Critique Fell racing (4 pics)

Edit My Images
Yes
Some photos taken at a few recent fell races around the mourne mountains. 1st time using the 10-18mm for these type of action shots to show off the landscape where the races are run. Composition is quite limited by shadows from the mountains (late evening) and the route the runners take. Hope you like.

2016_MG_101424Web WM by Colm McMullan, on Flickr

2016_MG_101577Web WM by Colm McMullan, on Flickr

2016_MG_100919Web WM by Colm McMullan, on Flickr

2016_MG_100562Web WM by Colm McMullan, on Flickr

I'm still getting used to the wide angle and not fussed on the lack of sharpness so far, but I think that may be down to my unfamiliarity with using it.

Thanks for looking.

Not my thing but looks a pretty good set, I like the aspect of #2 but it needed a better sky ... I think #3 is my pick though again could have done with a better sky or at least exposed better :)

No critique? Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Asking the question bumped up your thread to the top
and I just found it!

104 persons saw your post and no one replied. It may be
people having more to learn and not yet much to say. They
wish to be inspired possibly… I know that I posted some
time ago and, after four days, I saw that there were over
600 views and but replies.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What is cool about your takes is that the run is just a pretext
to show the very great outdoor decor in which the race was
taking place.

With fell racing I think it's a balance between showing the landscape and getting the subject pin sharp and accurately exposed. For me your shots are a little too wide angle. If you shoot really wide you need an epic backdrop to show off and then I think you get away with it. Consider using a grad filter if shooting wide as a strong sky really sets off an image. Fell running pics do offer up some good potential but if your aim is sales of pics then this is not a market to pursue!

With fell racing I think it's a balance between showing the landscape and getting the subject pin sharp and accurately exposed. For me your shots are a little too wide angle. If you shoot really wide you need an epic backdrop to show off and then I think you get away with it. Consider using a grad filter if shooting wide as a strong sky really sets off an image. Fell running pics do offer up some good potential but if your aim is sales of pics then this is not a market to pursue!
Haha, no intention of selling photos. To be honest I would rather be running in them, but as I'm injured this is the next best thing. The photos are posted on facebook for the runners to (hopefully) enjoy. I agree with you about having an epic backdrop and it would be great, but some races are very limited. I was trying to steer away from the usual full length front on body shots, which I feel could be shot anywhere and don't relate to the location.

I might give the filter a go sometime as I have a 2 and 3 stop soft edge ND.(y)

Not my thing but looks a pretty good set, I like the aspect of #2 but it needed a better sky ... I think #3 is my pick though again could have done with a better sky or at least exposed better :)
Thanks for you comments Gramps. The second shot I had the sun just to my right out of shot. Possibly could have done more with a CPL, or lower exposure and brought up the shadows. No.3 could have been better exposed definitely. My main aim was in the other direction catching runner coming over the wall. This was a quick 180 degree turn and shoot without changing the settings. The sun was setting over the other side of the mountain and my side was in shadow, so probably more dynamic range than I (or the camera) knew how to handle.

Think these are excellent captures the difficult nature of race and the scenery around .... do wonder though if a 35mm would have done the job better?

:D

Well I like this quite a lot the bold colours against the muted tones.
Yes composition wise its not for critical acclaim but its really good.

I like number one "stile"

Great set for showing the wild landscape in which the event was run, but in my opinion the perspective of the very wide angle has lost you the view of the "snake" of runners up the hill in number 2, making them look insignificant in the picture. I love number 3, just wish he was bigger in the frame, wide angle issue again.

Hope the injury heals quickly.

Think these are excellent captures the difficult nature of race and the scenery around .... do wonder though if a 35mm would have done the job better?

:D
Tintin, thanks for your comments.
You're probably right, I could have got away with my 17-50mm Tamron at the wider end and with a bit of a change of direction could have got the full line of the wall and some of the background in frame. This was the second outing using the 10-18 and more of an experiment, plus, when the runners started coming over the stile they were thick and fast, so no time to change lens. Have another few races coming up which I think will suit the tamron. Just have to get it straight in my head when and where each lens will works best to save time on the day.

Well I like this quite a lot the bold colours against the muted tones.
Yes composition wise its not for critical acclaim but its really good.

I like number one "stile"
Thanks very much. I know the composition will not be to everyone's taste and is quite limited, but very happy to get feedback and suggestions to take on board in the future of how I could improve. All a learning curve.

Thanks very much. I know the composition will not be to everyone's taste and is quite limited, but very happy to get feedback and suggestions to take on board in the future of how I could improve. All a learning curve.

Yeah sometimes people on here forget that a lot of us are just basic fun toggers and also for me its all part of a walk rather than an expedition to get uber pics.
I would have enjoyed that walk just as much as the photo options.

Great set for showing the wild landscape in which the event was run, but in my opinion the perspective of the very wide angle has lost you the view of the "snake" of runners up the hill in number 2, making them look insignificant in the picture. I love number 3, just wish he was bigger in the frame, wide angle issue again.

Hope the injury heals quickly.
Thanks David. It's hard to arrive at the races with the buzz that surrounds them to not be able to take part.

On your comment about No.3, it was taken at 10mm on my crop sensor (about 4m from the runner) purely to get as much of the background in as I could. I would have liked the runner to be larger in the frame also. To make the runner larger I could have got closer, or chose a longer focal length. With the longer focal length I would have lost an inch or so of either side of the shot. I don't mind either way, but would be keen to hear which you think would give a better/more pleasing photo.:)

Thanks David. It's hard to arrive at the races with the buzz that surrounds them to not be able to take part.

On your comment about No.3, it was taken at 10mm on my crop sensor (about 4m from the runner) purely to get as much of the background in as I could. I would have liked the runner to be larger in the frame also. To make the runner larger I could have got closer, or chose a longer focal length. With the longer focal length I would have lost an inch or so of either side of the shot. I don't mind either way, but would be keen to hear which you think would give a better/more pleasing photo.:)

I think I would prefer the get closer option or wait for the runner to run more into the frame, I like the wide landscape as it shows the runners more in context.

Back