Favourite pictures from 2004?

S

Steve

Favourite pictures from 2004?

I have seen some great pictures in the member’s personal galleries since we opened the forums but I was wondering what is your favourite picture that you took in 2004? It doesn’t have to be the best technically just your favourite from last year. Post away but only one each and lets all have a look at the cream of our members crop. If you can add a few words as to why the picture is your favourite that would be great as well.

I suppose I better start and offer this shot which was taken on a photography day out in Anglesey. This day was great photography wise for me as I managed to attempt and capture some shots that I had been planning for a long time. This particular shot was one that couldn’t be “seen” while at the location due to it being a time exposure. I had to visualise the shot prior to shooting it and there was some guesswork involved with both the framing, time exposure of the shot and guessing how far each wave would come in and affect the final picture. This therefore gave me an extra sense of achievement when I saw the final results.

CRW_3751.jpg

Hope you like it as much as I do?

i think one of my better ones is this

woodchurchmill1.jpg

the reason being i took it with my Casio QVr40 and its one of the first that i really like a lot

Only one person has a favourite photo taken last year? :p

Come on guys lets see your photos!!!

Yours is WAY too good Steve. Great pic - I love it.

I hope you didn't arrange those stones. :wink:

thats definately not shabby is it Adrian!

All three aren't shabby IMHO. I've got no pics worth rating for 2004, but hopefully by the end of 2005 I'll have something to contribute

They're excellent, and IMO the photos taken on Anglesey by both Steve and Matt are certainly among the most memorable of last year.

Since I'm into oily things :shock: I'm rather fond of this one, although the bees came a close second!

wort1.jpg

Mine:
Not the greatest image I've ever taken, but taken under fire (yes, really) and it made the front page of the Guardian, so it was a landmark image for me in a way.

Rocket_Attack_Dogwood.jpg

interesting use of Sunbeams Silky!

Arkady, seen this one before but if think its great, your just showing with your newspaper name dropping, ive couted twise today!

Those are amazing photographs guys [smilie=t:
(and Adrian - thanks for my lighthouse fix :LOL: )

Well here is mine.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/effyman/Sunset-in-Ohio.jpg[/img]

It was taken somewhere in Ohio, on my way back to Buffalo from my friends Nashville wedding. It was just a spur of the moment thing...I was driving along, and much to the annoyance of my wife, I stopped along the highway for this one. She didn't want our 12 hour drive to be any longer than it absolutely had to be. I don't think she really understands :wink:

nice image!

EosD said:
interesting use of Sunbeams Silky!

Arkady, seen this one before but if think its great, your just showing with your newspaper name dropping, ive couted twise today!

Ooh! was that a dig, you cheeky bitch... :LOL:

This photo stands out as one of my favourites from 2004

formula-renault.jpg

thats great SDK, i like that

Arkady, how many you had used in the papers that you know of?

I think my fave image is of a Hurricane pilot I saw at Woodchurch airshow, I though he looked the part

Not sure whether I prefer the colour or B&W version
Biggles1.jpg

Biggles2.jpg

hehe, that was taken with my Fuji S7000, the 7D wasn't even out last August ;)

I edited my images, because I noticed they were over 700pixels, and then I put up the wrong images & had to do it again with the right ones :roll:

If you want to see more 7D images (of mine anyway), have a peek HERE

Just to prove that you can't please all of the people all of the time, I think the colour shot is great but the b/w loses it all. :shock:

The pilot's face stands out in colour, but is lost in the b/w. Similarly, all the detail around the cockpit and the helmet is there in colour but not in b/w.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of b/w (even if it is the new black), but to me this is an example of where colour adds a great deal to the photo, and b/w masks it. :wink:

I'm with silkstone, the colour shot works best for me. Not sure if i am imagining it, but the b/w shot looks softer and a little flatter to me.

Definitely the colour shot all the way for me.

One of my personal favourites from last year would be this.

St. Mary’s lighthouse, Whitley bay. Not only do I like the moody sky but the way the lighthouse to me stands out and gives depth and a real 3d feel. To add to this I also like the couple sitting lower right corner.

EosD said:
Arkady, how many you had used in the papers that you know of?

Too many to count now to be honest - my stuff goes out either through the HQ (Land) Picture Editor at Wilton, who is good enough to let me know when they get published, or through Directorate of Corporate Communications, Army (DCCA) in Whitehall, who don't tell me a thing.
I just found out that I had another spread in Combat and Survival magazine, of all things...
If only I got paid for all these, I'd be coining it big time, but as an Army Phot, I just get my normal pay. I also do not have copyright on anything taken on Operations :crying: .
We get a lot of stuff in the regional Press as well, which I never get to see: a lot of my Black Watch photos from Dogwood last november went into the Jock papers and were well recieved. I had lots of requests for hard copies from relatives who'd seen thier boys in the papers.

Back