FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

Well I've succumbed to persuasion!

If I manage to keep up with each months entries is to be seen and I offer no gaurantees.

I have to confess that a few of the themes are very much out of my comfort zone, in particular "rule of thirds".....I don't do rules, particularly not with photography. I just compose, meter and expose what "feels right" at the time as opposed to what is supposedly technically correct.

Anyway, we'll see........

If I manage to keep up with each months entries is to be seen and I offer no gaurantees.

I have to confess that a few of the themes are very much out of my comfort zone, in particular "rule of thirds".....I don't do rules, particularly not with photography. I just compose, meter and expose what "feels right" at the time as opposed to what is supposedly technically correct.

Get your crowbar out, Asha! Or in this case, perhaps one of those meter rules that folds up into 3... ;)

Anyway, we'll see........

Well I always thought the rule of thirds mainly applied to scenery e.g. 2/3rds sky and 1/3rd land or 2/3rds land and 1/3rd sky so shouldn't be a problem for you (y)

in particular "rule of thirds".....I don't do rules, particularly not with photography. I just compose, meter and expose what "feels right" at the time as opposed to what is supposedly technically correct.

Isn't that the point of the theme, though? Maybe think of it as a subject rather than a technique? Really, it's no different than any other subject, you're just looking for something that works well split into thirds rather than an opening or a pattern etc. Instead of forcing the rule of thirds into an existing composition where it might not work, look for a subject that already lends itself to it.

The theme that's outside of my comfort zone is "stranger portrait". I'm going to loosely interpret that as "sneakily take a photo of some rando on the street when they're not looking and then run away so that I don't have to talk to anyone" :D
That's me exactly! One of the reasons I've decided to go to the photography show with Andy is that I can probably carry a camera and sneak some photos of strangers without too much risk!! :D

The theme that's outside of my comfort zone is "stranger portrait". I'm going to loosely interpret that as "sneakily take a photo of some rando on the street when they're not looking and then run away so that I don't have to talk to anyone" :D
That's me exactly! One of the reasons I've decided to go to the photography show with Andy is that I can probably carry a camera and sneak some photos of strangers without too much risk!! :D
I'm seeing this as a fairly wide category, rather than the subject actually engaging with the camera? Person in the landscape, day out at museum, garden, any other event where people perform (WW2 days?) etc. :thinking:

I might end up resorting to a candid portrait or somewhere where people are happy to have their picture taken (like Carl's WW2 day suggestion), but might try and force myself to get an actual stranger's portrait first. I rarely do this and the though of it makes me pretty uncomfortable because I'm quite a shy person, but on the few times I have done so in the past it's always worked out ok.

Extra points if the subject actually engages with the photographer?

I've now done this several, and it was terrifying each time, but twice I've got shots I loved (even if the focus was a little bit off in my panic). Stall holders in a market is an option, although those aer the ones that didn't give me good images. Mostly the Carl and Janet model, though. Edinburgh Festival Fringe is a good hunting ground... but the wrong month!

:clap::clap::clap:

TBF you could just take a portrait of Andy, there's nowt stranger than him!

Oy, watch it you.... I'll have you know that there are many people stranger than me, well when I say many....

I haven't got anything yet :eek:

Someone had the same idea as me and has already entered it (and it's a much better picture than I would have managed!). I used a roll of film at Chester Zoo on Monday so there may be something usable on there. If not, I've got a very short window of Saturday afternoon to take something! o_O

I haven't got anything yet :eek:

Someone had the same idea as me and has already entered it (and it's a much better picture than I would have managed!). I used a roll of film at Chester Zoo on Monday so there may be something usable on there. If not, I've got a very short window of Saturday afternoon to take something! o_O
Fingers crossed for you Janet! (y) (my film at Filmdev now, so may be in the same boat as you!)

I hope I'll have something, standing around waiting on foma and it's comedy reciprocity© and having to be very still so I don't knock the camera.

Just sent off a roll I started months ago and it was in fact XP2 not fuji colour. Doesn't bode well! I did have a go at a few openings so hopefully one of them might do. Poor Mr Filmdev is going to have a rush on this week!

Nothing here. Still plenty of time though.

:gulp:

Mine's in the Filmdev queue too.

Not sure I'm going to like what's on it but I live in hope.

Agonising over two photos, I'm really stuck, just gonna have to resort to a last minute, scotch fuelled decision ...

Post em in 'ere and let us decide for you! :LOL::LOL:

Quite a few entries this month....

All pretty good too. Love seeing people's takes on the same idea.

Just scanning a couple to see if there's anything worth posting.....

I've got two possibles, neither are going to bother the ones that are there but I'm trying to decide which one to go for.

Damn, somebody remind me to post a photo tonight, somehow the end of the month has snuck up on me :runaway:

Damn, somebody remind me to post a photo tonight, somehow the end of the month has snuck up on me :runaway:

I’ll try and take some time out of my “Taking back control” celebrations tomorrow night to remind you.

Wish that happened to me. The end of January is something I beg to arrive ASAP. By the 21st, I'm counting every day...

Wish that happened to me. The end of January is something I beg to arrive ASAP. By the 21st, I'm counting every day...
I'm sat here thing OMG one month gone already, still the nights are a bit lighter, it's sometimes still light when I'm walking to my car.

I’ll try and take some time out of my “Taking back control” celebrations tomorrow night to remind you.
Yes, well, only if you can tear yourself away from the big ben bongs :)

I knew a stiff scotch after a long day would make deciding easier, photo posted ...

Back