Fellow TP52ers - Share your journey- Half year Update

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Being as we're coming to the end of Q1, I spent a little time reflecting on my journey with regards to this years 52 week challenge and thought I'd share my story so far, hopefully this may help and inspire others to join in.

We all have our own reasons for doing this, which is what makes it so good. For me my motivations and reasons were as follows
  1. To take more pictures
  2. To explore different areas of photography
  3. To try and take pictures that I personally like
  4. To make it to the end.
So in MY opinion how am I doing.
  1. My Lightroom certainly confirms that I am, I am also tending to venture out with my camera a lot more.
  2. Looking back through my photos I have noticed there are pictures in there that 12 months ago I wouldn't even have envisaged, let alone tried to photograph it. I am also spending more time "looking" for pictures. What I mean by this is that even when I'm out with my camera, I am thinking about composition, lighting, context, how would that fit a theme, so even when I haven't got a camera in hand I am "mentally" taking pictures.
  3. As a result of 2 I am now looking through my work thinking wow, I really like that, (I've even had a picture published). For the first time in years I am now looking at pictures online and in magazines and thinking mine are just as good if not better, which has boosted my confidence in trying new things.
  4. Well if I'm honest I didn't think I'd get this far. :D
So we're 25% through the year and its fair to say, I'm loving this challenge. Yes it is frustrating at times, but its all worth it when you get that shot and think "yep, I've nailed it"

The only thing I am a little disappointed in myself for is that I haven't commented as much as I would have liked. Mainly because I stay away from the thread until I've posted my picture. That way I am not influenced by the work of others.

Anyway that's my journey so far. Feel free to comment or share your experience too, hopefully we will inspire others :)

Great idea Chris and that's a brilliant write-up.
I hope we get to see some others sharing their stories so far.
And of course, with this being 're-shoot' week it's also a good opportunity for people to really test out how far their photography has come along in the last quarter.

Great idea Chris and that's a brilliant write-up.
I hope we get to see some others sharing their stories so far.
And of course, with this being 're-shoot' week it's also a good opportunity for people to really test out how far their photography has come along in the last quarter.
Thanks Sarah, I was hoping to try and motivate a few others to share their stories too. I nearly didn't join in because I thought it was another one of those competitions for the more advanced photographers. I am glad I joined in because it really isn't at all.

This way anybody who isn't sure whether this is for them or not can see that the "52" really is what you want it be. It isn't one of those competitions for the elite. Maybe next year I'll join in the TP POTY :D

Excellent Idea, here's mine.

1. To explore different areas of photography.
  2. To take more pictures
  3. Take pictures I'm Proud of
  4. Try and be more creative in my Photography and adopt rules of composition etc
  5. To make it to the end.
So Far:

1. Definitely have
2. Most definitely, it's encouraging me to take pictures regularly to meet deadlines etc but my memory cards certainly say I haven't been quiet or in a 'lull' as I have been in the past
3. Some I have taken I'd say I'm proud, but a long way to go yet
4. Most definitely doing that, thinking out the box more and trying different ways of shooting, finding the most un-interesting item and trying to tell a story with images has been fun, trying to think in thirds, using multiple features in my camera and treating everything as a new learning experience
5. I'm doing okay, and I have absolutely no intention on giving up yet

Great news Nathan, sounds like you have similar motivations to me. If somebody was to ask me now , what single thing has made the most difference to my photography, it would be this challenge :D

Yep, I totally agree,

I particularly like the 'taking that step into the unknown'; grabbing my gear and going for a walk not to just take 'a' photo (if you know what I mean) has been refreshing for me, having a set theme can be difficult but it don't half get your brain matter working hard and test's your creativity. I'd certainly recommend it to everyone...

Great idea Chris (y)

I did this challenge in 2009 when i was still learning how to use my camera which was then a Canon 30D and I'd only ever had a point and shoot before so it was all pretty bewildering and the learning curve was very steep. I learned so much that year and found I could take some decent photographs into the bargain. I did still life, landscapes, selfies before thet were called selfies :D, candids/street and abstracts. Quite a lot of different styles for a beginner.

Moving on 6 years and because MS has made walking much more difficult/painful/dangerous, balance is precarious (for last week's shot I had to concentrate very hard not to fall in the dock as I was leaning inside the boat to take the pic and MrB was holding onto me) my arms are weaker and make it difficult to keep the camera steady sometimes and I get tired much more quickly. BUT this challenge has motivated me to get off my backside and get out with my new camera. I'd swapped the 30D for a 5D but have had to get rid of that as it became too heavy and now have a Sony A7 full frame, mirrorless SLR which is fab.

