Feather ID?

Edit My Images
Yes
Guinea fowl was my first thought too, but couldn't get much of an idea of scale from the photo. If it is, then it's a non-native UK species and is often kept for ornamental purposes or for food (they do taste rather nice - a bit like a small and very flavoursome roast chicken).

Being as light as a feather, literally, it could well have been blown there if you're not near to somewhere that may keep Guinea fowl. You'll probably know if you are, as they sound a bit like someone repeatedly opening and closing a very rusty gate in the evening just before they go to roost. The feathers are quite popular with fishing fly tiers too.

Last edited:
Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Blimey.. neon tetra type guinea fowl! ;) Still, it's 100% better than the no photos I have of them, but more importantly, it shows the distinctively marked feathers very well too, so it gets a like from me there Toni. (y)
These were at Vic falls in Zimbabwe, but TBH I've seen them not 3 miles from where I'm sat in Somerton, and they looked like this only colder. ;)

That camera was also one of the reasons I've never considered Fuji gear. :wideyed:

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
These were at Vic falls in Zimbabwe, but TBH I've seen them not 3 miles from where I'm sat in Somerton, and they looked like this only colder. ;)

That camera was also one of the reasons I've never considered Fuji gear. :wideyed:
My first digital camera was a 1.5 megapixel Fuji MX 500 compact I bought from Dixons in the sale the day after Boxing Day in 1999 to use for work, and just to test the water in case digital cameras caught on!

Coincidentally, I bought a 10mp Fuji Finepix S2000 from a charity shop in full working order for £16 a couple of months ago, once again to use for work (mainly as at that price it won't matter if it gets dropped or drowned!). It's got a handy enough 28-400mm equivalent zoom range and a reasonable built-in flash and the photos from it are good enough for inclusion in PDF type reports. So I suppose it's horses for courses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jelster
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a couple of other people suggest it was Guinea Fowl too. I see lot's of Pheasants & Partridges locally, so maybe one of the farms have GF as well.