February flowers

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
These were captured hand-held last month in our garden using a pair of Panasonic G80s, one with a 60mm macro and one with a 14-140. The raw files were batch processed in DXO PhotoLab with image-specific adjustments in Lightroom.

There are 1400 pixel high versions and EXIF data in this album at Flickr.

#1 Aquilegia

1304 31 60 macro P1190084_DxO LR7 1400h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

#2 Camellia

1304 10 14-140 P1010031_DxO LR7 1400h

#3 Camellia

1304 11 14-140 P1010031_DxO LR7 1400h-2

#4 Hellebore

1304 29 60 macro P1190036_DxO LR7 1400h

#5 Hebe

1304 12 14-140 P1010067_DxO LR7 1400h

#6 Camellia

1304 23 60 macro P1180825_DxO LR7 1400h

#7 Hellebore

1304 15 14-140 P1010105_DxO LR7 1400h

#8 Camellia

1304 22 60 macro P1180754_DxO LR7 1400h

Cool stuff… in February? :confused:
Do you have a greenhouse Nick?

Cool stuff…

Thanks Daniel.

in February? :confused:
Do you have a greenhouse Nick?

No. We are on the western edge of the country, which has a temperate, maritime climate (similar to British Columbia I believe). In addition, we are on a hillside 200m or so away from the Severn Estuary, which is about 8km wide where we are. This large body of water provides an additional boost to the local microclimate, making it very mild.

We still had a few flowers (sometimes just one on a given plant) in December (for example, 3 December and 20 December). The first of the Camellias came out in mid January (just two flowers as far as I recall, with a couple more a week later). The profuse flowering of the camellias happened later, although a lot of the flowers were destroyed by a couple of cold, snowy spells we had in the past several weeks.

Nice images Nick

Thanks.

...Not a subject i know anything about myself. I rarely photograph Flowers...I try to avoid them ;) I suffer from Hay fever!!!!

:(

They are probably my favourite subjects. (Despite that I don't actually know much about them, despite my wife being very knowledgeable about them and her efforts to educate me - very little sticks unfortunately.)

You must get some species of Butterfly in your garden through out the year?

When we first came here 10 years ago we got quite a few on a few days of the year, mainly on buddleia bushes. But for the past few years, almost none.

Its a shame you dont get more Butterflies occurring in your garden.
Whilst i live in a suburban area, here in Kent...I do get many species visit my garden.
One species that visits my garden is quite rare/hard to see. I actually get White letter Hairstreaks in my garden!!!
I could be one of very few people in the UK, that record this species of Butterfly in their garden! It helps that over my garden fence, hangs mature Elm trees.
Elm trees being the chosen tree, for which the female will lay her eggs on each season. This Butterfly is very small and elusive, on hot sunny days,
it basks high up, on an Elm leaf, lying flat against the leaf......But they have to come down to feed/nectar/take on moisture etc. Thats when i get real lucky,
and they enter my garden...but not for long, they soon return back up to the tree canopy.

When you have 5 minutes spare Nick, do a search for these little Butterfly jewels, they really are a treat to observe.
Cheers Paul.

Thanks.

:(

They are probably my favourite subjects. (Despite that I don't actually know much about them, despite my wife being very knowledgeable about them and her efforts to educate me - very little sticks unfortunately.)

When we first came here 10 years ago we got quite a few on a few days of the year, mainly on buddleia bushes. But for the past few years, almost none.
Do they have any foodplants for the caterpillars?

Nice work Nick

Back