Life is tough for all of us at times and photography has been my savior at times as I've found out I can take decent pictures (I've had 4 Exhibitions over here :eek:) and although my faves aren't necessarily what others like I really don't care :D I like them and that's what's important so, this time around I've more confidence and will stick to my guns, after all, rules are there to be broken ;).

I gave up twice before, in 2010 and 2012 but not this time. I'm having too much fun :D (but probably showing a bit too much flesh this time around :facepalm:)

I'm in it to the end this time :banana::banana::banana:

What a great idea for a thread (y)

My reasons for joining this years 52 were two fold to start with but that figure has soon grown. I entered the POTY last year to try and improve my photography but I have to admit to loosing motivation towards the end. I also wanted to analyse my photos and those by others and think to myself 'how would I improve that' of 'what would I have done differently'. For one reason and another, this didn't really happen.

I then happened across the 52 project thread and had a bit of a Eureka moment. The TP52 thread wasn't about competition and was much more interactive & dynamic. So I duly signed up wondering if I struggled to take a monthly photo how the hell was I going to manage a themed photo per week :eek: So far, so good :)

Another reason for joining which wasn't totally apparent at the start is that it has helped me not only to just think about how I feel about someone else's photo but actually put it into words in the photographer's thread. It wasn't something that I really felt comfortable with (and still don't sometimes) but I am feeling more and more that it is very much a positive action.

For me, the 52 project is helping me learn to:

1. Take the camera out a lot more - even on a poor weather day;
2. 'See' photos in my minds eye when I haven't got a camera;
3. Take my time and critique the photo I have just taken ( and not to rely on PP to fix things);
4. Experiment - be more creative;
5. Constructively comment on other photos more - a thought shared will hopefully help as others have helped me.

I too get frustrated at times - both at trying to get a shot and to comment on the many stunning shots that have been posted but it is sooo rewarding when I get 'that shot'!

Thanks to all for all the inspirational photos. Here's looking forward to the next 9 months :)

Some cracking points there and getting out more with the camera, I suspect, will be a common theme.

This is my 5th TP 52 in a row and I have to say, I am addicted I have a few other projects on the go but couldn't imagine not taking part.

1. Us the 52 to learn to use my camera better
2. Take more photographs
3. Get more creative
4. Meet new friends
5. Spend loads of money

So, where am I??

1. I certainly can use my camera more effectively
2. Initially I took ways too many photographs, in the hope, I guess, that there would be a decent on in there somewhere :) I take significantly less photographs now.
3. Creativity is one of the most important things in my photography and I strive to produce something different; although I don't always succeed.
4. I've met some wonderful people who have helped my on the way, taught me things and we've had some great laughs. I won't name names, but they know who they are (y)
5. OMFG, yes. I've spend a sodding fortune. Way more than I should have, including the 2.5k I spent last week.....that Jackie found out about yesterday :exit: If I could go back, though, I really wish I'd learned how to use my first DSLR and kit lens before I bought any more gear.

9 months to go and I'd like to express my gratitude to all those that have provided me with comments, support and equally important constructive criticism.

If you could see me, I'm giving you all a group hug :)

Cheers.

Great thread and I was thinking along the same lines... 13 weeks in... What have I achieved?

My overall ambition was to have shots that I liked. If I could stand it as a screensaver for a week, that was good enough. I had a go in 2010 and just shot the theme every week without thinking about whether it was any good or not. It was always about getting it done "on time". I think I made it to week 20odd before getting utterly fed up of the dross I was shooting. When I took my A2 in Photography, we had to do a theme a week but it wasn't just a photo, it was shoots, writeups, contact sheets and outcomes. Exhausting. My photography isn't improving leaps and bounds. It's a slow process and there's a lot of experimentation. That's good I think for one's overall development as an artist. I need to recognise that and just Take It Easy. My second real goal is to make it to December.

I had a go at a 12 but still struggled to find the time. Life throws things our way, and the things that get thrown my way tend to leave me very little time for photography. That's part of the reason why I ended up having yet another go. I wasn't picking my camera up often enough.

But I'm realising that getting a shot a week isn't too hard. Maybe the writeups, the contact sheets and the obligation to get a few comments in pile the pressure on, but I'm accepting that I can only do what I can do. Last week and (probably) this week will be really busy around the house. I might not get any comments in but I'll put a photo up. Maybe next week, things will calm down and I'll get around to those people who have been kind enough to stop by my thread at the very least. Maybe I won't...

