Ferrari Rig Shots

Name
Sammy
Edit My Images
Yes
How much of the blur is motion-induced from actual driving vs. added in post?
I like the BTS shots, thanks for sharing, but something about the motion ones looks odd, not sure if it's me or the photo :)

I like the BTS shots, thanks for sharing, but something about the motion ones looks odd, not sure if it's me or the photo :)

the car isn't driven, it's pushed over a long (30 second) exposure with the engine off. The motion is entirely from the movement of the car, nothing added in photoshop just the rig removed.

Not sure why the motion would look odd, that's the way it came out from the car moving along the road :)

Do you just add the driver back in from the static shot or any of the bodywork too?

I imagine if it was driven for a 30 sec long exposure it'd just be a huge green blur on all sides! Fair point :)

I can't put my finger on what I even find odd to be honest!

Do you just add the driver back in from the static shot or any of the bodywork too?

yeah I stay at the camera and get the car owner to do the pushing (crouched down behind the car as you can see in one of the bts shots) and then remove the ND filter and take a static shot of him pretending to drive. The two are then merged in photoshop.

I imagine if it was driven for a 30 sec long exposure it'd just be a huge green blur on all sides! Fair point :)

I can't put my finger on what I even find odd to be honest!

yeah and the camera shake would be incredible. You need to keep it as stable and smooth as possible. Hence the engine off. The car only actually moves about 2-3 metres per shot!

I actually prefer the backshots Sammy - red tones are lovely and doesn't have that clarity effect, ghosting that is in the post production. Just my preference on the red tones. My favourite is the last one!
The night shot was good you posted on RMS but increase the brightness a bit so the sky is not distorted!
Keep up the good job!

I like them a lot, is that a home made rig with manfrotto clamps or?

I think they're great but I do agree that the motion blur looks a bit odd. They also look a bit cartoon-like to me.

I like them a lot, is that a home made rig with manfrotto clamps or?

thanks, It's a 6m telescopic carbonfibre rig from a company called CarbonRig. They are not fully set up yet and I have been doing some product testing for them :)

their page is www.facebook.com/carbonrig but like I said they are not currently selling products until full launch :D

the rest of my kit is manfrotto suction cups, clamps and camera bracket etc.

I think they're great but I do agree that the motion blur looks a bit odd. They also look a bit cartoon-like to me.

thanks, I'm not sure why you think it's odd. Looks like any other rig shot that is done.

your comment did make me smile tho, in summary you think the shots are great but partly odd and cartoon-like lol. I guess there is a compliment in there somewhere haha.

thanks, I'm not sure why you think it's odd. Looks like any other rig shot that is done.

your comment did make me smile tho, in summary you think the shots are great but partly odd and cartoon-like lol. I guess there is a compliment in there somewhere haha.

Yeah sorry im three hours ahead and I was just off to bed when I posted so might have been a bit blunt.... they're excellent IMO but it's just something about the blur that looks false.

Anyway, I know nothing about this kind of photography so take anything I say with a pinch of salt!

Back