fashion shoot ive been working on...

Name
Will Ainsworth
Edit My Images
No
Well here is a few images (ill be adding more as i edit them) from a shoot I have been putting together for a month or two now. First time ive really spent alot of time planning, and if im honest my first 'real' Fashion shoot using a team.

Ill go into a bit of detail instead of my usual way of just posting pics...

Team:
Myself - Photographer,
1x assistant for lighting, 1x Makeup artist, 1x male model, 1x female model, 1x stylist.

Plan was to shoot a project for uni, i wanted to base it on fashion, in the winter season, showing a couple. its based quite alot on the mario testino burberry campaign winter 2008

I managed to get hold of clothing from julien macdonald a designer i have worked for at fashion week for the last few years. hes one of the a list designers i guess you could say, so it was a privilege for me!

The female model is also the face of Paul Smith amongst other things, and she is juliens inhouse model, so the clothing fitted perfectly as they have been designed around her.

Location: battersea park, had to get appropriate licenses and permissions, including public liability of over 5 million gbp. (must of thought i would blow the place up, how anyone can do that much damage is beyond me!

lighting: sun to left big reflector to right and 120cm octobox to the right quite frontal.

equipment: canon 5dmk2, 24-70 2.8 lens, manfrotto tripod, bessel octobox, bowens travelpak and 500pro head. cactus v5 transmitters, tethered to macbook pro.

anyway really enjoyed it. and here is some of the images i have edited so far.
(y)

6704444595_393d7382fb_b.jpg

6705522499_2b8f15b4db_b.jpg

6712753719_d4ca5351d8_b.jpg

6718223227_e553b3c580_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think they are nice pictures, but a little washed out for fashion. But I'm old so I guess it's not for me.

poses look a little wooden, could do with being a bit more relaxed IMHO

Actually, I quite like the poses...they suit the female model definitely, perhaps less so the male model.

The bright sun seems to eat into the faces a little bit...

I agree, perhaps underexpose the background by another 1/2 a stop and it'd be perfect. The last one is closest to working for me, as the models are well lit but you still get that low winter sunshine sort of effect, which I guess is what you were going for?

I like them the last two are winners for me, could see them on the inside cover of 'architecture digest' or some other stupidly expensive mag for rich people (which i buy a few months out of date at the charity shop) advertising a watch or scarf worth a few bob :p

The blown background look is not really for me I must say. I don't think the female model is doing you any favours with the posing and sleepy look.

Must have been a good learning experience getting permits organising everything etc. Well done on getting through it all.

I think they're good photographs :) I like the first and third ones the best. I'm really not keen on the woman's pose in the last photograph though, I don't know what it is, she just looks a bit out of it. I do like the rest of her poses though!

But, if you're looking at vogue style shots then that's the common pose! Sort of "out of it"...

Yeh I know what you mean, but it's just that last photo that I'm not too keen on. She doesn't look as powerful as she does in the others :)

Actually, I disagree. I think the pose in the last shot is the most powerful for me, and it's the male model that weakens the shot. Personal preference though eh?

Still, it'd be nice to see how they'd have looked with a little tweaking...

I'd bring up the models more; make them stand out even more from the background.

Can't really make out the detail in the clothing...which was the whole point of the shoot wasn't it?

I have to declare that they are not my cup of tea, sorry.

Are they done at 24mm. The distortions of their bodies and their faces are rather staggering. This sort of thing deserves the good old 85mm or 135mm to be honest. I have to agree about the overexposed and very busy looking background too.

Nobody has picked up on this...(or mentioned at least)...but your key light is not strong enough and hence the blacks are way too underexposed...

It's not a lot of use displaying garments you can't see :)

Overall...I dislike that I like them if that makes any sense. I think they are a bit of for a top fasion shoot and really could have benefited from proper exposere and more relaxed poses. The woman does look like she's on drugs (which contrary to the above comment they are not supposed to...) they should look confident without "give me some more drugs"

I do like them though, I love the style...just needs slight tweaking on exposure and poses!

The last one has the makings of a brilliant image, for me the woman's pose let's it down.

Back