I just want to say a huge thankyou to the folks that have stopped by my thread over the past couple of weeks at least. You're awesome.

Thank you all, for taking the time to add your stories. Personally I've found it interesting to read all the different viewpoints and motivations.

1 comment in particular set me thinking and that was Andys (@posiview ) comment about taking less shots. A very interesting point indeed. It is far too easy to machine gun everything hoping that you will get that one fantastic picture. I for one have definitely started to "think" more about what is in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter.

Something else I've noticed is that I am becoming more confident with shooting JPEG. Previously I've always shot RAW to give a bit of a safety net. Most of my still life images have all been in JPEG.

Keep the stories coming, let's inspire the future masses :D

Hi Chris et al. Just want to say ....

Although half my pictures so far this year have been taken at home, the other half have had me out on a mission to Kensington Gardens, the British Museum, Bond St., Shad Thames, Battersea Park, the Science Museum ... some of these places more than once, plus a dozen other places in search of 'that' shot that may or may not have been captured and posted on here.

And the other half ... taken at home ... have taught me so much more about my camera and how to use it.

With no 52's, I can't think of anything that could give me that same sense of purpose, renewed on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
Great idea Chris,

My reasons for doing this:

To improve my photos,
To move out of my comfort zone and try new things,
To spend more time thinking about the shot rather than just being trigger happy,

so far...

Well, I've taken a couple of shots I'm really happy with, others I'm not so happy with, but this was always going to take time and I feel as if I'm making some progress.
I'm certainly trying out new things - before doing this challenge, I took very few shots indoors, but nearly half of the shots I've taken are indoor ones - and I'll soon be messing about with the wonders of flash as well
This is happening - but very slowly, and I usually miss something :oops: :$...

Just thinking - that all sounds like it's all very serious, but it isn't, I'm honestly having great fun - even when I'm getting my brain into gear to think of the shots I could take for the different themes. It's great to see everyone else's take on the same theme, and the comments and feedback are fantastic - I know how much time it takes to comment on the other entries on the thread, so it really is appreciated.

I'd like to be more confident when commenting on other people's work, but I know I'm very much a learner - hopefully that's something that will come in time as well :)

Good Idea for a thread Chris.....

Like Andy I'm in to my 5th year & just can't imagine not doing the 52......I love having a theme ( even if I don't actually like the theme's sometimes :confused: ) to shoot to , I think it's called addiction....My name is Lynne & I'm a photography addict :D

Main points for this year :

1- Improve my PP
2 - Try new things
3 - Meet people who understand the addiction
4 - Visit new places
5 -Stop spending money

1....think I'm improving slowly
2 - yup, mainly pp
3 - over the last 5 years I've met some truly brilliant people , who ( I think anyway) have become really good friends , they understand what it's all about & don't get bored talking about photography :D You guy's know who you are....
4 - in abundance , all the time with more on the horizon...got the travel bug big time
5 - not a prayer.......:LOL: but you only live once so better make the most of it !

So, thanks to everyone for making the 52 what it is , for all the encouragment , crit & praise , it all helps....& one day I'll get it right (y)

Hi Chris ...I was just browsing around and found your thread ....I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's comments so far :)

So, this is my second year in the 52's, why am I doing this...that's easy to answer, because I love taking part in the challenge and look forward every week to seeing the new topic.

I've only taken a real interest in photography over the last two to three years and I really wish I discovered it sooner. But in a sense that makes me even more of an addict because I want to squash in all the time and years that I've missed.

I feel comfortable on the 52's because it's not a contest, it's a community, I don't feel on a back foot because I don't have the technical knowledge that others have, but I use what they say, and watch what they do to try and improve constantly.

The 52 makes me not just 'look', it makes me 'see ' so many things that I would otherwise miss, I definitely take much more notice of the world around me....it's a truly amazing place.

The 52 is inspiring ....and it's all you lovely people with your comments and encouragement that help make it so ....so a huge thank you to everyone from me.

:ty:

The 52 makes me not just 'look', it makes me 'see ' so many things that I would otherwise miss, I definitely take much more notice of the world around me...

