Few Shots from Boxing Gym Shoot

I dig your shots Matt,
and the one that gets me is #2…
unusual take, cool!

Last edited:
Those are very cool I like the lighting and the reality of the colours and tones in these.
Gaz

Great pictures and agree with the tone - slightly cold but gives you feel for the gym and atmosphere

Very nice set- I would be tempted to crop away some of the space to the right of shot in No4
to exclude the punch bag and therefore placing the subject in a 3rd

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Strong dramatic set- rather direct lighting helps conveys the shadowy, tense aura. Like it a lot (and best of luck to your mate in his chosen career).

having photographed boxers in poorly lit gyms I appreciate your shots. Hope your mate does well

Nice set! I like #4. Is that shot with natural light? Looks a bit too high ISO, but I really like it.

Many Thanks Yiannis, Spot on. It was natural lighting, Very low light area. So the ISO was cranked up to get the shutter fast enough to freeze the subject but show some sign of movement/motion on the speedball.

having photographed boxers in poorly lit gyms I appreciate your shots. Hope your mate does well

Cheers Steve, He's been called up to the Senior GB Team Camp, Being assessed and Training with them. So Fingers crossed.

Reactions: riu
Very nice set- I would be tempted to crop away some of the space to the right of shot in No3
to exclude the punch bag and therefore placing the subject in a 3rd

Les ;)

Do you mean No4? I did think about it in edit, but I kinda liked the punchbag in the back ground. I would have cropped it exactly that way if it was dead space with no relevance to the shot. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Appreciated

Do you mean No4? I did think about it in edit, but I kinda liked the punchbag in the back ground. I would have cropped it exactly that way if it was dead space with no relevance to the shot. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Appreciated

yes I did mean No4 and it's a cracking image- just a personal preference ref the crop

Les

Boxing myself i know how 99% of the gyms are so really impressed how clean and sharp these images are, really nice set they work well.

These are a really nice set. I think the images work well as I've seen a few boxing sets with staged punch shots that look fake and over done. The only thing I'd like to change a little is the highlights off the flash. You might not be able to control them fully, but I find they draw my eye e.g. his chest image 1 and the punch bag (that looks like it would tone down a little). Your choice though, maybe you prefer them to add to a more raw feel.

Back