Fathers day Presents

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
My Eldest bought me a New Flash gun :) & my youngest got me a an octagon softbox :) So I had a play today , All shots were in manual mode
we only had an old dark blue blanket that we hang on the wardrobe door for a backdrop :-(

All shots should be cropped to 7x5 and straight out the camera apart from no 5, Be gentle as I'm get used to flash 2 out of 10 for effort :angelic:
1 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

2 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

3 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

4 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

5 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

6 by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi

A lovely present to get on Father's Day.

Sorry I am no expert but these are my thoughts. I like the composition and lighting/shadows but I think they are a bit under exposed.

If you shot these in raw and have lightroom you can add a bit more exposure and see what they look like.

Thanks

I shot both Raw & Jpg :) I Put them up without any PP to see if my process is correct / what needs to correcting before having to go down the PP route,

I'm lucky engough to have LR,PS,PPS & DXO

Cool, give it a bit for the experts to comment on before making any changes.

I can still not get it correct in camera. Looks fine on the camera LCD but on the screen they are under exposed. [emoji16]

Would be nice pics if exposed properly.. i would guess two thirds under....

Right I think I know what I'm looking for now and as suggested increased by 2/3 and compared like for like on all 6 and have uploaded on to Flickr as
a 1 & 1b ,2 & 2b ect

https://www.flickr.com/photos/splafferty/sets/72157654452291369

Edit
I used the the new flash in the Octagon at about 30deg Size of the room :) @ 1/6.5 >1/8 power & used
the pop up on 1/128 to trigger the the other.

Last edited:
Just had a look on Flickr at 1b and think it still need a bit more exposure.

For some reason I feel when taking pics of kids you need an extra bit of exposure compared to adults.

To me they look to over cooked :( the bottom one more so, I just noticed that when I imported into LR it was automatically adjusting tone, which was throwing me as in photshop & faststone I was getting
a different exposure.
this is 4C
4c by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Definitley under exposed but all is not lost if you have the raw files as you'll be surprised at what you can pull back. That last edit you posted up is much better and much more like it :) and you are right in saying that Chris edits unfortunatley look over cooked.

If you are new to flash then perhaps you should give TTL a go, it'll get you there most of the time and you can use FEC to dial it up or down to taste. Build up your flash knowledge/experience and use manual when needed.

Last edited:
The 2nd edit of mine will be as I did a little portraiture work on it.
First one is just basic Auto Tone etc in Photoshop.

4C is not far off.

Yep like 4c don't give up keep trying. Also might be worth investing in some triggers if you do not want to use your pop up flash to trigger the other flash.

If you are new to flash then perhaps you should give TTL a go, it'll get you there most of the time and you can use FEC to dial it up or down to taste. Build up your flash knowledge/experience and use manual when needed.

That's the strange thing I tried TTL ( off Flash) but it was well under exposed ?? that why I was using manual ,( on camera TTL it works fine)
version 3c
3c by Shaun Lafferty, on Flickr

Yep like 4c don't give up keep trying. Also might be worth investing in some triggers if you do not want to use your pop up flash to trigger the other flash.
Just learning the basics first before jumping right in :)

I have the pop up turned right down to 1/128 to operate the CSL on the D7200

Last edited:
Cool.

Looking at the pics on Flickr I cannot see any exif, have you removed it as part of the upload.

Hi, can I ask how far away the octa is and how big is it?

I thought you may have been using the onboard flash as a trigger as I can see the double catchlight.

I think your octa is probably too far away from your subject

Shaheed

Cool.

Looking at the pics on Flickr I cannot see any exif, have you removed it as part of the upload.
LR been playing around I normaly upload the EXIF

Hi, can I ask how far away the octa is and how big is it?

I thought you may have been using the onboard flash as a trigger as I can see the double catchlight.

I think your octa is probably too far away from your subject

Shaheed
Its a Phot-R Professional 80 cm Octagonal Umbrella Softbox with Carrying Bag for Camera - Black/Silver
It was about 2 -2.5m away and as high as I could get ( normal ceiling height) just behind my left shoulder
and the little one sitting on the far edge of the bed with the blue blanket 3/4 m behind

Last edited:
LR been playing around I normaly upload the EXIF

Its a Phot-R Professional 80 cm Octagonal Umbrella Softbox with Carrying Bag for Camera - Black/Silver
It was about 2 -2.5m away and as high as I could get ( normal ceiling height) just behinb my left shoulder
and little one sitting on the far edge of the bed with the blue blanket 3/4 m behind

IMHO I think it needed to be much closer, just out of shot. I presume the second catchlight in the pupil is the cls on board flash? I'd say it's worth experimenting, getting the light closer/softer.

S

Cool.

Ah just remembered why no EXIF data, I was using qDSLRDashboard ( Wifi Link) and instead of downloading from the card I just imported from the qDSLR Folder

IMHO I think it needed to be much closer, just out of shot. I presume the second catchlight in the pupil is the cls on board flash? I'd say it's worth experimenting, getting the light closer/softer.

S
I will try but like you cramped for space at the moment :) , & yes the second catchlight is the popup set to 1/128 power ( as low as it goes unless I divert the light with a bit of card )

are they on the right lines ?

I will try but like you cramped for space at the moment :) , & yes the second catchlight is the popup set to 1/128 power ( as low as it goes unless I divert the light with a bit of card )

are they on the right lines ?

You can set it to 0 (or "-") i think..

You can still work quite a lot of stuff in a cramped space - you're not getting the full benefit of the octa that far away - would be nice to see some round catchlights in the eye, but the octa is producing a similar catchlight to the pop up as it is so far away!

In TTL you can set -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 (in .3 steps)
In M you go 1/1.1/2,1/4/1/5 1/6.4 1/8 >1/128.

Next chance I get with the little one willing :) I get it as close as I can.

Last edited:
In TTL you can set -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 (in .3 steps)
In M you go 1/1.1/2,1/4/1/5 1/6.4 1/8 >1/128.

Next chance I get with the little one willing :) I get it as close as I can.
I've not used cls for a while but I thought you could put the pop up in commander mode and set the out put to zero.

When I tried using the flash on the camera I have similar issue, may be I did not set it up correctly. I have since tried the yn603 and the were better to use and are manual. Give the CLS system another go if no joy have a look at the yn603 if you are happy using manual or yn622 if you want ttl but are a bit expensive.

Thanks

Hadn't seen your post when I wrote it. At least there's no confusion for the OP. :)

It made me laugh out loud because I'm always trying to shoot around my softbox... I always find it's in the perfect spot when I have to contort and mold myself around it lol!

I'm pretty sure one of my fave pictures of Sophia is taken with this set up (not fave for any technical reason other than I like it). The reflector shown above was being held by Sophia and the 30x30cm softbox was just above her head. Cls trigger with the commander output set to 0 and the ir plate on. View attachment 40306 I didn't have a light meter and used ttl. Which I quickly changed to manual (via cls) as it was very inconsistent.

I put the pic up so you can look at the catchlights. In your pics they seem very small even though your octa is bigger. Get the lights in close!

Experiment and most of all have fun!!

Last edited:
Back