Double edged sword that, Susie, @susiejb, it can be very rewarding seeing things with a fresh eye....but tiring as well :)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Great thread Chris, I've only just caught up with it TBH.
I had 3 aims in doing this
1)My main aim was to make more than 3 weeks, to beat my previous challenge that failed epically (hence the title)
2) to shoe horn in as many gob shots as possible, I think thats going quite well too (y)
3) maybe shoot something other than gob shots now and again. I managed that too (y)

I have now completed my 3 aims, I can crash and burn with a clear conscience,
and a satisfied smug grin :D

You aint getting away THAT easily :bat:
So far so good :p
But as per the other thread, Dean, Living out of a suit case for the last 3 and at least the next two weeks,
is not helping :(
But I'll pick it up at some point, even if I drop a few weeks :)

my 4 aims

1 get out and use the camera more
2 take photos of things that catch my eye
3 Experiment more
4 think about the photos i am taking

this is my first 52 so far i think i am getting out more to use the camera so thats a tick for number 1
i used to only take photos of cars but i am starting to take photos of different things so id say thats number 2 ticked
i am trying different types of photography also starting to use the softbox i have so i would say thats number 3 ticked

im starting to think more before i take the photo ie can i find a better vantage point or a angle that would make the photo stand out more so id say that ticks number 4

i started the 52 in the hope i would learn more and improve my photography more so far i think im starting to learn more and i am improving bit by bit last year i would go a month or two without taking the camera out , so on that note the 52 is getting me to use the camera weekly i hope that i stick with it and improve as i go and i make it to the end and had fun along the way

I started this project 5 years ago, only to expect to see it through once, but 5 goes later im still here! Started out to mainly be a bit more diverse in the things I portrayed, to give me new ideas and a different way of thinking. It also gets me out with the camera and keeps my mind going, which is very welcome as I suffer with some kind of problem with my nervous system (or so they say) and i can become exhausted, have blackouts, be unable to walk at times. I sometimes run out of steam to go any further, but looking back on what i have acheived proves to me that I can do it, and the direction is there for when i am feeling better.
I would like to think that I have improved over the last few years in my photography, but I certainly know there is always something to learn. Next few months are going to be challenging, but will certainly see it through no matter what.
A big thank you is needed to for everyone who has supported and followed my threads over the years it is always greatly appreciated.

OK, it may be a little premature but I thought a bit of moral support all round was needed.

There's been some great stories from everyone and it seems a lot of the reasons are along similar lines. However we are nearly half way through the year, and I think many of us are starting to feel the strain and need a little nudge. So with the community spirit we have I thought about sharing how the last quarter has been might help to spur each other on.

To sum it up, it has been tough. Both with finding time to take pictures and likewise commenting. As tends to happen life has gotten in the way of late with family duties, gardening, diy etc. You all know what I mean. Because of this I have found myself getting behind in the themes and because I didn't want to influence any ideas I may have, I have avoided looking at the main page, in turn this has resulted in my comments and general activity reducing. Have there been times I've thought stuff it, yes, but then pride gets in the way and my commitment to making it through the year. So how am I remedying this, simple "cheat" :D

Well I don't consider it cheating, it's more looking at it from a different angle. Initially I would see the theme and think what image can I make that fits, now because I have less time I am looking at the opportunities I have and thinking how can I fit this into the themes, hence my recent multi shot offerings. If I'm honest the last ones aren't necessarily to the standard of the early ones, but in my mind it was more about creative thinking rather than technical excellence.

Anyway that's enough waffle from me. As always it would be great to hear how others are faring with their personal challenges.

Last edited:
I started well and managed to keep up but now I am really behind. To start it wasn't too bad because I was looking forward to doing the photos, the first few themes were not to bad to interpret, and it got dark earlier (I work outside) so I had more time. But now with hard some hard themes, longer days, and generally just being shattered I have been very slack on photos and comments.

Another problem I have found is that I end up doing a lot of the themes as table top shoots mainly for the reasons above but also it does seem there is no other way in my mind to take a lot of the themes. I enjoy doing table top but its not up there in my normal genres of photography.

So what am I going to do? Not give up that's for sure!! I notice when you get behind you don't get the comments on your images that you do when you're up to date, and looking forward to reading these comments area what helped push me to get the images up within a week when I started. As Chris said I also find I don't comment as much when I'm behind.

The 52 ideas is a brilliant one and I have been learning from it. I enjoy seeing everyone's else's images, even if I don't comment, and being part of a little comuntity within an exeleant photography forum.

So here's what I'm going to TRY and do. Starting with this Fridays theme I will aim to get them up within a week again, but will also shoot one of the themes I haven't done. This will hopefully mean I get more comments on my images, I comment more on others images, I get the bug for it back, I catch up.

