Felicity Jayne, Colour or Mono

Colour

colour one for me the mono looks flat (on my laptop)

:agree: I think the colour works much better, I love the colour of her hair and those bright blue eyes. Makes the portrait.

I literally can't decide between the colour and mono versions

Beauty or beauty…
Right, tough choice!

May I close to love them both?

Both lovely portraits, but I prefer the colour one. Thanks

Normally I prefer mono, but in this case I prefer the colour. Her naturally beautiful hair/complexion makes the most of the colour image imo.
Matt

I too would suggest the colour image, the shades are too similar in the mono version compared to the colour one.

Revisited.

I can't resist this portrait, both version are very pleasurable.
The monochrome has an irresistible soft, gentle and angelic
feel to it; and the colour version is delicious too.

If I had taken the photo (I should be so lucky) I would have done exactly as you, colour AND mono and enjoyed both as they both have a lot to offer they eye.

Thanks all, I think perhaps each image has its merits and I've shared both with Felicity. She can't choose either!

Revisited.

feel to it; and the colour version is delicious too.

Thanks Kodiak - it's a good thing if you keep coming back to it!

Definitely colour, but dare I suggest removing the mole on the arm with photoshop?

If you look at either pic and let your eyes focus out, the mole really does catch the eye and I think, detracts from the image.

Colour in this comparison but the more gritty mono from flickr still wins for me :D

Definitely colour, but dare I suggest removing the mole on the arm with photoshop?

If you look at either pic and let your eyes focus out, the mole really does catch the eye and I think, detracts from the image.

Ooh no.....not for me anyway. It's an integral part of her. If it was a scab or scratch (ie temporary) then I'd clone it out but otherwise it stays in. Unless specifically requested by the subject!

Ooh no.....not for me anyway. It's an integral part of her. If it was a scab or scratch (ie temporary) then I'd clone it out but otherwise it stays in. Unless specifically requested by the subject!

As Shaheed says above, no :) The model wanted it left in too https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/felicity-jayne.650201/

Pretty much :)

Mono, I think but maybe needs a bit more contrast on the face.

Colour for me.

When I initially saw the mono, I thought yeah mono.

Then when I saw the colour, it was so much nicer in that the eyes and hair really came to life and the freckles make the shot (for me)

Beautiful photo, and has to be colour for me.

Though, I would like to try and bring her freckles out a bit more, like your edit 037 on your flickr account.

Revisited.

feel to it.

I agree, there is something about the monochrome image, which is more obvious in the Flickr version when enlarged, which makes it appear Mona Lisa like.

Loving the colour one not so much of the sepia one.

The smile maybe?

Yes it's the smile, which is obviously the same in both versions, but to me in some strange way the monochrome one seems to emphasise it more.

Nice portrait. Colour. I'm not a fan of sepia.

Although the Flickr version has more contrast than the one here I don't see either of them as sepia, just flat toned/low contrast, which is why I find it appealingly different.

Yes it's the smile, which is obviously the same in both versions, but to me in some strange way the monochrome one seems to emphasise it more.

Although the Flickr version has more contrast than the one here I don't see either of them as sepia, just flat toned/low contrast, which is why I find it appealingly different.

Really? I think you should calibrate your monitor. It clearly has a sepia-like toning. The Photoshop colour picker is backing me up, too.

Going against the grain of most on here, but neither of these are stand out, but the higher contrast flickr shot is, it has terrific impact both in the expression and processing and is by far the best one for me.

Back