Feather ID?

Found this in the garden, and can't really place it...

Feather by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Anyone have any idea what it's from?
Cannot suggest anything but it might help those with more knowledge If you could give its size???

Last edited:
It would also help if we knew the location of your garden.

Guinea fowl was my first thought too, but couldn't get much of an idea of scale from the photo. If it is, then it's a non-native UK species and is often kept for ornamental purposes or for food (they do taste rather nice - a bit like a small and very flavoursome roast chicken).

Being as light as a feather, literally, it could well have been blown there if you're not near to somewhere that may keep Guinea fowl. You'll probably know if you are, as they sound a bit like someone repeatedly opening and closing a very rusty gate in the evening just before they go to roost. The feathers are quite popular with fishing fly tiers too.

Last edited:
Don't judge me for the image quality - it's what you get from a bridge camera before I better.

guinea fowl-2886.jpg

Last edited:
Blimey.. neon tetra type guinea fowl! ;) Still, it's 100% better than the no photos I have of them, but more importantly, it shows the distinctively marked feathers very well too, so it gets a like from me there Toni. (y)

These were at Vic falls in Zimbabwe, but TBH I've seen them not 3 miles from where I'm sat in Somerton, and they looked like this only colder. ;)

That camera was also one of the reasons I've never considered Fuji gear. :wideyed:

Last edited:
These were at Vic falls in Zimbabwe, but TBH I've seen them not 3 miles from where I'm sat in Somerton, and they looked like this only colder. ;)

That camera was also one of the reasons I've never considered Fuji gear. :wideyed:

My first digital camera was a 1.5 megapixel Fuji MX 500 compact I bought from Dixons in the sale the day after Boxing Day in 1999 to use for work, and just to test the water in case digital cameras caught on!

Coincidentally, I bought a 10mp Fuji Finepix S2000 from a charity shop in full working order for £16 a couple of months ago, once again to use for work (mainly as at that price it won't matter if it gets dropped or drowned!). It's got a handy enough 28-400mm equivalent zoom range and a reasonable built-in flash and the photos from it are good enough for inclusion in PDF type reports. So I suppose it's horses for courses.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of other people suggest it was Guinea Fowl too. I see lot's of Pheasants & Partridges locally, so maybe one of the farms have GF as well.

Back