What else am I going to do?? PULL MY FINGER OUT!! ;)

Excellent response and attitude Mike (@Raptor Mike), I've certainly found that the better weather/longer days has been a hindrance because pressures start to creep in from elsewhere, ie. spend time with family/jobs around the house etc.

One thing I will add is, I don't think the drop in comments is necessarily down to you being behind, if you look at the spreadsheet in week 1 there were 100 participants, we are now down to a quarter of that with probably only a handful of the remaining members up to date. If those who are behind are the same as you and me, then they may not be commenting on anybody's pictures. Also as others post more recent images our threads get pushed further down the page. Just a thought and I look forward to seeing your catch-up :D

This is my 232nd TP52 week. No missed weeks, no jokers and I have to say, it's getting harder.

I was looking back through the last few years and I have to say my photographs, technique, execution and creativity have dramatically improved. The flip side is, and should be, that I have a real desire to post creative photographs.

It is mentally challenging; always having the themes on my mind.

Entertain....it's not an hard theme but producing something original, which I always aside to do is, getting harder.

I have Friday off work and have decided to visit Yorkshire Sculpture Park for some inspiration. Always a great place to go.

One thing I feel is lacking when feedback is given is criticism. I'm guilty of this as well, especially when I'm trying to catch up on members' submissions. Positive feedback is relatively easy, but it's not as easy to give constructive criticism. I would ask that we all embrace the real need to give constructive criticism....after all, we will never learn if we all slip into Flickr, "great shot" mode.

Anyway, I and still enjoying the trill of seeing the themes and looking for interesting interpretations.

It has been said elsewhere that 52s are pointless. I disagreed in the relevant thread and I disagree now. I've learned a lot photographically, visited some great places with members, and most of all IMO, met some great folk, folk I now consider friends (y)

Cheers all.

It has been said elsewhere that 52s are pointless.
I'd not seen that, but I agree its not pointless, there is a great sense of camaraderie amongst those taking part,
and it does push you to trying new things I know I have had to, gob shots, however enthralling they maybe, doesn't cover every theme,
no matter how hard I try :D

Speaking personally, my epic fail has been somewhat! Working away and living out of a suit case for the last couple of months,
and a family ( I won't call it a crisis, but it could have been) issue off the back of that too,
left me with little appetite to pick up a camera, let alone continue for awhile, at least.
But I'll get back to it soon :)

One thing I feel is lacking when feedback is given is criticism. I'm guilty of this as well, especially when I'm trying to catch up on members' submissions. Positive feedback is relatively easy, but it's not as easy to give constructive criticism. I would ask that we all embrace the real need to give constructive criticism....after all, we will never learn if we all slip into Flickr, "great shot" mode.
I'm right there with you Andy, I would much prefer to have honest crit as long as it is constructive, no 'I just don't' like it' type crit, giving the reason you don't like it, maybe it's too crowded, too tight a crop, not liking the angle etc :)

Anyway, I'm sure I joined the 52 four years ago the same as most, to get more use from my camera, to improve my photography, to learn new and varied techniques and well, to have a bit of fun :)

Most of us left in the 52 again this year should be big enough to take Honest crit, and to still be able to use that crit to improve our shots in one way or another ??

Anyway, I and still enjoying the trill of seeing the themes and looking for interesting interpretations.

It has been said elsewhere that 52s are pointless. I disagreed in the relevant thread and I disagree now. I've learned a lot photographically, visited some great places with members, and most of all IMO, met some great folk, folk I now consider friends (y)

Cheers all.
Here here mate (y)

I first had a bash at the this in 2013 I think it was, gave up very quickly (in January) My aim this year is to actually complete the challenge. I found photography quite by chance about 3-4 years ago. Although I had always had a little camera to capture my children growing up and quite enjoyed it. I never dreamt that one day I would want one of those technical cameras that you have to push, turn the dials and if you are lucky you'd get a nice or brilliant shot. I eventually took the plunge and brought a DSLR because I could see how crap my pictures were on the screen and not waste money on film. I absolutely love photography but just do not have the time to go out there and take pictures as much as I would like. I do not pick some of the technique up quickly but have no intention of letting that deter me.

MY plans for this year were to actually finish the challenge:eek:. As Chris says we are nearly at the half way point. I aim to have caught up by then, nearly there now. I will then make more effort to take the picture again in the right week. I have found the more behind I got the more behind I was letting myself because it had almost become the norm. I have therefore not put the same amount of though into the shots as I would have liked. Some have had more thought than others. Some I've enjoyed taking others have frustrated me as they have not been as easy as I thought they were going to be. I may have muttered the odd obscenity under my breath but in a strange way I have still learnt from all these experiences.

