Few from Paignton Zoo

Love the little Lion, but think you could lift the light in the eyes a little. I nearly headed down there myself this morning, but went back to bed instead. Did you see the Maned Wolf cubs?

Hi Nick, sadly the Wolves were tucked up in bed - as were alot of things as it was cold and wet !
Cheers for the crit, Im not sure my PP skills extend that far, but will have a play !

I thought i'd have a little tinker with it, but my monitor is only calibrated with the Windows 10 facility and is a bit off. The window there is a bit rubbish, so it's never going to be perfect

Last edited:
Thanks- can you give a quick run down on how you did that ? Ive had a little play and it makes them look like they have cataracts lol.
All zoo windows are rubbish,sadly.

For a quick edit, I usually just use a dodge brush on the whole eyeball, set to highlights, then burn the pupil area on a midtone/shadow setting.

Sounds like PS rather than LR ?
Im a gibbering idiot when PS is concerned.

Sounds like PS rather than LR ?
Im a gibbering idiot when PS is concerned.
Yeah, sorry. As it's a jpeg, then I used PS. With the raw, I'd only raise the exposure on the eyes in Lightroom, maybe adjust contrast and saturation at the same time, but usually make final adjustments in PS. Probably not the best way to do it ;)

Ah, with you. I only shoot RAW and then convert for web......
C+S is always boosted with a small amount of sharpening if required.....

Love the little Lion, but think you could lift the light in the eyes a little. I nearly headed down there myself this morning, but went back to bed instead. Did you see the Maned Wolf cubs?

I was going to say the exact same thing but as I use paint shop pro I'm not much help with how you'd achieve it in LR. I would up the contrast a bit and then use the exposure and 'recover shadows' tools in PSP.

All you really need to do with both, is a little levels boost, warm them up a tad, as they are both a little blue, ( cool) and apply some sharpen.
Nice set Mark (y)

Mark-edit.jpg

Mark-edit-ii.jpg

come on. you have been posting that vague advice for years now. what exactly do you mean?
You mean the 18 months that you have been a member? ( or are we talking about some previous life or other? )
I'm flattered that you follow me so closely (y)

Ok Ok, I'll start with the basics, hopefully your'll find them idiot proof (y)

Right hand side slider goes left a bit, to make it brighter
Left hand side slider goes right a bit to make it darker.
The middle slider generally leave that alone, but it can be used to balance the whole image if you wish.

So as you can see from the screen shot, you are more or less matching the histogram
HTH (y)

Ps.jpg

Last edited:
You mean the 18 months that you have been a member? I'm flattered that you follow me so closely (y)

Ok Ok, I'll start with the basics, hopefully your'll find them idiot proof (y)

Right hand side slider goes left a bit, to make it brighter
Left hand side slider goes right a bit to make it darker.
The middle slider generally leave that alone, but it can be used to balance the whole image if you wish.

So as you can see from the screen shot, you are more or less matching the histogram
HTH (y)

View attachment 105519

Nice set Mark :)

That idiot proof is great for me @Cobra as you learn something every day :)

Thanks everyone thats commented.
@Cobra - like your edits and can see the difference, but your demo shows the Belzebub thats called "Photoshop", and sadly, not its waaaay much easier to understand cousin "Lightroom" that I prefer.... ;)

Any furher advice please ?

but your demo shows the Belzebub thats called "Photoshop",
Photoshop is processing software, ( God) light room is a cataloguing medium. (Son of Satan)
but as I understand it, you do have control over the levels in Light-room?

Photoshop is processing software, ( God) light room is a cataloguing medium. (Son of Satan)

:)
In that case, Im an atheist !!!
Cant stand PS Im afraid, but yes, LR does indeed do levels.

LR does indeed do levels.
It can't be much different from PS I would imagine, both being adobe products..

btw I've tried to use light room on many occasions, but find that I need to open photoshop to finish what I was doing, so its ACR ( Adobe Camera Raw, which also opens and manipulates Jpegs)
or straight to CS5 if its a quick tweak.

I've only got Paint Shop Pro... and that has levels control so LR must do!

Back