perhaps show winning. If they crash and thats the story, show the crash or them looking sad or something - be inventive!

The picture needs to have a short caption because your picture editor doesn't know anything about motorsport.

So, not just any old photo, but those particular racers and something about the story. Remember the photo doesn't need to be the best technical photo in the world, it has to do the job of telling the story - so this is a level playing field for anyone who wants to play

As your evil picture editor, your photo for the story needs to be in this thread by 1000hrs BST on the morning after the race. Although this time, because of the bank holiday weekend and the hassle I know you all will get, I'll extend that to 2200hrs Tuesday night (btw my real deadline is still 1100hrs on Tuesday :()

Accept your mission by stating that you are up for it, which race you are "covering" and your "job application" must be on the thread by mid day on the Friday before the event. Once entered you are "on the job".

So far we've got in play:

Yamahatdm900 (Graham)
Gadget-Guy (Glen)
Coopers (Clive)

Please, add your name to play :)

I'll post a light-hearted review of your performance after each deadline has passed.

Remember its just for a laugh, just to give you a feel for what its like to do this for a job.

No, nothing ooop north yet... mainly because the two season openers were darrrn saaarff.

So maybe later in the year (y)

And so it begins... I actually caught Steve (spcomp) staking out Tommy Hill when I got there today!

The gauntlet it seems is well and truly down 8)

Back