I also want this year to learn more about my camera and to think about changing settings. I have got better at this and probably suffer more if i am out with my OH who just likes to point and shoot. I have also started to self criticise my own shots which is something I haven't been always able to do.

I also wanted to think more about the shots I was going to take and I must admit I have almost become obsessed with thinking about photos to take and see potential much more when I am out and about.
One of the good thing about the forum is that their is lots of different genres and this itself has given me ideas and everyone has different abilities.
No doubt in years to come I will look back and think it wasn't difficult after all.

Although I started off really keen and eager, like the new girl in class. Life, like for a few people on the forum gets in the way for one reason or another. I enjoy commenting on others with the limited knowledge that I have got and have also found myself thinking particular thoughts about an image and if I wait a day or two somebody has made a comment which has reflected on my thoughts again this has given me inspiration to carry on.

There are other areas that I would like to improve but there is always next year:)

It is good to see that some of the forum members are longstanding members of the annual challenge and this definitely shows in their pictures. I look forward to wondering I wonder what they will shoot this week. It's the community spirit.
So despite lifes setbacks and time constraints I am still here and with more focus than of late and am looking forward to the remainder of the topics. As I've actually done this weeks topic already "Is it friday yet?" :banana:

Week37! when did that happen!

All down hill from here guys, I can say so far I've thoroughly enjoyed it. And its definitely got me thinking about my shots more and more importantly picking up the camera and shooting. Life has been busy but I like to 'retreat' to behind the camera so its not too bad for me (apart from when you have a stonking theme) How's everyone else finding it?

How's everyone else finding it?
Life all went crazy for me a few months ago, and I dropped out for awhile.
Deciding it was too late to catch up I drop by now and again, especially when the theme allows for some serious shoe horning, like recently :D

Just had a look at the spread sheet, and so far I've missed just over half, but hopfully I'll finish on at least better than 50/50.
And of course a big thanks must go to Dean, @Dark Knight for keeping said sheet up to date (y)

well the time has come for me to admit defeat i have come to the frame of mind that i am falling to far back and dont have the time to catch up so im going to bow out guys &girls i will keep popping in to the 52s to see how every one is getting on and fingers crossed i can do the 52 next year

As with other I have fallen behind however I am not for admitting defeat, I aim to finish and hopefully I'll fill all 52 :D

As others have said it has made me view images in a new way and to think more about my shots, as well as having learnt a few new techniques.

I have fallen way behind too, though I keep managing a few catch ups on rare occasions.

Work is hectic and well depsair certainly fits with staffing situations :mad: And to top it all my daughter had an awful allergic reaction to some medicine the other week, so not really finding the time to think about the 52, i will finish though, but goodness knows when :eek: Did do southport airshow yesterday, need to look at the themes to see if i can fit any in!

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've noticed this thread before, but it's a great idea.

Why did I start the 52 for 2015? Sometimes I ask myself that too, but I guess:

1. To give myself an incentive to get out there to look for and take photos.
  2. To try different things.
  3. To learn (both from trying new things and from the experience of others) and improve.

How do I think I've done?

I've always carried a camera around with me, albeit an old Lumix compact, however it's often just sat in my bag. I now find that I'll chuck the 1100d into a bag / the boot of the car even if I'm not going out with the intension of taking photos.

I've also found that I'm looking around more for something that would be interesting to take a photo of, for instance (and this isn't part of my 52)

Reflections
by Tim White, on Flickr

I was out taking (you guessed it) railway photos but was looking for something a little more off beat...
Likewise, without the challenge, I probably wouldn't have taken the 8 (blimey 8!!!) tabletop shots or tried the compositing in week 13

Am I learning / improving? I'd like to think I am, but you'll have to be the judge of that. I look back over the shots this year and frankly there are a few absolutely awfull shots. I wonder what I was thinking. For instance my crowd shot in week 11. I wasn't comfortable taking 'people' shots, but week 32 (Entertain) was far better.
I've also not been afraid to post the 'I should have done better' shots. For instance the catchup for Pale and week 28's Spiral - I knew what I wanted, I didn't get fantastic shots, but I've posted them in the hope that I get some pointers to allow me to do it better next time.

I've definitely enjoyed the challenge this year and I'm hoping to have finally caught up by Dec 31 ;)

Back