FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

It's a tricky one alright.... I think that, from my point of view as I'm mainly sticking to the stay at home rule, knowing the theme a bit earlier would be a help, so long as it isn't 'take a picture of a wild elephant' :D

I could always drive past your house looking fierce :)

It's a tricky one alright.... I think that, from my point of view as I'm mainly sticking to the stay at home rule, knowing the theme a bit earlier would be a help, so long as it isn't 'take a picture of a wild elephant' :D
A wild elephant? That would just be ridiculous. A bison on the other had should be achievable for everyone.

A wild elephant? That would just be ridiculous. A bison on the other had should be achievable for everyone.

You laugh but I came across a couple of signs a few years ago when I was out exploring!
That path and one like it was my planned route for getting to a loch I wanted to have a look at.
full

Poll added, get votin'.

@TheBigYin, can May's entry thread be made a "sticky" please Mark..

Last day for April’s vote.

thanks for the heads up - i'd have missed it otherwise :)

some stunners in there, especially considering current strictures...

Congratulations to Mark @Threeracers good to see it pushed all the way by Carl, Asha and Steveo_ncg, points and leader board up soonish.

@RaglanSurf
I suspect there is an answer already posted somewhere but I cannot find it.
The results and standings...... why are some names typed in black whilst most are in blue text?

@RaglanSurf
I suspect there is an answer already posted somewhere but I cannot find it.
The results and standings...... why are some names typed in black whilst most are in blue text?
Let me know when you find out.

If you're using the same spreadsheet as Carl and I used then the names in blue have entered every month and the names in black haven't.

Andy has pm'd you. It looks like there is a problem with the sort on April's results.

If you're using the same spreadsheet as Carl and I used then the names in blue have entered every month and the names in black haven't.

Andy has pm'd you. It looks like there is a problem with the sort on April's results.
Thanks Janet (y)

I was hoping that the rules affecting our ability to get out and about and take photographs would have been lifted in a more universal way but it’s not looking good. So to make it something achievable by all, whether confined to the house or if you’re lucky enough to be able to get out in the countryside, for June’s Mystery Month theme I have chosen to go with

Bokeh or blurry or if I was taking part I’d call it “that indefinable outoffocusness”

I know it’s not ideal and tbh I had something much more challenging in mind but it’s just not feasible at the moment.

Please don’t get hung up on ‘bokeh’ I know there are lenses out there described as “bokeh” monsters but don’t let that get in the way, I’d like to think the good folk of f&c can be a little more creative, that’s why I’ve widened the theme to include “blurry” and “outoffocusness”.

I hope everyone sees this as achievable, I did come up with a couple of other choices that can be done indoors like still life or macro but we’ve had those before so I hope you forgive me for this rather undefined theme.

Can mystery moth photos be taken from now, or do we have to wait for the start of Jun?

Can mystery moth photos be taken from now, or do we have to wait for the start of Jun?
Good point Chris, anything taken from yesterday onwards is fine.

Filmdev aren't taking new orders from now as they have a back log. Just seen the news on their twitter feed.
I see it says until further notice, so that'll not be next week by the sound of it.
Please note due to the severe reduction in our capacity during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the large backlog of orders we have at present we are unfortunately no longer accepting any new orders until further notice.
5:28 pm · 15 May 2020·Twitter Web App

Oh, em, gee!

I just got my files back from them yesterday? I didn't notice any delay - maybe a week from post to dev? Maybe they need a break!

Got mine back this afternoon thankfully

Oops, my film went in the post yesterday! :(

some s***ty cheap extension tubes that have a tendency to seize / hold the lens captive,
Dragged over from the entries thread to avoid a discussion going on there but one thing that might help is to go round the threads with a soft pencil, the graphite acts as a lubricant and it works for filter threads

Dragged over from the entries thread to avoid a discussion going on there but one thing that might help is to go round the threads with a soft pencil, the graphite acts as a lubricant and it works for filter threads
I used cycle grease. Mostly works!

Thanks Mark

Well done @FishyFish, I'm still struggling with this Focus thing, apart from an out of focus photo, which I am an expert at :) I have no clue what to shoot.

I'm not entirely happy with mine but I've left it too late. Got sucked in by the gg and looking at the negative it's not great. Ah well scan it in the morning.

Back